Author Topic: Oscar Chat 2008?  (Read 54718 times)

Offline smellykellyjay

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
Re: Oscar Chat 2008?
« Reply #110 on: February 26, 2008, 12:54:03 am »
Re:  Jennifer Hudson  She'll be hard pressed for parts for the rest of her career because as someone said to me (not too kindly, but it is true)...she's black and she's fat. And those roles are not a dime a dozen, unfortunately.

I agree.  It ain't easy out there for black actresses in general.  I had the TV on PBS the other night and caught the tail end of a ballroom dancing competition as I was piddling around.  The hostess's voice and delivery caught my ear.  She was so infomercial, for lack of a better word.  Turns out it was Jasmine Guy. 

Jennifer Hudson'll have to work hard and be lucky to find a part as good as what she had in "Dreamgirls."  But I think she can have a good career.  Looks like she's doing alright.  According to the IMBd, she's got four movies in the can: 

The Family That Preys Together (2008) (pre-production) (A Tyler Perry film)
The Secret Life of Bees (2009) (post-production) .... Rosalene Daise (With Dakota Fanning, Queen Latifah, and Alicia Keys)
Sex and the City: The Movie (2008) (post-production) .... Carrie's Assistant (She'll have to really bring it to compete with the four leads, but I know I'll be going to see this one.)
Winged Creatures (2008) (post-production) .... Kathy Archenault (Again, with Dakota Fanning. . . do they have the same agent or something? . . . Kate Beckinsale, Forest Whitaker, Jackie Earle Haley, and Guy Pearce)

Not too shabby.  At least she ain't playing Willona or doing a "Soul Plane" sequel. 
I been one poor correspondent, and I been too, too hard to find, but it doesn't mean you ain't been on my mind.  -- America

Offline smellykellyjay

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #111 on: February 26, 2008, 12:56:28 am »
The Walking Tall dude?  Really??

Bo Svenson was there!?!?  Or was it Joe Don Baker?  Did he bring his bat?  He coulda used it on Gary Busey. 
I been one poor correspondent, and I been too, too hard to find, but it doesn't mean you ain't been on my mind.  -- America

Offline smellykellyjay

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #112 on: February 26, 2008, 01:02:32 am »
Which Ennis pic/scene was it?  I'm not watching the Oscars tonight, but I'm curious about this part of course.

Check it out for yourself here. . . 

[youtube=425,350]http://youtube.com/watch?v=m3YN-MmPTu8[/youtube]

Offline smellykellyjay

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #113 on: February 26, 2008, 01:14:45 am »
3. Ryan Seacrest is beyond annoying.

No argument there.  But the WORST is Billy Bush.  Insipid.  He's pretty but not so pretty that I can stand him for any length of time. 

4. Leave my Kristen Chenoweth alone, if you know what's good for you! >:( :)

She's too much.  One of my sisters ADORES her.  I'm sorry I didn't get to see her in "Wicked."  I've got her version of "Popular," and it's incredible.  There's nothing that can stop you from becoming popu-ler. LAR!  I read an article about her a couple of years back, and she admitted to Bedazzling everything.  Bless her heart! 

Have you seen her do "Hopelessly Devoted to You" on "Pushing Daisies"? 

Offline smellykellyjay

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #114 on: February 26, 2008, 01:25:26 am »
I quit wearing black velvet ever, when I went to a Xmas party once and saw every woman there in the same fabric.

I've always wanted a black velvet jacket to wear with a white turtleneck.  And I want an angora sweater too (Hand to God.). 

Otherwise, black velvet is best used as a canvas for paintings.  I gave my dad a portrait of John Wayne on black velvet (The Duke won an Oscar for "True Grit," and that cute little Glen Campbell was in it when he was cute. . . just to keep sorta, kinda on topic.).  I got it at a roadside sale.  I had to choose between that one and one of a little boy sitting on the toilet (I'm not kidding.).  Dad hung it up in his workshop.  I think it's hiding a hole in the wall.  And, swear to God, I once saw a Kenny Rogers black velvet painting.  I'm holding out for a Dogs Playing Poker on black velvet, but them is hard to come by. 

Offline smellykellyjay

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #115 on: February 26, 2008, 01:34:41 am »
I like Kristen and think she has a beautiful voice (I am probably one of three people in the world who own the DVD of The Music Man with her and Matthew Broderick). . . 

Ooh, yeah.  She does a good "Goodnight, My Someone."  I love that song.  One time, when my sister who loves Kristen came to visit me, I took her to tea at the Plaza.  A strolling violinist came to our table and asked if we had a request.  Both of us went braindead.  The only song I could come up with was "Bugaboo" by Destiny's Child.  But then I came up with "Goodnight, My Someone."  The violinist began playing "76 Trombones," and I was, like, that's not what I asked for. . . you know, on the inside.  Then he segued into "Goodnight, My Someone," and I was, like, well it's about time!  And I was happy.  It was lovely.  Later I discovered that those two are basically the same song.  I was so embarrassed behind that!  And the Plaza had the best scones!  But I didn't see Eloise. 

Offline smellykellyjay

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #116 on: February 26, 2008, 01:51:57 am »
The Academy really needs to change their rules about songs, also foreign films.  Too many good songs/films get excluded. 

I'm being contrary on this thread, but I can understand their rules about songs (Foreign films is a horse of another color.).  They're trying to prevent songs that were barely featured in a film from being nominated.  I mean, what if the song that was playing when Alma, Jr. drove up in Kurt's car at the end of BbM got nominated?  That's what they're working to prevent.  I think the popularity of pre-exisiting songs in movies (ala "The Big Chill" or, say, a stage musical turned film like "Chicago" where the songs aren't original) plays a part in the scarcity and lack of quality in the nominated songs too. 

Just imagine Emmylou Harris or Teddy Thompson singing up there two years ago.

That's what I was really looking forward to.  "Love That Will Never Grow Old" won a Golden Globe, but that's kinda like winning Most Popular, while an Oscar is more like getting a scholarship.  I guess we could consider Gustavo Santaolalla's Oscar for Best Original Score to be a nod for the songs in BbM as well, since he wrote a lot of 'em. 

So much better than that nasty Dolly Parton thing or the Pimps on Parade song.

Make a deal with you.  I won't diss Kristin Chenoweth if you won't diss Dolly.  And I love "It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp."  It's so catchy, the CDC in Atlanta has a file on it.  You just know some people lost money in their Oscar pool the year that one won. 

Offline smellykellyjay

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #117 on: February 26, 2008, 02:58:32 am »
I think Suzanne Pleshette received the loudest applause from the attendees.

I just really like her.  Jack Valenti, Michaelangelo Antonioni, Deborah Kerr, Ingmar Bergman got big ovations as well. 

I just got home and turned it on like 5 minutes before the In Memorium thing. I agree, Heath should have had two scenes, but I liked how he was last (save the best for last, you know) and that there was that lovely swell in the music when it cut to him.

I think the music drowned out the ovation he got from the audience though. 

And yes, the picture of Heath was excellent, but he should have gotten two scenes from two movies like lots of the others did...

I'm surprised they didn't have Renfro.

It was chronological, it was fitting and poignant to have Heath last - I note that he was the youngest of this year's group.  The simplicity of the scene was lovely and will leave a lasting bittersweet memory.

I'm with Del here.  I liked what they did for him.  It was simple and classy.  I figure some people got two scenes to remind folks of who they were. 

And I also was expecting to see Brad Renfro.  Hilary Swank said, “Sadly, a few were taken from us much too soon with their best yet to come.”  Please point out where I may be wrong, but, with the exception of Heath, it looked to me like everybody in the segment was up there in years and at least semi-retired.  I guess a case could be made for anybody being taken too soon, but you get what I'm going for, right? 

Bob Clark didn't die of anything old-age related, but he was 68.  Shoot, Kitty Carlisle was 97, and Jane “Angela Channing” Wyman was 90.  Just saying that Heath seemed to be the few Hilary spoke of. 

A couple of random thoughts on the segment here: 

I thought Peter Zinner was Peter Boyle. 

Burt Lancaster was HOT!  (He was shown with Deborah Kerr in the famous “From Here to Eternity” beach scene.)  Anybody seen him in "The Swimmer"?  It's a good movie, and not just because he spent most of the movie in tight little swim trunks.  He was in his mid 50s when he made that one, and he was fine.  I hope I look as good as he did when I'm in my 50s.  Shoot, I ain't never looked that good. 

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #118 on: February 26, 2008, 03:13:59 am »

Burt Lancaster was a former athlete.  He was a trapeze artist.  He performed in the circus. 
he made "The Greatest Show on Earth"  as a trapeze artist and did his own work.

Beautiful mind

Offline smellykellyjay

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #119 on: February 26, 2008, 03:31:38 am »
Burt Lancaster was a former athlete.  He was a trapeze artist.  He performed in the circus. 
he made "The Greatest Show on Earth"  as a trapeze artist and did his own work.

Ooh, thanks!  With this information, you're making me think really naughty thoughts.  I think I'm gonna have to sign off now and go take care of something.