Author Topic: "The Queen's Gambit," a discussion ***Possible Spoilers***  (Read 25220 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
"The Queen's Gambit," a discussion ***Possible Spoilers***
« on: February 23, 2008, 10:28:39 pm »
Here's a thread to discuss the novel "The Queen's Gambit," by Walter Tevis.

It is the novel Heath planned to make into a film, in his planned full-length film directorial debut.

I would love if those with clear ideas on how to structure the discussion would post their ideas. 
« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 12:15:15 am by Ellemeno »

Offline Ellemeno

Re: "The Queen's Gambit," a discussion
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 10:33:30 pm »
Let's have a roll call of who is interested in participating, and if they have read the book yet or not:

Hi, I'm Clarissa and I'm a Heathen.  I read the book recently and have finished it.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 11:10:34 pm »
I am Leslie and I think it goes without saying that I am a Heathen! LOL

I am about 3/4s of the way through The Queen's Gambit and will finish or tomorrow or Monday.

And it makes me wish I knew more about chess!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 12:34:03 am »
Meryl here, and a card-carrying Heathen.  I've got the book but haven't started it yet.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 02:18:29 am »
Well, I don't even have the book ordered because I have so much I HAVE to read right now. But then again, I am a card-carrying Heathen, and I've been impressed by people's comments on what a page-turner it is ...

OK, that's it, I'm not going to read this thread again for fear I'll find out too much.

Offline cmr107

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Call me Courtney
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 02:27:26 am »
I'm Courtney, and I'm a Heathen, but like Katherine, I have way too much I should be reading right now. I intend to read it as soon as I have time, which will hopefully be Spring Break.  :-\

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 05:40:13 am »
Oh, how nice, additionally to the HHH thread we now have a HA thread  ;D

I'm Chrissi and I am a Heathen.  I've started reading the book and am roughly one third through it. Will finish within a week. Looking forward to the discussions  :).

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 06:44:37 am »
Hi, I'm Mikaela and I'm a Heathen. *sniff* No surprise there!

I finished the book yesterday and I had lots of thoughts after having finished it.

As for structure, I think I'd just like to wade in ASAP while the memories are as fresh as possible, but perhaps we could tackle the content and characters first, especially the character of Beth -  then after that what must have especially resonated with Heath, ...and then the more movie-related issues: I.e. How do you adapt into a film something where so much of the action is people sitting over chess boards making moves...

Anyway, though I liked the book a lot it didn't make me a whit more interested in chess! (I'm not even good at Sudoku.) Reading lots and lots of books about previous chess games would be my idea of pure, boring, horrible hell.  ;D All the more kudos to the author who manged to make this resonate with humanity and so relevant and interesting despite the chess-based action.
It is a good reminder how the human brain is wired and how intensely focused we can become about that which catches our interest and imagination and fires our physical and/or mental strengths into full "on" mode -  be it chess or marathon or discussing Brokeback Mountain.  :)

**Slaps self on wrist**

Yes, I will shut up now!

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 06:57:42 am »
No, after pondering a bit I think I want to say that what I'm most interested in discussing first is Beth. Her character, her development, her personality, her strengths and weaknesses, what specific influences make her the person she is and becomes, how does she interact with others.

She's a fascinating person, so much packed into one person's frame, I've got loads to say on it and as I said elsewhere I do find her strangely relevant to what we know (or sense) about Heath, and about many extremely talented artists in various fields.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2008, 07:14:59 am »
I certainly think that Beth is worthy of plenty of discussion.

Walter Tevis is also the author of The Hustler and The Color of Money--books that I haven't read but I've seen both movies and they are good. They are about pool. I wonder if those books are similar to this--taking a "sport" that on the surface seems sort of boring and turn it into a terrific read? Interesting.

He also wrote The Man Who Fell to Earth. Wasn't that made into a movie with David Bowie? (working from memory here....)

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!