Author Topic: No Country For Old Men - has anybody seen it?  (Read 5200 times)

mvansand76

No Country For Old Men - has anybody seen it?
« on: February 17, 2008, 03:07:10 pm »
If so, can we discuss it?

:)

SPOILERS---

I have very mixed feelings towards this film. The first two-thirds were absolutely brilliant. Then Moss was killed and I just completely lost what this movie was about. The ending had me baffled. I wonder why the Coen brothers decided on such an ending.  :-\

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: No Country For Old Men - has anybody seen it?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 06:42:58 pm »
I have not seen this movie yet. Is it out on DVD already?
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 07:03:48 pm »
One quote about it:

Synopsis:
With NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN, the Coen Brothers have found a perfect match in Pulitzer Prize-winning author Cormac McCarthy. Their adaptation of McCarthy's praised novel is a staggering masterpiece. In this almost impossibly faithful adaptation, the film takes place in a small Texas border... [More]
With NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN, the Coen Brothers have found a perfect match in Pulitzer Prize-winning author Cormac McCarthy. Their adaptation of McCarthy's praised novel is a staggering masterpiece. In this almost impossibly faithful adaptation, the film takes place in a small Texas border town in 1980. Sheriff Bell (a never-been-better Tommy Lee Jones) has ruled the land for years without the use of a gun, but a new brand of reckless lawlessness has taken over his town. Llewelyn Moss (Josh Brolin) is an innocent Everyman with a devoted wife, Carla Jean (Kelly Macdonald), but when he stumbles across a drug deal gone deadly and finds two million dollars, he's determined to keep it for himself. There's only one problem. He's being pursued by one of the most amoral, evil psychopaths that the big screen has ever seen. Wearing an absurd haircut and brandishing a pressurized weapon that's used to murder cattle, Anton Chigurh (Javier Bardem) creeps forward on his mission to track Moss down and return the money to its rightful owners to save his own skin. As the tension mounts, the body count begins to rise, confirming Sheriff Bell's inability to battle this new wave of modern brutality. The most striking thing about the Coen Brothers' thriller is their masterly use of silence to create an almost unbearable level of tension. Cinematographer Roger Deakins is once again at the top of his game, beautifully capturing this stark and lonely world. The well-rounded cast is clearly excited to be a part of such a stellar production--particularly Bardem, whose Chigurh is a freakishly mysterious monster, and is certain to haunt viewers long after the final credit has rolled. In a career filled with striking achievements, this might very well be the Coen Brothers' finest. It is filmmaking at its best

But that lawman is not able to help as he is overwhelmed? No law anyomore?
Is that to-day's society becoming like that?

Hugs!

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 08:44:26 pm »
SPOILERS

If so, can we discuss it?

:)

SPOILERS---
I have very mixed feelings towards this film. The first two-thirds were absolutely brilliant. Then Moss was killed and I just completely lost what this movie was about. The ending had me baffled. I wonder why the Coen brothers decided on such an ending.  :-\

I think the movie speaks about the lack of meaning in violence. It begins with the search of some money, that gets lost and ends in nothing. IMO that message was conveyed twice: first at the scene when Javier Bardem's character goes to kill Moss's wife. What was the point? He would not get the money out of killing her, he would not find anything about her husband because he was dead and Anton knew it, and there was no way she could testify against him because she didn't know who he was. He was crazy, he had to kill her because he gave his word, period. No motive, no meaning, nothing. The second time was Ed Tom's (Tommy Lee Jones) rambiling about the two dreams, that meant absolutely nothing. The story of Llewelyn and Anton was like the dreams the sheriff had. It meant nothing in the end. The whole ordeal was absurd even Javier Bardem's haircut and looks, and Llewelyn's motives in keeping the money.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 12:07:20 am »
To me, it is about that law is being overtaken by criminals!!

What do you think?

Hugs!

Offline "Joseph Golden"

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Dozy embrace solidified in his memory
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 12:29:34 am »
I read the book, seen the movie just before i finished the book. And finished the book not long ago.

I loved both. The film is majestically and brutally beautiful. The story is heartbreaking and amazing.

The movie has a lot of themes. I'll discuss some of which i know and think....

Freedom - The entire story is based around Texas. Where it is secluded and desalted. Open spaces - full of freedom. Each character is searching for it's own piece of this.
Moss - Finding the money makes him think, wow i live in a trailer and i have nothing. With this i can get the freedom i want. So he takes it. gets his wife to safety. Goes across the state looking to get away from whom is chasing hm. He wants his freedom. To get away form the maniac, to get away from poverty, to get away from the law. From himself...

Carla Jean - She in search of her own freedom, but not in the kind Moss wants. He wants to get away from the life they had. She wanted to get back what they had. She wanted everything to be the way it was. She was happy. There was no greed in her. She represented peace. When he asks her to about the coin. She says no cause unlike people on death row. She has free will. Free will to chose her own destiny. even if it was largely chose for her.

Bell (Sheriff) - he became a law enforcement officer not to hold the world or law in his hands. But to gain the respect from those he considered above him. His family. He sees the world changing into something so much worse than it is. He searches for this moss knowing that all he wants is the freedom to gt out of the world his in. He sees that common ground. The sheriff wants freedom, so he can understand just a little whats happening....

Anyways, i suppose that's just one theme. There are so many others.

But to me the film was great....
Don’t lie, don’t try to fool me, Ennis. I know what it means. Jack Twist? Jack Nasty.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 12:33:28 am »
Violence dominates!

Criminals overtake laws!

Where is peace, freedom??

Hugs!!

Offline "Joseph Golden"

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Dozy embrace solidified in his memory
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 12:44:57 am »
Violence dominates! - Yes, that is only succeeded in freedom, It is a human trait to resort to violence. We have all at least thought about it? We just aint free enough in our minds or heats to take it. This character is? He represents apart of us we all turn a blind eye to. His our anger, our hate, our violence. And in some it dominates?

Criminals overtake laws! - Yes, again they have the freedom to overtake what is predetermined. The law? How many characters are above the law? How many are below? How many follow? How many dont?

Where is peace, freedom?? - That's the point, Peace and Freedom is an illusion? Is there even a difference between peace and freedom?
Don’t lie, don’t try to fool me, Ennis. I know what it means. Jack Twist? Jack Nasty.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 11:58:09 am »
My interpretation was that the movie was about chance. It was about the capriciousness and randomness of death and fate. That's why Chigurh kept asking people to flip a coin. And was it the wife who asked how he got there and he said "same way the coin got here" or something like that? He killed just about anyone who happened, through sheer chance, to cross his path.

And that's how death is, really. Most movies portray death as something that happens to people who aren't smart and gutsy enough to evade it. Whether it's zombies or a shipwreck or aliens or a maniac or war ... the heroes through their wits and courage generally find some way to save themselves.

But in real life, that's not how death works. People die in war and natural disasters often because they were unlucky enough to have been in a particular place at a particular time. Plenty of smart and brave people got swept away by the tsunami or killed in terrorist attacks or shot by snipers and so on and were dead. There was no chance to use their wits and courage.

So that's what I see NCFOM being about. Chigurh is death, killing people by chance. And in the end even he himself is effected by the randomness of fate when he gets hit by a car.

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 12:10:12 pm »
My interpretation was that the movie was about chance. It was about the capriciousness and randomness of death and fate. That's why Chigurh kept asking people to flip a coin. And was it the wife who asked how he got there and he said "same way the coin got here" or something like that? He killed just about anyone who happened, through sheer chance, to cross his path.

And that's how death is, really. Most movies portray death as something that happens to people who aren't smart and gutsy enough to evade it. Whether it's zombies or a shipwreck or aliens or a maniac or war ... the heroes through their wits and courage generally find some way to save themselves.

But in real life, that's not how death works. People die in war and natural disasters often because they were unlucky enough to have been in a particular place at a particular time. Plenty of smart and brave people got swept away by the tsunami or killed in terrorist attacks or shot by snipers and so on and were dead. There was no chance to use their wits and courage.

So that's what I see NCFOM being about. Chigurh is death, killing people by chance. And in the end even he himself is effected by the randomness of fate when he gets hit by a car.

To me Chigurgh represents violence not just death. Everything he does is violent. He forgives the boys lives at the end of the movie because he was out in the open, and an ambulance was already called. Otherwise he probably would've killed them.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.