Author Topic: POLL: Where to donate money collected in Heath's memory  (Read 17728 times)

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: POLL: Where to donate money collected in Heath's memory
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2008, 09:24:51 am »
I voted for the following with my reasons specified:

LIfebeat:  I voted for this one because of Heath's ongoing dedication and support of the AIDS community.

Variety - The Children's Charity:  I voted for this one because of Heath's strong dedication and support of the welfare of children.

Ongoing flower fund for Heath's resting place:  I feel that it is important for us to always remember this remarkable man who brought Ennis alive for us and to never forget that Heath is a big reason why we as BetterMost exist as  well as why the friendships we have created exist.

Jack

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2008, 09:43:30 am »
Here's a report on Variety, the Children's Charity.

http://charityreports.bbb.org/public/Report.aspx?CharityID=3629

I thought this was an interesting little tidbit:

Chair of the Board: Jack Foley
Chair's Profession / Business Affiliation: President of Distribution, Focus Features
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2008, 09:47:24 am »
LIFEbeat has its financial statements posted at its website (you need acrobat to look at them):

http://www.lifebeat.org/who_we_are/financial.htm
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2008, 10:07:37 am »
OK, did my voting. One of the votes is for "Two of the above" as I think we should split the donation into the two most voted-for items, - but not divide it further than that.

Though I find it comforting, right and appropriate and am very glad that we plan to place flowers on Heath's graveside on his birthday this year, I must admit that the fund for future birthday flowers doesn't appeal to me very much. And though I respect being in the minority here, as I apparently am when looking at the votes so far, I must say that I think it honours Heath far more to donate to something that brightens the life of children today, children in need of a helping hand or encouragement, whether for health purposes or for creative ones.

There is nothing whatsoever stopping  us from contributing money to flowers one year down the line, two years down the line..... and still using the money now at hand in memory of Heath for a purpose of making others smile today.

Just IMO.

Offline Berit

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2008, 10:41:40 am »
I voted for the first three alternatives. I'll be happy to send money for flowers on Heath birthday for many years to come.
Ennis.....always Ennis.....

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2008, 10:55:35 am »
I voted for the first three too.

Thank you Meryl for organising this.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2008, 11:09:09 am »
I voted for the first three alternatives. I'll be happy to send money for flowers on Heath birthday for many years to come.
That's exactly what I was planning to do too.

j.U.d.E.
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline Verona

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • "Ain't never enough time... never enough."
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2008, 12:35:41 pm »
I think it would be fitting to send something, however small, to The Matthew Shepard Foundation. This was a boy who paid the ultimate price for being gay in Wyoming, a sad reminder that things haven't changed as much as we'd like.  There's still work to do and resources needed to Erase Hate.

http://www.matthewshepard.org

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2008, 12:50:38 pm »
I think it would be fitting to send something, however small, to The Matthew Shepard Foundation. This was a boy who paid the ultimate price for being gay in Wyoming, a sad reminder that things haven't changed as much as we'd like.  There's still work to do and resources needed to Erase Hate.

http://www.matthewshepard.org

Good idea, Verona.  I've added it to the options on the poll.  If anyone wants to change their vote, it's still possible to do so.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Verona

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • "Ain't never enough time... never enough."
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2008, 01:08:10 pm »
Good idea, Verona.  I've added it to the options on the poll.  If anyone wants to change their vote, it's still possible to do so.  8)
Meryl, I figured that could just be the specific recipient of the "gay youth organization in Wyoming" option... like replace it... what do you think? 

???