Author Topic: Oysters, Sushi and Sashimi  (Read 18129 times)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Re: Oysters, Sushi and Sashimi
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2008, 01:10:12 am »
I am also a sushi and sashimi lover, Amanda.

Tuna, yellowtail, and salmon are my favorites. The only variety I have encountered that I do not like is mackerel - somehow the fish flavor there is too strong for me.  I like some wasabi in my soy sauce too.

Regarding shellfish, I love fried clams but I guess I don't appreciate oysters the way Paul does!   ;)

I always used the 'add condiments and swallow' approach, myself...didn't see the big deal.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 09:30:27 pm by Lynne »
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2008, 02:17:01 am »
I don't recall what mackerel sushi tastes like.  The only kind that I can't handle eating... even a little bit... is sea urchin.   :-X :P  The texture just creeps me out.  But, I've heard that sea urchin is considered are real delicacy by major sushi aficionados.  One kind of sushi that I love, love, love... besides tuna (my favorite)... is caviar (the kind with the big orange caviar) in a roll.  Awesome.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2008, 02:25:40 am »
I don't recall what mackerel sushi tastes like.  The only kind that I can't handle eating... even a little bit... is sea urchin.   :-X :P  The texture just creeps me out.  But, I've heard that sea urchin is considered are real delicacy by major sushi aficionados.  One kind of sushi that I love, love, love... besides tuna (my favorite)... is caviar (the kind with the big orange caviar) in a roll.  Awesome.

I've had canned mackerel before and it's terrible. It's really really terrible tasting. I can't imagine how awful it would taste raw! YUCK!!

So.... I do believe I'm going to do it. Kroger's has a sushi shop and I'm thinking about stopping there tomorrow and purchasing a few of them. What should I get? Any suggestions? :)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2008, 02:28:25 am »
David if you love raw oysters, you'll have NO problem with sushi!  In my experience it's much milder and less "slithery" than raw oysters.   ;D

What's always mystified me is how much to order.  You get a little check-off list for a la carte individual pieces, and I'm like, how many should one person get:  3?  20?  100?

I'm so glad you started this thread Amanda.  I'm still relatively new at sushi and a bit mystified . . .

But I love how it makes me feel.  A nice protein fix, but light and very healthy feeling!

What do you suggest I try Laura? Do you have any suggestions for me? :D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2008, 02:37:15 am »
Sorry, this is a bit OT from sushi:

But also, have any of you ever tried Fish Head Soup? It's extremely popular in the Orient, and I've noticed many Oriental restaurants here in Indianapolis adding it to their menus. It's very expensive, and apparently the meat inside the cheeks is very tender and sweet.

God, I can't even believe I'm asking ya'll about it, because I'm not a fan of fish at all. But since I may try sushi tomorrow, I guess I'm curious about fish head soup too.

yb

« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2008, 03:28:00 am »
I have to say it's a strange looking fish head soup, especially to see eggplant being used as one of the ingredients, perhaps it's used by some remote provinces.

But it's true that the meat inside the cheeks is very good.

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2008, 03:37:40 am »
What do you suggest I try Laura? Do you have any suggestions for me? :D

Hi sweetie,

You might start with vegetable roll for a warm-up!  Then, the 3 basics that a few have mentioned — salmon, tuna and yellowtail — are excellent for sushi-beginners.  They're mild, even faintly sweet.  The California roll is also popular & easy to eat but I don't quite remember the ingredients . . . like a vegetable roll with a little tuna or something . . . maybe someone more expert here can help on that?

I have a question:  what's good to move up to from there?  I've had the aforementioned foods but am curious about what else there is.  What else in the sushi universe is good for folks who are relatively new to it?

(don't know about the fish head soup . . . "ain't never ordered soup" as the Basque would say . . )

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2008, 03:40:55 am »
Hi sweetie,

You might start with vegetable roll for a warm-up!  Then, the 3 basics that a few have mentioned — salmon, tuna and yellowtail — are excellent for sushi-beginners.  They're mild, even faintly sweet.  The California roll is also popular & easy to eat but I don't quite remember the ingredients . . . like a vegetable roll with a little tuna or something . . . maybe someone more expert here can help on that?

Thanks Laura!! :D

I will try your suggestions. Probably tomorrow! :-*

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2008, 04:15:48 am »
I have to say it's a strange looking fish head soup, especially to see eggplant being used as one of the ingredients, perhaps it's used by some remote provinces.

But it's true that the meat inside the cheeks is very good.

It does look strange to you? I didn't know what was in the soup. This was the first picture I found of it.

It might be better if maybe they pulled the fish cheeks out first and then placed it in the soup and left the head out of it? I have problems looking at animals staring at me as I eat them. Ugh.

yb

« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2008, 06:59:16 am »
It does look strange to you? I didn't know what was in the soup. This was the first picture I found of it.

It might be better if maybe they pulled the fish cheeks out first and then placed it in the soup and left the head out of it? I have problems looking at animals staring at me as I eat them. Ugh.

I have no idea whether it is legitimate Chinese cuisine or not, but it may also be one of the dishes from the remote provinces.  It looks spicy, though, and I'm not fond of it.  From my limited knowledge of cooking, I don't think pulling out the cheeks first is an option, the head has to be cooked in one piece if it is soup.

Back on topic, yeah, I like sashimi and sushi.