Author Topic: A proper Special Features Tribute DVD in memory of Heath?  (Read 8753 times)

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
A proper Special Features Tribute DVD in memory of Heath?
« on: February 11, 2008, 03:20:33 pm »
Not surprisingly, I have noticed that the serious and in-depth "in memoriam" articles and obituaries for Heath focus on his role as Ennis. Brokeback is mentioned over and again as the high point of his acting career, as indeed it should IMO. Ang Lee in his comment after Heath's passing among other things said Ennis was a "miracle".

In light of this, I was thinking that Focus Features/the copyright holders might possibly consider it a fitting tribute to finally see to it that a proper special edition Brokeback DVD with commentary tracks and deleted scenes and more in-depth documentarty type behind-the scenes coverage was made. That this might be done in order to pay tribute to Heath and to fully honour his "miracle of acting", Ennis del Mar. The film in itself deserves it, and so most certainly does Heath.

I'm certain Ang Lee, Jake and others would want to contribute to such an edition in Heath's honour.

What do you all think? Do you think this might be a possibility? Or would they be afraid of being accused of "cashing in" on a tragedy?

moremojo

Re: A proper Special Features Tribute DVD in memory of Heath?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 03:27:22 pm »
I get the strong sense that Ang doesn't want to follow the commentary-over-scenes route, nor the deleted-scenes one for any DVD version of this particular film. I don't know this, it's just a sense that I have. I think he wants each viewer to come to their own interpretation of the film and its story, without undue influence by any element that exists outside what the film itself presents...much as Annie has stated that each reader must finish the original story in her or his own life.

So I don't think it's likely we'll see such a release, at least as long as Ang tries to maintain creative control over the film's extended life through the DVD medium. This is not to say that I wouldn't be curious to see deleted scenes, or learn more detail behind the film's conception and production.

Offline Verona

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • "Ain't never enough time... never enough."
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 04:07:16 pm »
The alternate shirt discovery scene in its entirety would be nice to have . Although I'd probably fall to pieces the first time and never watch it again.

Offline Berit

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 05:15:22 pm »
I really don't think that there will be a BBM like you hope for Mikaela. I think Ang Lee and all of the others made BBM as they wanted it and thats that. And ,maybe it is for the best. It is a beautiful and preaches(SP?) story, not to be tampered with IMO.

I enjoyed - and still enjoy occasionally - A Knights Tale with Brian Helgeland and Paul Bettany talking.....But that is a whole other story  :)

Berit
Ennis.....always Ennis.....

Offline Mikaela

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 05:44:24 pm »
Hmm.... I was trying to check  what others thought about the possibility, rather than trying to make a case for the DVD needing to be made. But seems I managed to make the case, despite myslef..  ;)

Berit, I'm not hoping for an "extended version" with deleted scenes re-inserted into the film. By no means, never, never. That would be tantamount to sacrilege IMO.  :o

But I would like to *see* the deleted scenes, - those late ones where J&E embrace, the whole hippie encounter, etc etc. - and I admit as much.

I also very much would like to hear Ang Lee, Jake and others reminiscing on the making on the film, their thoughts and memories of the process etc. I thought such a commentary might also be an opportunity for them to pay respectful and honest tribute to Heath - telling a bit more about how he/they worked to bring the characters to life, and so forth.

BTW, I also very much enjoy the "Knight's Tale" commentary - it's fun and enjoyable, but have you noticed how little the two of them (Helgeland and Bettany) say about Heath? I don't think there's anyone gets so little mention as Heath in that commentary. That's not the kind of Brokeback commentary I'd like, certainly...

From Moremojo
So I don't think it's likely we'll see such a release, at least as long as Ang tries to maintain creative control over the film's extended life through the DVD medium.

A miracle has to be experienced, not explained and dissected? There is something to that, of course.

Neverhteless, Ang Lee has made commentary tracks to other films (Sense and Sensibility, for sure - possibly also Crouching Tiger?) so the very concept of doing so is not unthinkable for him.

Offline Berit

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 04:19:42 pm »
Mikaela

I didn't really think that you wanted to include the deleted scenes in the movie either, just wanted to see them. I doubt we will se them though,I think they are destroyed - in some ways I wish so, don't want them to turn up on the Internet.... :o

In the extras on The Knigths Tale Paul Bettany talks about Heath, something meaning that he is a young man with a wise head.....I don't have the film at my home right now, my co-worker has it......I'm trying to educate her in who Heath was.... ;)

Berit
Ennis.....always Ennis.....

Offline Mikaela

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 12:42:30 pm »
Re The Knight's Tale commentary: Yes, they do talk a little bit about Heath, they hardly could avoid that - but considering his is the lead role, he does get surprisingly few and far-between comments IMO. Paul Bettany's butt, and how fantastic the various sidekicks are, get much more time and focus from the commenting duo.

Of course, they're going for the comic approach to commenting, that may have been something to do with it. And I did listen to the commentary specifically and mainly to hear what they said about Heath, so it would have been never enough, never....  ::)

Oh my God, I hope those delted scenes haven't been destroyed - somehow I don't think they have. I'm still keeping my fingers firmly crossed I might get to see them some day, even if I apparently am the only one...  ???

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 01:31:15 pm »
Oh my God, I hope those delted scenes haven't been destroyed - somehow I don't think they have. I'm still keeping my fingers firmly crossed I might get to see them some day, even if I apparently am the only one...  ???

No, Mika, of course you're not the only one.  I just keep letting you speak for me on this.  Don't worry - I'm nodding and hoping along with you.  :)  I'll throw in some more "Me too"s in the future.  :)

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008, 01:56:17 pm »
I read in an interview that Heath said that he hoped the 'hippie' scene would never be shown, anywhere, he was embarrassed about it. And having read about it on findingbrokeback.com, I can understand why.

But a commentary by Ang Lee would be wonderful, it was great on Sense and Sensibility as well.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2008, 02:13:30 pm »
I would definitely like to see the deleted scenes (all those scenes hinted at in the trailer but not in the actual film, etc.).  I think they would be neat as a "bonus feature" as part of a DVD package... but they should certainly remain completely separated (and designated as separate) from the actual film.

The idea of a voice over commentary by Ang Lee would seem to have pros and cons.  It would be fascinating.  But, I would worry that that kind of thing could start to really influence and scew some viewers' interpretations. 

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie