Author Topic: "The Queen's Gambit," a discussion ***Possible Spoilers***  (Read 25379 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: "The Queen's Gambit," a discussion
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2008, 07:18:26 am »

Thanks for the smile that gave me, Mikaela.

What if he played  - oh I don't have my copy here - the man who taught her chess, the janitor.  That was maybe the most nuanced male part, and the most silent.

I picture the janitor as an older man, and heavy. Personally, I couldn't see Heath in that role at all.

We have lots of parts we can cast. Just quickly:

Jolene
Mrs. Deardorff (the superintendent)
Ferguson (the nice guy at the school)
Mrs. Wheatley
Beltik
Townes
Benny Watts
Borgov

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2008, 08:09:07 am »
Yes, yes, I've finally gotten confirmation that the book is on its way!

Can't wait to start reading it.  :)
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2008, 09:27:58 am »
Yes, yes, I've finally gotten confirmation that the book is on its way!

Can't wait to start reading it.  :)

I buzzed right through it. It's a good story.
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2008, 01:06:23 pm »

What if he played  - oh I don't have my copy here - the man who taught her chess, the janitor.  That was maybe the most nuanced male part, and the most silent.

I didn't think the janitor was especially nuanced. Came off as a rather one-dimensional guy to me. As did all the guys in Beth's life, to be honest, except Borgov. He's her nemesis, the one she will continue to fear and respect - the one she will be in constant mental and professional battle with, the one she won't ever excel over and pass by or tire of. So I think he's the most interesting and nuanced guy because of that.... seen through Beth's eyes.

The reason why every other guy than Borgov seemed so blah probably was because we do somehow see them through Beth's eyes - and she leaves them, finds them of little interest, once she's managed to make all the use of them she can as relates to her "art" - chess. Once they've got nothing more to teach her there, she leaves them behind with little fuss. They are only "persons" as far as their chess-playing abilities reach. (Although perhaps there is a chance that Benny could become something more...that last tleephone conversation out of the blue leaves hope for that..?)  It is a seemingly cold and callous attitude towards others, and a very single-minded focus on her own "art" and development of same (one that however is not uncommon in very talented artists, I beleive - I've read biographies where this kind of relationship to others seems prominennt).

But this way of dealing with others  probably also stems from her childhood abandomment issues - she subconsciously fears emotional attachements because life has taught her those just end up with pain and grief and loneiness - and she picks men that can contribute to developing her passion for chess, rather than men that she might become truly emotionally attached to beyond that - and so she can leave them before they can leave her, and without the pain that would come from a real break-up.

Argh... enough said. I'm NOT gonna start this till everyone's read the book!  :-X

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2008, 01:47:05 pm »
My book arrived too - I plan to start tonight.  The trick is getting my 3-year-old to bed before I fall asleep!

Hey Susie!

Ah, 3 year olds... been there done that. I don't think I was reading much when my kids were that age.  ;D
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2008, 05:23:56 am »
Hey Susie!

Ah, 3 year olds... been there done that. I don't think I was reading much when my kids were that age.  ;D

Me too, my daughter is almost five and I only started really reading again in the last very few months.

Okay, this is what I realized I loved about this book, and I would like to know if there is a name for this - it is entirely written from Beth's perspective, not even too much of her thoughts, unless she is obsessing, more just her actions, and what she sees, hears, etc.  We realize the unspoken by what she sees, like the crowds increasing when she plays - oh she's getting famous, for example. 

When I realized the book was written this way, I got excited, I thought that maybe this was a style of writing I could maybe do.  Not much description, or analysis, just one person's perceptions as she walks down a hall or takes a bus.  It was only from reading some Amazon reviews did I learn that those pills she was taking are Librium.  Maybe we were supposed to understand that from the physical description and the effects, but I didn't.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2008, 06:22:15 am »
It was only from reading some Amazon reviews did I learn that those pills she was taking are Librium.  Maybe we were supposed to understand that from the physical description and the effects, but I didn't.

***SPOILERS***

Small world  ;D
No, we aren't supposed to understand it from the effects, Librium is named. Half an hour ago, I just read the scene where it's mentioned the pills are Librium. It's on page 134, when Mrs. Wheatley dies and Beth asks the doc who attested Mrs. W's death for a prescription. The doc answers in Mexico you don't need a prescription for Librium (and alarm bells began to ring in the back of my head. Must be paradise for Beth).

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2008, 07:42:45 am »
If anyone is interested, here is a little history of Librium:

http://www.benzo.org.uk/librium.htm

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2008, 04:21:12 pm »
... Sometimes I think of Heath holding his copy and reading/thinking about the very same words.

Oh my (((Susie))) - another heart pang!   :'(

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Ellemeno

Re: "The Queen's Gambit," a discussion ***Possible Spoilers***
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2008, 12:15:57 am »
There were a few phrases in the book that were surprisingly BBMesque.  Did anyone notice any?