Author Topic: Music Music Music  (Read 222450 times)

Offline dejavu

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Music Music Music
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2008, 01:45:52 pm »
Jack, my friend who liked the Iron Horse version does come originally from western Pennsylvania countryside (near West Virginia), but that may not be as much "bluegrass" territory as where you live.
Jack's from Texas.
Texans don't drink coffee?

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2008, 02:48:14 pm »
Jack, my friend who liked the Iron Horse version does come originally from western Pennsylvania countryside (near West Virginia), but that may not be as much "bluegrass" territory as where you live.

It could be that I am being a little difficult on the song. I think it actually is called alternative bluegrass. I work with someone whose husband plays in a band like this, but Iron Horse is better. The only thing I seem to hear from the band I am mentioning is moaning with some really lousy music behind the moaning. Here is what I call true bluegrass which I like ok now, but when I was growing up I hated it. I even had relatives that used to come up to my grandmother's from Punkintown, South Carolina and play this kind of bluegrass when I was real little.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6p11TrVOrE[/youtube]

Offline dejavu

« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2008, 07:44:33 pm »
That was pretty good, Jack, and I understand the difference you are talking about with "alternative bluegrass."

I think I would have hated the true bluegrass style, too, when I was younger, but I can appreciate it now.  Good musicians.
Jack's from Texas.

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2008, 06:31:30 am »
Just because it's my current favorite song.

American Idol winner Jordin Sparks with Chris Brown.

"No Air"

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yTs_1Lu60Q[/youtube]

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2008, 06:22:08 pm »
A King Dethroned

Part 1

The king of Rock-N-Roll, Elvis Presley, had a long reign as the artist with the most #1 singles ever, with 17 #1 songs.  That reign ended today, when Mariah Carey's new single, "Touch My Body", hit #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 today (4-3-08), her 18th #1 single.

Mariah Carey's career has spanned from her debut single in 1990, to today.  Her next CD is scheduled to be released soon.

Mariah's #1 songs are:

Vision Of Love, Love Takes Time, Emotions, I Don't Wanna Cry, Someday, I'll Be There, Dreamlover, Hero, Fantasy, One Sweet Day, Always Be My Baby, Honey, My All, Heartbreaker, Thank God I Found You, Don't Forget About Us, We Belong Together.

Here is the song that pushed her above Elvis.   "Touch My Body"

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ISECfO9hNc[/youtube]

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2008, 06:23:41 pm »
A King Dethroned

Part 2

The king of Rock-N-Roll, Elvis Presley, had a long reign as the artist with the most Top 10 singles ever, with a total of 36 Top 10 hits.  That reign ended today, when Madonna's new single, "4 Minutes", moved up the Billboard Hot 100 from #68 to #3 today (4-3-08), her 37th Top 10 single.

Madonna's career has spanned from her debut single in 1983, to today.  Her next CD is scheduled to be released soon.

Madonna's Top 10 songs are:

Borderline, Lucky Star, Like a Virgin, Material Girl, Angel, Crazy For You, Dress You Up, Live to Tell, Papa Don't Preach, Open Your Heart, True Blue, Who's That Girl, Causin' A Commotion, La Isla Bonita, Like A Prayer, Express Yourself, Cherrish, Keep It Together, Justify My Love, Rescue Me, Vogue, Hanky Panky, Erotica, This Used To Be My Playground, Deeper and Deeper, I'll Remember, Secret, Take A Bow, You'll See, Don't Cry For Me Argentina, Frozen, Ray Of Light, Music, Don't Tell Me, Die Another Day, Hung Up.

Here is the song that pushed her over Elvis,  "4 Minutes".

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEjIGSSf8lI[/youtube]
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 05:19:00 pm by CellarDweller »

Offline dejavu

« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2008, 06:30:02 pm »
Oh, I just got through listening to Part 1, "Touch My Body."  That was a good song.

I thought you were going to do a poll here.  You're just dethroning Elvis!   ;D
Jack's from Texas.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2008, 07:40:56 pm »
Well, it appears that the last contest ended in a tie between metal band Metallica, and bluegrass band Iron Horse.

So, on to our next poll.

In the past, the songs have been a successful original, with a successful remake.  This time, it's a little different, as the original version really was not well known, but the remake was a huge hit.

Cherelle - "I Didn't Mean To Turn You On"

Born Cheryl Week Norton in 1958 in Los Angeles, CA, her cousin is singer Pebbles. When her family moved to Detroit, MI, she met bassist/singer Michael Henderson.  In 1977, Henderson was recording his gold album In the Night-Time and invited Cheryl to the studio. She come there in the evenings after she'd finished working at the bank. She became Cherrelle because her boss would be stressed because she was always late for work. She'd yell, "Cher—-relle, you're late!"

Cherrelle went on tour with Michael Henderson and Luther Vandross. Later, she recorded a demo that came to the attention of Tabu Records owner Clarence Avant. Her attorney father negotiated the recording contract with Avant's label that was distributed by A&M Records. Teamed with producers/songwriters Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, who had hits with Tabu recording act the S.O.S. Band, Cherrelle began to have a steady stream of hits.  Her debut song, "I Didn't Mean to Turn You On", got to #6 on the dance charts, and Cherelle went on to score a number of R&B hits, as well as cross over to the pop charts with the single "Saturday Love," a duet with labelmate Alexander O' Neal.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKC5c4ojc6c[/youtube]

Robert Palmer- "I Didn't Mean To Turn You On"

The career of blue-eyed soul singer Robert Palmer was a study in style versus substance. While the performer's earliest work won praise for its skillful assimilation of rock, R&B, and reggae sounds, his records typically sold poorly, and he achieved his greatest notoriety as an impeccably dressed lounge lizard. By the mid-'80s, however, Palmer became a star, although his popularity owed less to the strength of his material than to his infamous music videos: taking their cue from the singer's suave presence, Palmer's clips established him as a dapper, suit-and-tie lady's man who performed his songs backed by a band comprised of leggy models, much to the delight of viewers who made him one of MTV's biggest success stories.

Palmer recorded the 1985 solo album Riptide, a sleek collection of guitar rock which scored a number one hit with "Addicted to Love," the first in a string of videos which offered him in front of a bevy of beautiful women.

The follow-up,  a remake of Cherelles' "I Didn't Mean to Turn You On," continued to play with the sex symbol image and climbed up the dance charts, and had a bigger success than Cherelle's original by hitting number two on the Bilboard Hot 100 pop chart.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqf_JXvZJso[/youtube]

So, which version of the song do you like better?   Cherelle's dance/R&B original, or Robert Palmer's remake?

Offline dejavu

« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2008, 09:31:26 pm »
I voted for Cherelle.  She just seemed happier singing her version, and the song seemed more upbeat. 

I had a hard time making out the lyrics in Robert Palmer's version, although that could be this particular recording.
Jack's from Texas.

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2008, 03:24:39 pm »
I truly thought I would be voting for Cherelle and it was close, but I ended up voting for Robert Palmer. I was never a huge fan of Robert Palmer, but this song if I'm not mistaken was being played during the early part through a good part of the summer of 1986. That song, though I had pretty much forgotten about it, was part of a group of songs that I think I recorded on I don't know how many tapes. That was one of those years that was life changing for me and it brings back many, many pleasant memories. The year didn't end good although I wasn't aware of it at the time. I actually did like his other big song "Addicted to Love" a lot until I heard it for the one millionth time.