Author Topic: stong relationships  (Read 5537 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: stong relationships
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2008, 12:52:33 am »
This is a really good question... because I've never been in a long-term relationship. :(  So, I'd surely like to know.

I think we need to define "long".  I'm a serial long-term relationship person.  I rarely find anyone I like/am attracted to who is attracted back, so once I do, we almost always click and the relationship stretches to years before it all falls apart.

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2008, 12:57:46 am »
I like this thread.

Maybe now we can have another similar one SAME TIME:
one which separates males, even gays;

and, also one for females, even lesbians;

just an idea!!

Maybe such a survey could tell us something??

Hugs!!

Offline forsythia12

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2008, 01:48:45 am »
yeah, i don't know what a "long" relationship is.  i've been married for 7 years, (as of march 24th), and we've been together for 9....so i guess that's long....but everyone is different.
i'm just curious about what makes a relationship tick....or work.....for an extended period of time.  a relationship that's been tested and true.
my marriage is strong....but i wanted some other opinions.
i'll give mine on another day, but until then, any thoughts?
how does one keep it alive?
stay faithfull?
keep the fire?
stay in love?
be best friends?
keep the desire?

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2008, 05:40:44 am »
Hi....my husband and I celebrated our 39th wedding anniversary a couple of days ago.

I dont consider myself an expert on relationships but here are a few things that I feel have contributed to my long marriage.

Compatability.....having plenty of interests in common with each other...we have always followed the same sports and watched them together, we have always enjoyed doing things together and would think of going to sport events, or social events with each other before we would even think of going with anyone else. Even in a group, we still kept our partnership and each others needs a priority.

Sense of humour....laugh a lot and laugh together.....realize when something is said as a joke and dont take it seriously and get upset with it.

Communication......talk things out honestly....be prepared to hear things you might not like hearing about yourself and sort out problems without yelling and arguing.....but have an opinion and make sure it is discussed.

Trust and understanding....dont be jealous of your partners friends whether they are of the same sex or the opposite sex.....they do need other people to communicate with, socialize with and enjoy spending time with. It doesnt mean they like or love them more than they love you, they should be allowed to feel comfortable with other people and  not think that you dont trust them.

Accept things that you yourself might think is odd, or a little over the top....even though we are partners, doesnt mean that we cant accept some differences...I think I have my BBM obsession in mind here. I know my husband wonders what the bloody hell got me so involved in a movie, but he understands, and doesnt make fun of it, and he knows that I would not tolerate him making fun of it.

Romance....of course.....and that goes thru different stages as the relationship develops......I think the important thing is to make your partner feel attractive and sexy...I often say, "my husband still looks at me like I am still the 17 yr old that he married"....he make me feel special and he lets me know I make him feel special.

Well, I guess thats whats made it work for us.....of course over a period of 39 years, we have had a few rough spots, but we worked out way through them, we have raised two boys and had plenty of problems with them, but we seemed to get stronger with adversity rather than let it weaken us. Familly is the most important thing to both of us and we always stand by each other, and stand up for each other.

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline forsythia12

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2008, 11:59:46 am »
 thanks katie.  that was really inspiring and i appreciate your comments.
 :)