Author Topic: Music Music Music  (Read 220480 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Music Music Music
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2008, 08:40:31 pm »
Originally posted 12/13/07

Sincerely Yours

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=831tw8d7bU0[/youtube]

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2008, 08:53:58 pm »

Originally posted 12/27/07

I'm thinking that every once and a while, I'll do a "original vs. remake" poll, and see which more people like.

here is the first one, and this will be funny, seeing that this a brokeback site, with many country song fans.  The first "battle" I've set up, is a very popular country song.

Just remember, this is not a "which video is better" or "which song is better" contest.  This is which version do you like more.

The first contestant:

Rascall Flatts - What Hurts The Most

This version of the song got to #1 on the country charts, and #46 on the Billboard Hot 100.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJEs1TyzL_A[/youtube]

The second contestant:

Cascada - What Hurts The Most

European dance act Cascada scored a top 10 hit with "Everytime We Touch" and scored a big dance hit with "Miracle".  Her version of "What Hurts The Most" was released just weeks ago, and NYC radio is already starting to play it.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOC9QcHnsBo[/youtube]

Originally posted 12/27/07  Contest over, winner, Rascal Flatts

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2008, 09:01:25 pm »

Originally posted 1/1/08

This next session is the battle of the girl groups!

The Supremes  

Though Smokey Robinson & the Miracles had dealt with the subject of children born out of wedlock on an early, non-charting single titled "Bad Girl," the theme wouldn't prove to be successful until years later when Diana Ross & the Supremes would address the subject on "Love Child." Not only did it set some kind of precedent through its subject matter, it also was the group's first number one hit not written by the songwriting/production trio of Holland-Dozier-Holland. 

The writers decided to forego any romantic themes in favor of a socially conscious story line.  "Love Child" settled at number two R&B for three weeks and number one pop for two weeks in the fall of 1968.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax6FA340D7A[/youtube]

Sweet Sensation

From the years of 1985 to 1995, dance music was dominated by a genre called "freestyle".  Freestyle was a form of dance music that melded disco with latin sounds like merangue and salsa.  Numerous girl groups like The Cover Girls, Exposé, Company B. all put hit singles in the charts.  One of those girl groups was Sweet Sensation, who managed to get 6 hits on the charts, 4 of them in the Top 20. 

With the amount of teen pregnancies on the rise in the late 80s and early 90s, Sweet Sensation expressed an interest of doing a remake of The Supreme's classic hit, "Love Child" in 1990.  It got to #6 on the dance single sales chart, and #14 on the Hot 100 chart.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn6tyA8mi0M[/youtube]

Originally posted 1/1/08  Contest over, winner, The Supremes

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2008, 09:08:32 pm »
Originally posted 1/7/08

And now, how about a new "remake" poll?  Here is our first contestant.

Canadian Gordon Lightfoot first began to gain recognition in the mid-'60s as a songwriter when his compositions "For Lovin' Me" and "Early Morning Rain" became hits for Peter, Paul & Mary, and Marty Robbins topped the country charts with "Ribbon of Darkness." Lightfoot's own style was understated, his tasteful folk arrangements topped by a gentle burr of a voice. His albums began to appear in 1966, but it was not until the start of the '70s that he became a big success as a performer, scoring in 1970 with Sit Down Young Stranger, which contained his hit "If You Could Read My Mind," a song with a typically flowing melodic line and gently poetic lyrics.

In 1971, "If You Could Read My Mind" got to #5 on the Billboard Hot 100.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta0a3DFUU0Y[/youtube]

Stars on 54 is a one shot group made up of dance stars Ultra Naté, Amber, and Jocelyn Enriquez. They were hired to perform a song on the soundtrack of the movie "54", all about the famous "Studio 54" disco that was the hangout/haunt of a number of celebrities during the days of disco.  The song opens with Ultra Naté, followed by Amber, finished up with Jocelyn Enriquez.

In 1998, their version of "If You Could Read My Mind" got to #3 on the dance singles charts, and #52 on the Billboard Hot 100.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97ZbiemJ1KU[/youtube]

So, which version do you like?

Originally posted 1/7/08  Contest over, winner, Gordon Lightfoot

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2008, 09:26:19 pm »
Originally posted 1/16/08

Well, it's time for another "Which Do You Like" comparison.

This time, it's two different versions, but the same style of music.

Wish ft. Fonda Rae - "Touch Me (All Night Long)"

In 1984, studio group Wish released the dance single "Touch Me (All Night Long)".  It was also selected to be on the soundtrack of and in the movie "Nightmare On Elm Street 2".  The song got major play in the clubs, and while it didn't cross over to the pop charts, it got to #5 on the Billboard Dance Music chart.  No video was ever made, but I did find a slideshow of images of the featured vocalist, Fonda Rae, set to the music.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqo888gWsCI[/youtube]

Cathy Dennis - "Touch Me (All Night Long)"

Cathy Dennis also started her career as a featured vocalist, in the studio group "D-Mob".  Together they scored the hits "C'mon & Get My Love" and "That's The Way Of The World".  She went solo soon after, and recorded her debut cd, "Move To This".  The second single was Cathy's version of the Wish song.  However, there was some confusion with the title.  On the single, the song is called "Touch Me (All Night Long)", but on the CD it's called "All Night Long (Touch Me)".  Cathy also rewrote the lyrics to the song, but kept the chorus the same.  Her single crossed over to the Billboard Hot 100, where it reached #2.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-G3BEJVYKnY[/youtube]

So which do you like better, Wish ft. Fonda Rae, or Cathy Dennis?

Originally posted 1/16/08  Contest over, winner, Cathy Dennis

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2008, 09:45:44 pm »

Originally posted 1/26/08

I did want toget back to my routine somewhat, so i'm restarting the "Which version is better?" poll today.

With our last poll, for the first time, the remake beat the original, with Cathy Denis beating the Wish ft Fonda Rae version by 1 vote.

Although, I know which versioin will win this poll...... :laugh:

In 1955, Elvis began is never ending reign as the King of Rock & Roll.  He sold millions of singles and albums, sold out concerts and movie theaters, and performed until the time of his death.

In 1962, Elvis got to #2 on the Billboad Hot 100 with his song "Can't Help Fallin' In Love".

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq-ZMVkJDJ0[/youtube]

For a ten year stretch (1983 - 1993)  English reggae band UB40 collected a string of hits in the US, mainly reggae versions of popular songs.  In 1990, UB40 remade the Elvis tune in their own style, and it not only appeared on their own CD, but on the soundtrack for the movie "Sliver", staring Sharon Stone.

Their version charted better than Elvis' original, getting to #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1993.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MxmthbKZYU[/youtube]

So, which version do you like better?

Originally posted 1/26/08  Contest over, winner, a tie

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2008, 09:50:39 pm »

Originally posted 2/7/08

Now, on to the new poll.  Our last one ended in a tie, the first time ever, between UB40 & Elvis Presley.

This vote will be different today.  The song is recorded by two different acts, in the same year.   They are the same style, essentially, but they are slightly different musically, and the vocals are definitely different. 

It was in 1983 that 14-year old Kensit became lead singer of brother Jamie Kensit's fledgling band, Spice. Rounding out the original lineup were guitarist Geoff Beauchamp, bassist Lawrence Lewis, drummer Jake Walters, and a friend named Nigel providing additional percussion. By late 1984, Kensit was contributing more to the band's music and they had changed their name to Eighth Wonder.  Signing to CBS in early 1986, they worked on a debut album, Fearless.  Fearless had been completed and released in July of 1987, Eighth Wonder had issued a string of singles that had found success across Europe. Fearless sold well in the U.K. and the group (now a quartet) even notched minor chart singles ("Cross My Heart" and "Baby Baby") in the U.S.

Here is Eighth Wonder's version of "Cross My Heart".

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxeWcgBrJVA[/youtube]

Martika appeared after teen girls like Tiffany and Debbie Gibson returned adolescent bubblegum to the pop charts. Martika was born as Marta Marrero in Whittier, CA, on May 18, 1969. Her parents were originally from Cuba; however, they left the country during a revolution. Raised in California, Martika started acting before launching a recording career, appearing in the film version of Annie in 1982 and on the TV series Kids Incorporated from 1984 to 1986. In 1988, her first single, "More Than You Know," landed on the American charts; a year later, its follow-up, "Toy Soldiers," was number one in the U.S. for two weeks. Martika's self-titled debut album was also released in 1989.

Here is Martika's version of "Cross My Heart".  No vid was made, this is a fan vid of the record on the turntable.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1NF3TnIRJE[/youtube]

So, which do you prefer?  Martika's more "mature" sounding vocals and production, or Eighth Wonder's "sugary" bubble gum production?

Originally posted 2/7/08  Contest over, winner, Martika

Offline dejavu

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2008, 01:35:15 pm »
Good idea to keep the music videos in one place, so it's easier to go back and listen.

Now ... what do you have in mind for the next poll?
Jack's from Texas.
Texans don't drink coffee?

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2008, 08:21:01 pm »
Here is the latest version of "Which Do You Like Better"?

One of the most gifted, visionary, and enduring talents ever launched into orbit by the Motown hit machine, Marvin Gaye blazed the trail for the continued evolution of popular black music.  After graduating from high school, Gaye enlisted in the U.S. Air Force; upon his discharge, he returned to Washington and began singing in a number of street-corner doo wop groups.  While first working at Motown as a session drummer and playing on early hits by Smokey Robinson & the Miracles, he met Gordy's sister Anna, and married her in late 1961. Upon mounting a solo career, Gaye struggled to find his voice, and early singles failed. Finally, his fourth effort, "Stubborn Kind of Fellow," became a minor hit in 1962, and his next two singles — the 1963 dance efforts "Hitch Hike" and "Can I Get a Witness" — both reached the Top 30.   In 1976, his song "I Want You" got to #1 on the R&B chart, and #15 on the Billboard Hot 100.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceXNTGoWu74&feature=related[/youtube]

Madonna moved from her native Michigan to New York in 1977, with dreams of becoming a ballet dancer. She studied with choreographer Alvin Ailey and modeled. In 1979, she became part of the Patrick Hernandez Revue, a disco outfit that had the hit "Born to Be Alive." She traveled to Paris with Hernandez; it was there that she met Dan Gilroy, who would soon become her boyfriend. Upon returning to New York, the pair formed the Breakfast Club, a pop/dance group.  A demo tape worked its way to Mark Kamins, a New York-based DJ/producer. Kamins directed the tape to Sire Records, which signed the singer in 1982.

Kamins produced Madonna's first single, "Everybody," which became a club and dance hit at the end of 1982; her second single, 1983's "Physical Attraction," was another club hit. In June of 1983, she had her third club hit with the bubbly "Holiday," which was written by Jellybean Benitez. Madonna's self-titled debut album was released in September of 1983; "Holiday" became her first Top 40 hit the following month. "Borderline" became her first Top Ten hit in March of 1984, beginning a remarkable string of 17 consecutive Top Ten hits.

After the scandal of Madonna's book (Sex) and matching album (Erotica), Madonna released an album of ballads/love songs.  Although never released as a single, a video was made for Madonna's version of the Marvin Gaye classic "I Want You".

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I2OJii5_64[/youtube]

So, which version do you like better, Marvin's, or Madonna's?

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2008, 10:19:24 pm »

I was surprised i liked the madonna one best. i dont really care for her much

That Marvin Gaye video. got on my nerves.  and i have always loved him.  Heard it thru the
              Grapevine man.........

Beautiful mind