Author Topic: As Easter nears, no Easter in Annie's story or the BM movie?? But??  (Read 41785 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: As Easter nears, no Easter in Annie's story or the BM movie?? But??
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2008, 12:57:17 pm »
About two years ago, I read a thought written by someone who thinks that the BM movie is like Easter if I interpret him, since he figured that it was pentecostal !!

I guess like every person carries his/her own cross?? Is that it?

Hugs!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2008, 01:18:32 pm »
I don't know much about the pentacost, so I'll go back to the original question. The concept of Easter, or rebirth, regeneration, DOES appear in both the story and the film, IMO, but subtly. There are quite a few parallels to the story of Jesus in both. First of all, the story begins with impoverished rural people traveling a long distance in the service of the government. We recall that Mary and Joseph were simple peasants who came to Bethlehem (notice it starts with a B) to be counted. Aguirre said the first words in the movie when he called to them, saying "You pair a deuces lookin for work..." Aguirre is known as an incarnation of God in some cultures. The Bible depicts Joseph walking while Mary rode on a donkey, and of the two of them, only Jack had transportation, and his was rickety at best.

Okay, I'll fast forward here in the interest of time. Jack was a bullrider, and Jesus was portrayed as such when he entered Jerusalem on "an unbroken colt" (this was pointed out to me by Annie Proulx herself in answer to a question I asked her). Jack was purported to have supernatural powers, such as curing pneumonia and attracting lightning. He certainly was able to work miracles when it came to bringing Ennis out of his shell! Nevertheless, Jack pursued love at the expense of his own safety, similar to the risky things Jesus did in his ministry. Jack's end was brutish and disputed, just like Jesus'.

Ennis' character had some parallels to Peter's. Like the first apostle, he spoke out against Jack and I believe it was three times. At the end, after it was too late, he pledged his love to Jack, saying "Jack, I swear." There is a glimmer of the promise of Easter redemption, though very subtle in the story and just a little stronger in the movie. Can you see it in the photo below?? I missed it the first dozen or so times I saw the movie, but when I viewed it at the BBQ last May, I saw it for the first time, right in the very middle of the screen!!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Artiste

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2008, 02:44:46 pm »
Thanks very, very much Front-Ranger!

Wow, you sure detail beautifully!!

Now, I have to ponder  about each detail you present!

So great to know that!

More?

Hugs!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2008, 04:11:59 pm »
Thanks, Artiste. Yes, there is more!! Did you know that the Easter story of Jesus rising from the dead was eerily similar to earlier stories and myths from other religions? In these stories, the Earth Mother gave birth to the Sun God in the spring, who grew to manhood and became her lover. He was cut down and died in the autumn, bringing on the winter, but the mother always gave birth to him again year after year. Thus was mankind assured of life's continuance and given new hope in the darkest days of the year.

In Brokeback Mountain, we have Ma Twist as the Earth Mother, keeper of the mysteries such as the Pentacost and why she would marry an SOB like Old Man Twist. She is also the one who gives the benediction, laying her hand on Ennis' shoulder, bestowing the gift of the shirts, and saying "You come back, see us again."

Has anyone spotted the sign of redemption in the closing scene of the movie that I posted earlier today??

Offline Artiste

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2008, 06:40:34 pm »
Thanks Front-Ranger!

I sure like your description about Mrs. Twist!

However, I am puzzled as to why you detail Mr. Twist like that!
(Is he supposed to be Judas?)

More please.

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2008, 06:42:57 pm »
I think of Old Man Twist as more like Jehovah or the Vengeful God, the patriarcal God who judges the quick and the dead.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2008, 06:54:59 pm »
Thanks Front-Ranger!

Boy, you sure create a puzzle for me there!

May I say that:
1- since Mr. Twist did love Jack, therefore he is angry at Ennis for not living with his son;

(That is if Jack is Mr. Twist's son... which I question).

2- and, because Mr. Twist is still sad because of Jack's passing, is he being vengeful really by not letting Jack's ashes to Ennis?

Note: I have noticed that when someone dies, that some or many persons become even vengeful !!
Like you suggested too quickly to judge!! One example is when Heath passed away, I had created about 1 p.m. a thread concerning death, and when I came back about 6 p.m., there was already 3 (if not more) plus a moderator who blasted me for that!! How was I to know that Heath was to die after my thread?

Do you understand what I mean?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2008, 07:18:05 pm »
I do not know if all persons tend to judge too quickly, it seems so; since many do without looking at the facts!! I did that often! Do I do it as often now with my past experiences? Does everbody? Is everyone a Mr. Twist?

Is everyone a Mrs. Twist?

On the other hand, some persons do NOT act fast enough, as some do to SAVE their lives!!

How can one prevent from someone harming you or you harming someone??

WE need to feel as well as to think?? Which comes first??

Is that what the BM movie and Easter is about?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2008, 10:25:31 pm »
1- since Mr. Twist did love Jack, therefore he is angry at Ennis for not living with his son;
You have a point there, Artiste. It sure does seem like OMT has a chip on his shoulder when it comes to Ennis. "'Ennis Del Mar' he says, he's gonna come up here and whip this ranch into shape." The contemptuous way he says Ennis' name...and the way he accuses Ennis without just coming out and saying it of rejecting his son and his proposition.
(That is if Jack is Mr. Twist's son... which I question).
I'm with you, Artiste. It's hard to believe that Jack could be OMT's son, and Annie Proulx also throws doubt when she says that Ennis "couldn't see much of Jack in either one of them." People ended up with children many different ways back then. Jack could have been adopted, or he could have actually been the son of a relative. Plus, there's the fact that he was circumcized and his father wasn't. That is a little unusual. Usually it's like father, like son.
2- and, because Mr. Twist is still sad because of Jack's passing, is he being vengeful really by not letting Jack's ashes to Ennis?
No doubt, there, too, Artiste. How else to explain it. He could have given Ennis at least SOME of the ashes anyway!
Note: I have noticed that when someone dies, that some or many persons become even vengeful !!
Like you suggested too quickly to judge!! One example is when Heath passed away, I had created about 1 p.m. a thread concerning death, and when I came back about 6 p.m., there was already 3 (if not more) plus a moderator who blasted me for that!! How was I to know that Heath was to die after my thread?

Do you understand what I mean?
I understand exactly what you mean, Artiste. There have been some distraught, angry, and beside-themselves people both in the virtual and real-life world during the past two months. The classic steps of grieving start with 1, shock and 2, anger. I think it was doubly hard for some people who may have never experienced the death of a loved one before, as well as for those who might not have the tightest grasp on reality to start with. The intensity and vehemence of the reaction of some people to Heath's death was startling and scary. Hopefully, we have found ways to reconcile it by now and are starting to move toward resignation, acceptance, and valuing the life that Heath did have, the spirit that he did possess and shared with us, and even to be happy that we had the opportunity to experience his rare talent, spirit, and character.

But it was definitely shaky there for a while!!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2008, 11:06:30 pm »
Thanks very, very much Front-Ranger!

You sure are enlightning! I appreciate that!

As far as you say concerning this:
I'm with you, Artiste. It's hard to believe that Jack could be OMT's son, and Annie Proulx also throws doubt when she says that Ennis "couldn't see much of Jack in either one of them." People ended up with children many different ways back then. Jack could have been adopted, or he could have actually been the son of a relative. Plus, there's the fact that he was circumcized and his father wasn't. That is a little unusual. Usually it's like father, like son.

Front-Ranger, I am so happy that you say that!

Front-Ranger and to all too: I had thought that Jack maybe Mrs. Twist sister's son, and I do not remember how I did that! As a possibility... ??

What I find a bit stange  is more than that too! Mr. Twist knows about Ennis before Ennis comes because Jack had told him things, maybe? What is this relationship, friendship, rapport directly told to HIM by Jack, and/or to Mrs. Twist who mentioned it to old man Twist? Any clues there?

Au revoir,
hugs!