Author Topic: my ambitious school project and how you, my fellow brokies, can help  (Read 1915 times)

Offline TheStudDuck!

• Jr. Ranch Hand
Greetings Tremblayans,

Some of you may remember me, some of you may not, but I was one of the "original" (if you will) members over at the IMDb boards in the days of yore.  My major contribution being that I was the person who contacted Pierre Tremblay and organized the interview that is, no doubt, stickied above the very thread that you are reading.

What I come to you now with, is a favor to ask a few of you, many of you, or all of you... so long as you are willing.  You see, I'm a student at Ball State University -- one of the more elite students actually -- studying in both Sociology and Philosophy, each department of which I am an exceptional student.  I was actually one of fifteen students selected to our university's prestigious immersive learning program where we spend the entire semester outside of the traditional classroom, pursuing a more "hands-on" approach to our areas of expertise.  The seminar that I was accepted to was one that combined many disciplines, but most notably those of Sociology and Philosophy (a natural fit for me), where we have been researching a term that was coined, "cydentity," derived from "cyber identity," where we've studied "cyber communities, cyber selves, and constructed realities," as it is officially put.  So, naturally, a lot of my heart and soul is retained with the beautiful "brokie" community that I was once a part of.

I remember all of the great times... the months, the weeks, the days, the hours... spent talking about everything from our love of magnificent storytelling, which ultimately evolved to our love of each other.

With the permission of my instructor, I've actually deviated away from what the rest of the class is doing and have focused on my own interests, of which I am quite passionate about.  I've taken on more of a classic "participant observation" method, where I've immersed myself in the subculture of "the World of Warcraft," and am pursuing the topic of "lonliness with others."  That is to say, as a brokie, I remember that a lot of us came together as outsiders... people who shared a love of a film that many dared not see or recognize.  I, myself, have always been an outsider.  Case in point, I'm doing something different than my classmates.  It's just always been who I am.

I will ultimately be combining the results of my field research and express it by penning a feature-length screenplay, which I plan to modestly submit to various places in the "industry," as it were.  Ambitious?  Probably.  It's more about the experience of the process than anything -- writing, and film, being other passions of mine.

My favor, my friends and fellow brokies, is that I'd like to talk to some people about some personal issues.  I know in the past that many of us grew to know each other quite well.  I'm more than willing to share as much about myself as any of you would be willing to share about yourselves... and it doesn't have to be in public.  It can be here in the forums, the chat room, instant messenger, e-mail, phone, U.S. mail, in-person (distance permitting), whatever you're comfortable with.  It's a school project, but I'm somewhat ambitious and would like to tackle some issues that, in my eyes, haven't been aggressively tackled before.

Let me know your thoughts -- leave them here, if you wish (which would help keep the thread bumped) -- or e-mail me:  [email protected]

And, of course, I can't leave without using what has always been my favorite emoticon in the history of time that can only be found here...

:D Yeehaw!  :D

Always,
David (TheStudDuck!)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: my ambitious school project and how you, my fellow brokies, can help
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 01:10:49 pm »
Hay, David! Good to see you again. What's this "community I used to be a part of" shit?? You are and will always be a part of our community!!

Sure I love to talk about personal issues...but first, what about the other school projects we helped you with? We would like a report on how those turned out! Thanks, David!!

"chewing gum and duct tape"