Author Topic: The Time Traveler's Lover, by Soulan  (Read 3344 times)

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
The Time Traveler's Lover, by Soulan
« on: February 23, 2008, 01:00:53 pm »
I'd like to give this fic my very warmest recommendations, in case there is anyone here who hasn't read it. This is one of my favourite canon fics.

It's a beautiful, intelligent, bittersweet fic that strongly challenges and engages the reader's heart and mind both.

Here's a link to a list of all the chapters, with links to each one:

http://soulan.livejournal.com/

It bases the plot on a concept developed in the best-selling novel "Time Traveler's Wife" - where the protagonist at random times happens to travel back and forth in time and has to deal with his life and the love of his life in despite of this problematic condition. In this fic it's Jack who is the time traveller, and it's pure artistic mastery how Soulan has managed to hold on to canon and nevertheless develop the various time travelling incidents to give subtly new, added or double meaning to events and themes in canon, to develop the characters with love and understanding, and to give the story a heartwrenchingly satisfying twist that, as the fic blurb promises, "changes everything and nearly nothing". It's the kind of fic that can be read and re-read and where new insights are gained each time. Do give it a try if you haven't already.  :)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: The Time Traveler's Lover, by Soulan
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 02:00:15 pm »
Oh, thanks for the recommendation. Sounds good. From the summary, I never would have developed an interest in this story, but your warm words make me want to read it.

I haven't read any FF the last weeks. I keep checking BBS every few days, and I don't know exactly why, since I not even read my fav stories when they are updated.

But I'm happy that I'm back at a point where I enjoy Ennis and Jack again, my interest in discussing the movie and story is back. Not yet as much as it used to be, but going there.

Anyway, I'll keep this story in the back of my mind for sometime later.

Offline Mikaela

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 06:09:53 pm »
I couldn't read fanfics at first either, but recently refound my interest enough to read when a very few special fics update. And TTL is one of those, there was a full cycle of 8 new chapters posted last week (the chapters are short, though very fulfilling to read).

The fic is finished, btw, - even though further inset chapters might appear, that does not detract from the current status: An IMO astounding piece of completed fan writing.

(The time travelling concept - how to make that actually work in a novel-length story -  intriegued me so much that I actually read the book "Time Traveller's Wife" over Christmas and it's a great read. They're in the process of filming it with Eric Bana in the lead role. Definitely a film I'm gonna see. So in addition to being a wonderful BBM fic this broadened my perspective beyond that.  :) )

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 02:49:21 pm »
Thanks for the recommendation, Mikaela. 

I've been avoiding TTL specifically because I had read "The Time Traveler's Wife," and while I thought it was a great read and exceptionally well-written, it was also gut-wrenching and I wasn't sure if I wanted to pile time-travel gut-wrenching on top of BBM gut-wrenching.  And just when I thought I might want to try it .....  :'(

But your recommendation makes me want to read it....hopefully, in the not too distant future. 

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Mikaela

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 03:17:20 pm »
TTL is a canon Brokeback fic and yes, we know how canon goes.... :'( 
BUT I will say that the time travelling concept manages to inject some lovely rays of hope and comfort too, and some sweet with the bitter and sad, while nevertheless staying true to the framework and main events in canon. So when you feel the time is right, Marie... I think you'll like it.  :)

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 05:01:27 pm »
Well, I just ordered the book of Amazon, thanks to your recommendations Mika and Marie!

thanks!  :)

I'll definitely give the fan fic story a go too.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 02:14:16 pm »
TTL is a canon Brokeback fic and yes, we know how canon goes.... :'( 
BUT I will say that the time travelling concept manages to inject some lovely rays of hope and comfort too, and some sweet with the bitter and sad, while nevertheless staying true to the framework and main events in canon. So when you feel the time is right, Marie... I think you'll like it.  :)

Thanks for that comforting reassurance, Mikaela  :-*

Well, I just ordered the book of Amazon, thanks to your recommendations Mika and Marie!

thanks!  :)

I'll definitely give the fan fic story a go too.

Oh, good to hear, Fabienne - let me know what you think the book!

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain