Author Topic: "The Queen's Gambit," a discussion ***Possible Spoilers***  (Read 25215 times)

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
Re: "The Queen's Gambit," a discussion ***Possible Spoilers***
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2008, 02:40:02 pm »
Qualities in Beth that remind me of Heath are her intelligence, strong will and ability to concentrate when it's necessary, her innate integrity and ability to size people up quickly and her dangerous fascination with drugs and alcohol.

What struck me was the duality in Beth - one that I suppose was also there in Heath and that he may well have recognized: The immense internal tension, pressure, energy, restlessness and sheer *drive* that came with her talent and her outstanding abilities (or were a result of them, I don't know whether the chicken or the egg came first). Anyway, all that enormously potent energy was a burden and a blessing both. It demanded an outlet; and it could and did take her in two directions to find that outlet. When things were going well and she was in a position to freely practice and develop her art (and chess appears as a true art form here) the energy took her to new artistic heights, drove her on to amazing achievements. When she was denied that artistic outlet or an immense outburst of creative energy had worn her completely down, she turned to psychofarma or alcohol to be able to blunt and tame the immense internal pressure that was always there, to somehow control and dull its impact - in addition to using those things as comfort and support.

I think there may be a truth here about the character of many very hugely talented and apparently "highstrung" people, - the curse that comes with their gift.

Offline luminousmidnight

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2008, 11:25:28 pm »
I honestly cannot believe there is discussion on The Queen's Gambit.  I read it back in September of 2004, and it remains one of my top three books.  It's a beautiful story, and I'm stunned to learn that there's a movie in some kind of production.

Does anyone know for sure if the movie is actually going to be made?  I can't believe Heath Ledger was going to direct and star in it.

Back in 2004-6, there was almost no talk of Queen's Gambit anywhere on the web.  I remember, because I looked from time to time.  Now this.  Excellent :).

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2008, 07:18:59 am »
Welcome Luminous,

I see you're new to Bettermost. Welcome! Glad to have you here.

Yes, we are trying to get a discussion off the ground. We are a pretty international group and people are in various stages of reading, but I think most of us have finished the book.

I haven't heard anything more about this as a movie project, since Heath's death.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

yb

« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2008, 08:57:32 am »
I read that the writer will look for other people to direct the film.

yb

« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2008, 09:04:31 am »
I thought the writer was no longer alive.  Unless you mean the screenwriter.

Maybe so, I'm not sure.  I haven't paid too much attention to this project. 

Sorry for the wrong information. 

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2008, 09:41:38 am »
I found two audio interviews with Walter Tevis, done around the time of publication of The Queen's Gambit.

http://wiredforbooks.org/waltertevis/

I haven't had a chance to listen to them yet.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2008, 02:40:48 am »

The thing that I loved about Beth's character was how unstoppable she was.  Once she saw that chessboard in the school basement, she refused to let anything discourage her from finding out just what it was and how it worked.  She overcame the restrictive school schedule, the janitor's blunt refusal to let her play, his lack of cooperation in teaching her, and eventually even being banned from playing chess at all until she was adopted.  Even then, she had to resort to theft and subterfuge to get the materials she needed.  It was like she knew she had been born just for chess and went for it like a plant to sunlight.

Again, like Heath, leaving home with less than $24 in a coffee can, traveling to Sydney, then LA.  Repositioning himself when he didn't like the direction his career was going, undeterred.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2008, 02:42:34 am »

I agree that Heath would have been great in the role of Benny Watts.  I hope the book is eventually made into a movie by someone.  Perhaps Ellen Page would fit well as Beth.  I have not seen Juneau,  but she seems to be the right age and has the right look.

Ellen Page was the one Heath was going to have play the part.  I agree, I can't picture anyone else in the role.

Offline luminousmidnight

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2008, 03:55:06 am »

Ellen Page was the one Heath was going to have play the part.  I agree, I can't picture anyone else in the role.

Given her success with Juno, and his with Brokeback Mountain and The Dark Knight (yet to come, but still), it would have lent great credibility to a story most people have never heard of.  At least Page is still possible.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2008, 10:52:14 am »
I have downloaded the two interviews with Walter Tevis and turned them into MP3 files. If anyone would like a copy, send me a PM with your email address and I'll get them right out to you!

I am going to listen to them tomorrow on my way to/from work.

L