Author Topic: POLL: Where to donate money collected in Heath's memory  (Read 17750 times)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
POLL: Where to donate money collected in Heath's memory
« on: February 10, 2008, 07:23:08 pm »
We've had loads of suggestions regarding where to donate the funds we've collected in memory of Heath Ledger.

On Tuesday, February 19, I will revise the poll and we can make a decision based on the three favorite options.

Leslie (MaineWriter) has described the first three options in this thread:  http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,16741.0.html.

Kerry works in Sydney with an Aboriginal health facility and can help us choose a group in Western Australia to receive a contribution, should we choose that option.

Kelda's post here describes children's arts organizations in Brooklyn and New York City.

Edited to add:  I have changed the "Gay youth organization in Wyoming" option to the Matthew Shepard Foundation at Verona's suggestion.

I have inserted the David Wirrpanda Foundation as the "Aboriginal children's charity" at Fran's suggestion, since she found that Heath supported it.

To would-be contributors:  Go here for instructions on how to donate.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 03:21:17 am by Meryl »
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
Re: POLL: Where to donate money collected in Heath's memory
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 07:40:31 pm »
Eeep! I want to donate to nearly all of these!  ::) I'll sleep on it to narrow it down to 3.  :)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 08:16:59 pm »
This is such a great idea Meryl.

I voted for Variety because I like the idea that this is the same charity for which the Brokeback shirts were auctioned.

I think the first three particularly make sense since Heath seems to have officially endorsed them.

But, that said, I would certainly be comfortable with the money going to any of these charities. 

« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 12:39:48 am by atz75 »
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline ptannen

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 10:08:17 pm »
Thanks Meryl and Leslie!

I voted for the 3 charities supported by Heath, as listed in htat site Leslie found:
    * ALAFA
    * LIFEbeat
    * Variety - The Children's Charity

IMHO, I think it is most appropriate to donate the money to one of the charities supported by Heath.

Pete
Is there anything interesting up there in heaven?

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 03:40:47 am »
Thanks Meryl and Leslie!

I voted for the 3 charities supported by Heath, as listed in htat site Leslie found:
    * ALAFA
    * LIFEbeat
    * Variety - The Children's Charity

IMHO, I think it is most appropriate to donate the money to one of the charities supported by Heath.

Pete

I just see I'll post the same as Amanda, Pete and Kerry, but here goes:

I voted for ALAFA, LIFEbeat and Variety for the exact same reason others have already stated (see blue part in quote above). I think it would be the most appropriate.

Re a fund for flowers: Hm, to be honest, this is my least favorite option, because it's not a charitable cause, albeit an honorable one. As a compromise, I personally would say let's use an amount of the already collected money for Heath' birthday this year, as alreay suggested in the other thread. It's soon, and we'd spare organizers the double efforts. But let's raise money for the purpose of flowers anew for every year we want to do it. Just my 2 cents.

That said, I agree that every option is a worthy cause and I will agree to anything the mayority decides.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 03:58:02 am »
I think the funds for the yearly flowers should be collected each year, not saved.

I voted for the children's hospital in Perth, but will be happy to go along with any of the other actual charities (as opposed to flowers for the grave).  I know I've heard that there is a way to look up what percentage of a donation actually goes to the goal of the charity, as opposed to marketing, etc.  Does anyone know what those statistics are on any of these charities?

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 03:58:25 am »
Oh!  And THANK YOU Meryl, for organizing this.  :-*

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 04:25:17 am »
I also voted for ALAFA, LIFEbeat, and Variety - The Children's Charity.  I was hoping Heath's family would name a charity, but I guess that's not going to happen.  In the event they do, that would be my No. 1 choice. 

I have to agree with Chrissi about the flowers.  My mom always tells me, "Send me flowers while I'm alive; don't wait till I'm dead," so that may be coloring my decision here.  While annual flowers are a very lovely gesture and certainly a very sentimental one, I think the money collected should be used for something more substantial than flowers.  I would like the money to do some good in the world and honor Heath that way.  I would, however, be agreeable to the compromise suggested by Chrissi about flowers on Heath's birthday this year.

After we have narrowed down the charities, I would like the money to go to just one cause, not two, or even three, so it can make more of an impact. 

I agree with Elle that it would be helpful to know just how much of each dollar donated is spent on the administrative end for each charity.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 05:04:00 am »
I didn't specify, but I really like the idea of flowers for his birthday this year.

Offline j.U.d.E.

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 07:49:48 am »
Although I really really like the idea of an ongoing flower fund for Heath's resting place, I concur with what some of you have said about it. I have voted for: ALAFA, LIFEbeat, Variety - The Children's Charity.

j.U.d.E.

MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -