Author Topic: A proper Special Features Tribute DVD in memory of Heath?  (Read 8761 times)

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
Re: A proper Special Features Tribute DVD in memory of Heath?
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2008, 02:18:00 pm »
Everybody, there's an online petition requesting this.

http://www.petitiononline.com/je1963/petition.html

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2008, 02:51:17 pm »

Offline Berit

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2008, 03:27:45 pm »
Mikaela
I didn't mean in the commentary's with Brian H and Paul B but in the special features (I think it's called that, I don't have the film at home so I can't check!) there is like a "chapter" about him.....the talk about how mature he is and so on....kinda nice.

I got the feeling that Brian H and Paul B were old friends, they sound like they know each other well.

One thing that would be good with having deleted scenes on a DVD is that you could see them and I could choose not to.....all would be happy - well, almost all anyway.......

To me BBM is like a precious piece of art or a jewel.....I don't want it ruined in any way :(

Berit
Ennis.....always Ennis.....

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2008, 03:43:06 pm »
You know, the commentary wouldn't necessarily have to skew anyone's interpretation of the film.  Ang Lee and whoever could steer away from the big questions and just provide little details about the scenes -- problems with getting the sheep in the right places, uncooperative weather, little anecdotes about the actors, etc. -- all those precious little details that we would just eat up.

If Ang and whoever are ever going to do a commentary, I hope they don't wait too long.  The longer the delay, the more likely it is that those little details and anecdotes will be forgotten.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2008, 04:27:53 pm »
You know, the commentary wouldn't necessarily have to skew anyone's interpretation of the film.  Ang Lee and whoever could steer away from the big questions and just provide little details about the scenes -- problems with getting the sheep in the right places, uncooperative weather, little anecdotes about the actors, etc. -- all those precious little details that we would just eat up.

Now this would be neat  :).

Tell you what: meanwhile I'm on the fence about the deleted scenes and a commentary. At first, I wanted to see them as badly as the next Brokie. And I was just as disappointed about the meager "special edition" DVD last year.
But the longer time got, the more fatalistic I got about it. Additionally, I thought about what Ang Lee said, that he had said everything he has to say in the movie itself. I think he's right with that.

Nobody would ask Annie Proulx to say whether Jack has been murdered, or what Ennis meant with "Jack, I swear...". And just as Annie left some (many) things open, so did Ang. The movie is a piece of art on its own, and I don't know whether seeing deleted scenes (albeit apart from the movie) would have an influence on how we see the movie.

I think I wouldn't want Ang to interpret anything about the characters/plot, not only about the "biggies". But some little trivia/background info about filming it sure would be nice.

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2008, 05:59:30 pm »
One thing that would be good with having deleted scenes on a DVD is that you could see them and I could choose not to.....all would be happy - well, almost all anyway.......

To me BBM is like a precious piece of art or a jewel.....I don't want it ruined in any way :(

Berit

(((Berit)))

Oh no, by no means ruined - just another facet added to the jewel.  :) 

But of course, only for those who would be interested.

Am I correct in thinking you're Swedish? You have such a Scandinavian name.  :)

From Fran

This is the kind of commentary I am looking for. And hoping for.  :)

They made so much of the film plot and characters ambiguous, I would never think (or want) that they'd suddenly come out and say: OK, here's what this really means....

But there is so much else they could share with us.
I'd like to hear more from Jake on what he and Heath discussed before their scenes, how they prepared, what they focused on to nail their characters and their relationship. Anecdotes about what Heath would do.... like for instance, the images we've seen of him in reunion clothes get-up and sitting on the ground listening to his Ipod... all sorts of snippets like that. Anecdotes about things that happened during the shoot... memories of the filming, comments on why they choose to let certain things remain ambiguous and on film specific choices like angles, lighting.... And of course, a bit more what Ang Lee told them in advance of filming scenes, details they discussed, his comments on what he thinks specifically works and why....

OK, I'm rambling here but my point is there are heaps of things that could be included in a commentary that would add depth and background to the film and the filming while still fully leaving the interpretations to the viewers.

And if they chose to comment more than they otherwise would on heath, how he prepared, what they think about his scenes, etc - then that would be appropriate and could be a respectful tribute to him, if done right.

:)

Offline Berit

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2008, 05:33:42 am »
Yes Mikaela, I'm from Piteå in the very north of Sweden. Am I right to think that you have something to do with the beatiful country of Norway? :) I saw some link you had from a Norwegian paper....Nice!!

Have a nice day!

Berit
Ennis.....always Ennis.....

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2008, 06:45:39 am »
Hej!

Ja, jeg er norsk. Kul å kunne bruke sitt eget språk her en gang!

Ønsker deg også en fin dag og en riktig god helg.  :)

hilsen
Mika

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2008, 07:32:26 am »
I have heard at least a couple of commentaries that were made several years after the movie, and they actually can be cool in their perspective, because the commentators know what came since, in terms of subsequent films, the technology, how the film has been viewed, etc.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2008, 07:40:38 am »
Hej!

Ja, jeg er norsk. Kul å kunne bruke sitt eget språk her en gang!

Ønsker deg også en fin dag og en riktig god helg.  :)

hilsen
Mika

I spent two weeks in Norway, looking at Norwegian newspapers, reading Norwegian signs...and....it's still Norwegian to me!

Tak!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!