Author Topic: POLL: Where to donate money collected in Heath's memory  (Read 17809 times)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
POLL: Where to donate money collected in Heath's memory
« on: February 10, 2008, 07:23:08 pm »
We've had loads of suggestions regarding where to donate the funds we've collected in memory of Heath Ledger.

On Tuesday, February 19, I will revise the poll and we can make a decision based on the three favorite options.

Leslie (MaineWriter) has described the first three options in this thread:  http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,16741.0.html.

Kerry works in Sydney with an Aboriginal health facility and can help us choose a group in Western Australia to receive a contribution, should we choose that option.

Kelda's post here describes children's arts organizations in Brooklyn and New York City.

Edited to add:  I have changed the "Gay youth organization in Wyoming" option to the Matthew Shepard Foundation at Verona's suggestion.

I have inserted the David Wirrpanda Foundation as the "Aboriginal children's charity" at Fran's suggestion, since she found that Heath supported it.

To would-be contributors:  Go here for instructions on how to donate.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 03:21:17 am by Meryl »
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
Re: POLL: Where to donate money collected in Heath's memory
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 07:40:31 pm »
Eeep! I want to donate to nearly all of these!  ::) I'll sleep on it to narrow it down to 3.  :)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 08:16:59 pm »
This is such a great idea Meryl.

I voted for Variety because I like the idea that this is the same charity for which the Brokeback shirts were auctioned.

I think the first three particularly make sense since Heath seems to have officially endorsed them.

But, that said, I would certainly be comfortable with the money going to any of these charities. 

« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 12:39:48 am by atz75 »
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline ptannen

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 10:08:17 pm »
Thanks Meryl and Leslie!

I voted for the 3 charities supported by Heath, as listed in htat site Leslie found:
    * ALAFA
    * LIFEbeat
    * Variety - The Children's Charity

IMHO, I think it is most appropriate to donate the money to one of the charities supported by Heath.

Pete
Is there anything interesting up there in heaven?

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 03:40:47 am »
Thanks Meryl and Leslie!

I voted for the 3 charities supported by Heath, as listed in htat site Leslie found:
    * ALAFA
    * LIFEbeat
    * Variety - The Children's Charity

IMHO, I think it is most appropriate to donate the money to one of the charities supported by Heath.

Pete

I just see I'll post the same as Amanda, Pete and Kerry, but here goes:

I voted for ALAFA, LIFEbeat and Variety for the exact same reason others have already stated (see blue part in quote above). I think it would be the most appropriate.

Re a fund for flowers: Hm, to be honest, this is my least favorite option, because it's not a charitable cause, albeit an honorable one. As a compromise, I personally would say let's use an amount of the already collected money for Heath' birthday this year, as alreay suggested in the other thread. It's soon, and we'd spare organizers the double efforts. But let's raise money for the purpose of flowers anew for every year we want to do it. Just my 2 cents.

That said, I agree that every option is a worthy cause and I will agree to anything the mayority decides.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 03:58:02 am »
I think the funds for the yearly flowers should be collected each year, not saved.

I voted for the children's hospital in Perth, but will be happy to go along with any of the other actual charities (as opposed to flowers for the grave).  I know I've heard that there is a way to look up what percentage of a donation actually goes to the goal of the charity, as opposed to marketing, etc.  Does anyone know what those statistics are on any of these charities?

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 03:58:25 am »
Oh!  And THANK YOU Meryl, for organizing this.  :-*

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 04:25:17 am »
I also voted for ALAFA, LIFEbeat, and Variety - The Children's Charity.  I was hoping Heath's family would name a charity, but I guess that's not going to happen.  In the event they do, that would be my No. 1 choice. 

I have to agree with Chrissi about the flowers.  My mom always tells me, "Send me flowers while I'm alive; don't wait till I'm dead," so that may be coloring my decision here.  While annual flowers are a very lovely gesture and certainly a very sentimental one, I think the money collected should be used for something more substantial than flowers.  I would like the money to do some good in the world and honor Heath that way.  I would, however, be agreeable to the compromise suggested by Chrissi about flowers on Heath's birthday this year.

After we have narrowed down the charities, I would like the money to go to just one cause, not two, or even three, so it can make more of an impact. 

I agree with Elle that it would be helpful to know just how much of each dollar donated is spent on the administrative end for each charity.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 05:04:00 am »
I didn't specify, but I really like the idea of flowers for his birthday this year.

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 07:49:48 am »
Although I really really like the idea of an ongoing flower fund for Heath's resting place, I concur with what some of you have said about it. I have voted for: ALAFA, LIFEbeat, Variety - The Children's Charity.

j.U.d.E.

MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2008, 09:24:51 am »
I voted for the following with my reasons specified:

LIfebeat:  I voted for this one because of Heath's ongoing dedication and support of the AIDS community.

Variety - The Children's Charity:  I voted for this one because of Heath's strong dedication and support of the welfare of children.

Ongoing flower fund for Heath's resting place:  I feel that it is important for us to always remember this remarkable man who brought Ennis alive for us and to never forget that Heath is a big reason why we as BetterMost exist as  well as why the friendships we have created exist.

Jack

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2008, 09:43:30 am »
Here's a report on Variety, the Children's Charity.

http://charityreports.bbb.org/public/Report.aspx?CharityID=3629

I thought this was an interesting little tidbit:

Chair of the Board: Jack Foley
Chair's Profession / Business Affiliation: President of Distribution, Focus Features
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2008, 09:47:24 am »
LIFEbeat has its financial statements posted at its website (you need acrobat to look at them):

http://www.lifebeat.org/who_we_are/financial.htm
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2008, 10:07:37 am »
OK, did my voting. One of the votes is for "Two of the above" as I think we should split the donation into the two most voted-for items, - but not divide it further than that.

Though I find it comforting, right and appropriate and am very glad that we plan to place flowers on Heath's graveside on his birthday this year, I must admit that the fund for future birthday flowers doesn't appeal to me very much. And though I respect being in the minority here, as I apparently am when looking at the votes so far, I must say that I think it honours Heath far more to donate to something that brightens the life of children today, children in need of a helping hand or encouragement, whether for health purposes or for creative ones.

There is nothing whatsoever stopping  us from contributing money to flowers one year down the line, two years down the line..... and still using the money now at hand in memory of Heath for a purpose of making others smile today.

Just IMO.

Offline Berit

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2008, 10:41:40 am »
I voted for the first three alternatives. I'll be happy to send money for flowers on Heath birthday for many years to come.
Ennis.....always Ennis.....

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2008, 10:55:35 am »
I voted for the first three too.

Thank you Meryl for organising this.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2008, 11:09:09 am »
I voted for the first three alternatives. I'll be happy to send money for flowers on Heath birthday for many years to come.
That's exactly what I was planning to do too.

j.U.d.E.

Offline Verona

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • "Ain't never enough time... never enough."
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2008, 12:35:41 pm »
I think it would be fitting to send something, however small, to The Matthew Shepard Foundation. This was a boy who paid the ultimate price for being gay in Wyoming, a sad reminder that things haven't changed as much as we'd like.  There's still work to do and resources needed to Erase Hate.

http://www.matthewshepard.org

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2008, 12:50:38 pm »
I think it would be fitting to send something, however small, to The Matthew Shepard Foundation. This was a boy who paid the ultimate price for being gay in Wyoming, a sad reminder that things haven't changed as much as we'd like.  There's still work to do and resources needed to Erase Hate.

Good idea, Verona.  I've added it to the options on the poll.  If anyone wants to change their vote, it's still possible to do so.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Verona

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2008, 01:08:10 pm »
Good idea, Verona.  I've added it to the options on the poll.  If anyone wants to change their vote, it's still possible to do so.  8)
Meryl, I figured that could just be the specific recipient of the "gay youth organization in Wyoming" option... like replace it... what do you think? 

???

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2008, 01:13:14 pm »
Meryl, I figured that could just be the specific recipient of the "gay youth organization in Wyoming" option... like replace it... what do you think? 

???

That makes perfect sense to me!  Will change the poll.   8)

For those who voted for the "gay youth organization" option, please note the change in case it affects your vote.  :)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Verona

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2008, 04:11:26 pm »
And keep in mind that Fred Phelps and Co. pretty much made their name by showing up at Matthew's funeral with their filth and hate, like they threatened to do at Heath's. I think the karma value would be priceless, on top of the obvious appropriateness of the cause. Heath would appreciate the irony, I'd venture to say.

Offline mouk

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2008, 04:58:16 pm »

If Heath supported ALAFA then this is my choice, I have just voted. He seemed to be developing an interest in Africa as apparently he was planning an anti poaching campaign later this year over there. Women in Lesotho have a really hard life. It is a very poor country with a harsh climate and bad land erosion. They don't need AIDS on top of it all - who does? There is a great book  'Singing away the hunger' by Mpho 'M'atsepo Nthunya that gives some idea of what women's life is like in Lesotho, and how determined they are. Also, the project is supported by credible partners. But I could not find their financial stats ?

As the money we have is not a huge amount, it seems wise to give it all to one, at the most 2 organisations, as has already been mentioned.

Having said that, all the causes listed are worthwhile and I will go along with whatever is decided.

As per the flowers, giving each year seems more meaningful as this means remembering Heath actively, rather than lean on a gesture we made 1, 2, 5 years ago. IMO

Again, thanks Meryl and Friends for making this possible.

Offline Berit

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2008, 05:08:20 pm »
Thank you Mouk for your posting. I agree with you full heartedly.

Berit

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2008, 05:40:34 pm »
If Heath supported ALAFA then this is my choice, I have just voted. He seemed to be developing an interest in Africa as apparently he was planning an anti poaching campaign later this year over there. Women in Lesotho have a really hard life. It is a very poor country with a harsh climate and bad land erosion. They don't need AIDS on top of it all - who does? There is a great book  'Singing away the hunger' by Mpho 'M'atsepo Nthunya that gives some idea of what women's life is like in Lesotho, and how determined they are. Also, the project is supported by credible partners. But I could not find their financial stats ?

I did a search and wasn't able to find anything. It is a new organization (est. 2006) so maybe they don't have any reports that have been made public. It is also based in Lesotho, so maybe their reporting requirements are different than what is required here in the US.

http://www.alafa.info/Pages/AboutUs.asp

L

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2008, 05:43:10 pm »
Well I voted for things that were local to Heath and Ennis -  Perth, Brooklyn and Wyoming.

Acting programs for kids in Brooklyn
Matthew Shepard Foundation    
Princess Margaret Hospital for Children in Perth

Also, the Matthew Shepard & Perth Hospital hit the aids link; and the Hosiptal and arts organisations hits the kids link

which are two causes that Heath supported.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • There But For Fortune
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2008, 05:47:06 pm »
I also voted for ALAFA, LIFEbeat, and Variety - The Children's Charity.  I would rather see the money go to one of the charities that Heath supported than an ongoing flower fund, although I would be agreeable to flowers for Heath's birthday this year.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2008, 08:22:36 pm »

Your post has really hit a nerve with me, Verona. So much so, that I've changed my previous vote. I'm now voting as follows:

* Matthew Shepard Foundation

* Ongoing Flower Fund

* Two of the above
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Fran

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2008, 10:58:08 pm »
Mikaela originally suggested an Aboriginal charity.  Well, according to the following article in The Age by Martin Flanagan (http://www.theage.com.au/news/opinion/ledger-another-great-who-died-too-young/2008/01/24/1201157560500.html)  Heath supported the David Wirrpanda Foundation.  (A check of the foundation's website lists Heath as one of its three ambassadors.)  David Wirrpanda was present at the memorial service in Perth.  He's an Australian football star.

Ledger another great who died too young

Martin Flanagan
January 25, 2008
WHEN I recently interviewed the American journalist Lewis Lapham, he asked me a question — why is it that the good American actors nowadays are Australian?

I guessed that maybe it was because we were less sophisticated. Like frontier types, we were closer to our primary feelings and emotions. Around the same time, I interviewed the West Coast Eagles footballer David Wirrpanda, an emerging leader in the Aboriginal community. Heath Ledger, who grew up in Perth, was an Eagles' fan, and an ambassador for the David Wirrpanda Foundation, which seeks to assist indigenous kids.

Wirrpanda, who is friends with the Ledger family, yesterday described the actor as "an easygoing, loveable character".

Wirrpanda said that what particularly interested him about Heath Ledger was his spirituality, the fact that he maintained such private aims for his public achievements.

Wirrpanda's view is consistent with the testimony of those who knew Ledger and have spoken since his death.

Here's some information about the foundation from its website:

The David Wirrpanda foundation exists to IMPROVE THE LIFE OUTCOMES OF INDIGENOUS CHILDREN by Promoting strong role models and healthy life choices. 2005 saw the launch of the David Wirrpanda Foundation through the support of Woodside Energy Ltd as founding sponsor.

The focus is to:

-- Increase the retention of indigenous students in school, and
-- Improve their life choices after leaving school by encouraging further study or entry into the workforce.

Since commencing operations in 2005, the Foundation has established successful programs in Perth and the Shire of Roebourne School attendance and behaviour has improved.

Mentoring by West Coast Eagles footballer David Wirrpanda, Troy Cook, Bianca Franklin and other indigenous role models are an important part of the Foundation’s work.

The foundation has established strong links with the communities in which it operates as well as obtaining funding from sponsors and government sources.

Major sponsors of the Foundation include founding sponsor Woodside Energy, Rio Tinto, Pilbara Development Commission, the West Coast Eagles Supporter’s Club, Lotterywest and Commonwealth Grants.

The Foundation now plans to build on these successes by expanding its operations in Perth and the Pilbara.

Perhaps this should be the Aboriginal charity in our poll since we know Heath definitely supported it.

If it is, then I would be replacing my Variety - The Children's Charity vote with this one since plenty of Hollywood stars support Variety and the David Wirrpanda Foundation does do work in Perth, Heath's hometown.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2008, 11:30:39 pm »
Mikaela originally suggested an Aboriginal charity.  Well, according to the following article by Martin Flanagan, Heath supported the David Wirrpanda Foundation.  (A check of the foundation's website lists Heath as one of its three ambassadors.)  David Wirrpanda was present at the memorial service in Perth.  He's an Australian football star.

Perhaps this should be the Aboriginal charity in our poll since we know Heath definitely supported it.

If it is, then I would be replacing my Variety - The Children's Charity vote with this one since plenty of Hollywood stars support Variety and the David Wirrpanda Foundation does do work in Perth, Heath's hometown.

That's a real find, Fran.  Since we know Heath was a supporter of the charity, I'm listing it now as the aboriginal children's charity on our poll.

People who voted for the aboriginal children's charity option, please take note.  :)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Fran

« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2008, 12:03:27 am »
Thanks, Meryl, for editiing the poll.

I've changed my vote to:

ALAFA
LIFEbeat
David Wirrpanda Foundation

I do like the fact that DWF has an office in Perth, where Heath's family is. 

Offline roryennis

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2008, 12:11:51 am »
Howdy Friends,
Here are my three votes:
ALAFA
David Wirrpanda Foundation
Ongoing Flower Fund
Jack Twist.
Ennis
Your folks just stopped at Ennis?
Del Mar
Nice to know ya Ennis Del Mar.

And so with that introduction Jack and Ennis are forever bound together like Adam & Eve and Romeo & Juliet.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2008, 03:18:28 am »
I've been thinking about the flower tribute.

:-\  :-\

After having seen the intens and very private send off by Heath's family and friends at the beach and taking into account all the efforts his family went through to keep all the events of Saturday secret as much as possible, I'm wondering whether sending flowers in the future to his grave is a good idea...

I had the strong feeling that his family was making some sort of statement with the (classy) way they organised everything on Saturday. That Perth was 'their' Heath, their son, brother, friend. I thought it was good that we sent (or wanted to send) flowers on the day of the funeral, but in the future, I feel like his grave/final resting place/the ocean/the beach is his/their place.

I had the same feeling when I saw that clip from the BAFTA'S with Ennis saying 'why don't you just let me be?'. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm immensely grateful that his family let us have pictures of the ocean dip, which was hugely comforting and I wouldn't want to do anything that they might perceive as intrusive (too strong a word, but I can't think of another one right now).

I really don't mean to cause offence to anyone by saying this. If this post is not appropriate, let me know and I'll delete it.

I just had to get this off my chest.

yb

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2008, 03:39:04 am »
I've voted for the Variety Children's Charity because Heath obviously loved children very much.

As for the flower tribute, I agree with the suggestion to send it on Heath's birthday this year.  As for setting aside a fund for future tributes, I would prefer it to be collected on a year-to-year basis.  I don't know if this has been discussed or not, do we know if Heath's final resting place is a public cemetery or a private one?  If it's a private one, we may have problem sending flowers to it.

belbbmfan, I understand what you're saying about sending flowers in the future and it's not offensive at all.  But I would think Heath's family would understand that it is our way of showing appreciation and love for Heath, our doing it on Heath's anniversaries will only demonstrate to them that we have not forgotten Heath. 

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2008, 10:33:40 am »
I understand what you are saying belbbmfan about the flowers although I don't really see this as something that would be considered as intrusive or offensive to his family. From what I could tell from what his father said he was very grateful to all those around the globe who offered tributes and supports. Like yb I think Heath's family would understand it is our way of showing appreciation and love for Heath. However, please do not think I am saying what you suggested as being offensive. I am just adding my thoughts. I think maybe that if this idea does not come from these funds those of us who see the flower idea as a good thing could get together and arrange this since it doesn't have to be a whole group thing. Personally, I do want to be a part of this ongoing tribute and I feel several others do as well.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2008, 12:15:34 pm »
Meryl,
Just out of curiosity... at what point will voting on this close?  I mean, how soon are we planning on moving forward with a donation (or two or three)?

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2008, 12:55:14 pm »
Meryl,
Just out of curiosity... at what point will voting on this close?  I mean, how soon are we planning on moving forward with a donation (or two or three)?

If everyone who's voted so far has chosen three options, then around 30 have responded to the poll, leaving at least 14 more that can still respond (44 have contributed).  I'll leave it up til next Tuesday, the one-month anniversary of Heath's passing.  Maybe more folks will want to contribute, too.  After that, I'll narrow it down and put up another poll.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Verona

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2008, 01:03:35 pm »
If we have a thousand dollars, can we donate, say, $250 each to four organizations? Might be a nice way to really spread the love around as much as possible.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2008, 05:00:04 pm »
I'll leave it up til next Tuesday, the one-month anniversary of Heath's passing. 

:(
Time flies, it's already three weeks today.  :'(

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2008, 06:10:31 pm »
I understand what you are saying belbbmfan about the flowers although I don't really see this as something that would be considered as intrusive or offensive to his family. From what I could tell from what his father said he was very grateful to all those around the globe who offered tributes and supports. Like yb I think Heath's family would understand it is our way of showing appreciation and love for Heath. However, please do not think I am saying what you suggested as being offensive. I am just adding my thoughts. I think maybe that if this idea does not come from these funds those of us who see the flower idea as a good thing could get together and arrange this since it doesn't have to be a whole group thing. Personally, I do want to be a part of this ongoing tribute and I feel several others do as well.

I would also like to be involved.

Logistics could prove difficult, considering Heath's ashes may have been scattered, but I'm up for the challenge.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline ptannen

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2008, 03:34:49 am »
If we have a thousand dollars, can we donate, say, $250 each to four organizations? Might be a nice way to really spread the love around as much as possible.

While this is a good point, I vote for all the money to one charity, as it would be more meaningful and more noticed.  $250 is not a lot of money. . .  just my 2 cents.
Is there anything interesting up there in heaven?

Offline Fran

« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2008, 10:28:03 am »
While this is a good point, I vote for all the money to one charity, as it would be more meaningful and more noticed.  $250 is not a lot of money. . .  just my 2 cents.

I'm going to agree with Pete here.  Donating to just one charity would be my preference, too.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2008, 02:35:52 pm »
I also like the idea of donating a substantial amount of money to one charity rather than small amounts of money to several.  For the record, I only voted for one charity in the list provided here.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2008, 03:01:56 am »
I also agree with donating the money to one or at most two charities.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2008, 03:27:44 am »

I agree Pete.

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2008, 12:51:59 pm »

Offline BelAir

« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2008, 05:54:06 pm »
If everyone who's voted so far has chosen three options, then around 30 have responded to the poll, leaving at least 14 more that can still respond (44 have contributed).  I'll leave it up til next Tuesday, the one-month anniversary of Heath's passing.  Maybe more folks will want to contribute, too.  After that, I'll narrow it down and put up another poll.

this is sort of random, and perhaps irrelevant, but i would love to contribute more... however, I can't till after payday at the end of the month.  maybe once the charity/charities is/are decided upon leave some more time for additional donation?
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2008, 06:47:43 pm »
this is sort of random, and perhaps irrelevant, but i would love to contribute more... however, I can't till after payday at the end of the month.  maybe once the charity/charities is/are decided upon leave some more time for additional donation?

Sounds like a good idea, BelAir.  We don't have to be in a big hurry.  :)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2008, 08:57:05 pm »
I also think Pete has a good idea since the money going to one place will have much more of an impact.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2008, 12:23:51 am »
Synthesizing as best I can what I've heard everyone say, I'd like to suggest that we remove all the choices that have fewer than 10 votes, and then vote again, this time each of us only getting one or two votes each, with an understanding that we give all the money to the charity that gets the most votes, unless there are two that are so close that we split the money between the two of them.

I also suggest that an ongoing flower fund be considered separately, because it's a different kettle of fish.  This is a one-shot thing we got here.  Anything ongoing would require continued coordination.

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2008, 12:55:19 am »
I think that is a great idea. And I am glad you are keeping the ongoing flower fund in as something separate cause I do like that idea.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2008, 02:26:48 pm »
The new poll is up!  Go ye and vote.  ;D

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,17551.0.html
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Berit

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2008, 08:15:14 am »
It's not far to April 4. How are we going to do with flowers for Heaths birthday? Or maybe some other "celebration"?

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2008, 11:45:20 am »
I'll be arranging to send flowers next week through Interflora.  I'm thinking roses, since Matilda's middle name is Rose.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Berit

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2008, 11:47:48 am »
How nice, Meryl!

Do you need more money?

Berit

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2008, 12:34:29 pm »
Thanks, Berit, but we've got a good stash of cash.  I do wish the Wirrpanda Foundation would answer Phillip so we can get the donation in Heath's memory taken care of.  It would be nice to do it around the time of his birthday.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2008, 01:16:58 pm »
Heya!

Thanks Meryl!  I think the idea of roses sounds very appropriate and nice.

Is there a plan B if the Wirrpanda people don't reply?

Offline Berit

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2008, 01:42:01 pm »
It sounds like I have a goldmine of my own when I ask you if you need money. I can safely say that that isn't the case..... :laugh:...but I have my priorities..... ;)

It would be great to get the donation done in time for his birthday though.

Thanks Meryl for your fantastic work!!

Berit