Author Topic: Oscar Chat 2008?  (Read 54657 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: Oscar Chat 2008?
« Reply #120 on: February 26, 2008, 09:04:53 am »
I agree.  It ain't easy out there for black actresses in general.  I had the TV on PBS the other night and caught the tail end of a ballroom dancing competition as I was piddling around.  The hostess's voice and delivery caught my ear.  She was so infomercial, for lack of a better word.  Turns out it was Jasmine Guy. 

Jennifer Hudson'll have to work hard and be lucky to find a part as good as what she had in "Dreamgirls."  But I think she can have a good career.  Looks like she's doing alright.  According to the IMBd, she's got four movies in the can: 

The Family That Preys Together (2008) (pre-production) (A Tyler Perry film)
The Secret Life of Bees (2009) (post-production) .... Rosalene Daise (With Dakota Fanning, Queen Latifah, and Alicia Keys)
Sex and the City: The Movie (2008) (post-production) .... Carrie's Assistant (She'll have to really bring it to compete with the four leads, but I know I'll be going to see this one.)
Winged Creatures (2008) (post-production) .... Kathy Archenault (Again, with Dakota Fanning. . . do they have the same agent or something? . . . Kate Beckinsale, Forest Whitaker, Jackie Earle Haley, and Guy Pearce)

Not too shabby.  At least she ain't playing Willona or doing a "Soul Plane" sequel. 

Not yet, anyway.  Roles are extremely limited for women such as herself.  Queen Latifah has almost all those roles available sewn up.

It is a good lineup, but if you put Janeane Garofalo's filmography up there, it will also look like she works a lot, but if you ask her fans, she doesn't work hardly enough.

I really hate hearing the fashion designers talk about Jennifer, though.  Some are supportive of her, no matter what, but others try really hard to say - in a nice way - she should be wearing a mu-mu because she's fat.  Peter what's his name on last night's Fashion Police said, in what I guess he thought was a compliment, "That's as good as she's going to get."  ::)

As for black velvet, women have a little more latitude in fashion wear.  ;)

Offline j.U.d.E.

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #121 on: February 26, 2008, 11:39:04 am »
On WIKIPEDIA - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80th_Academy_Awards

=========================

In Memoriam

The annual "In Memoriam" tribute was presented by Oscar-winning actress Hilary Swank. The list included those who died between February 1, 2007 and January 31, 2008.

The tribute included Roscoe Lee Brown, Barry Nelson, Kitty Carlisle Hart, Betty Hutton, Calvin Lockhart, Jane Wyman, screenwriter Melville Shavelson, director Curtis Harrington, Jack Valenti, choreographer Michael Kidd, director Michelangelo Antonioni, director Delbert Mann, make-up artist Monty Westmore, soundman Peter T. Hanford, stuntman Bud Ekins, screenwriter Bernard Gordon, Dabbs Greer, Jean-Claude Brialy, art director Harold Michelson, Laraine Day, Jean-Pierre Cassel, Lois Maxwell, cinematographer Laszlo Kovacs, director Robert Clark, art director George Jenkins, Johnny Grant, studio executive Frank E. Rosenfelt, producer Martin Manulis, costume designer Donfeld, director Sembene Ousmane, agent Freddy Fields, agent Robert Lantz, executive Ray Kurtzman, Miyoshi Umeki, Suzanne Pleshette, Deborah Kerr, visual effects artist Peter Ellenshaw, film editor Peter Zinner, cinematographer Freddie Francis, director Ingmar Bergman, composer and songwriter Ray Evans, make-up artist William Tuttle, and actor Heath Ledger.

Brad Renfro was not among those mourned, despite dying of a drug-related incident a week before Heath Ledger's death. Ulrich Mühe, the star of "The Lives of Others" wasn't mentioned, even though he died in 2007.

=========================

Basta*ds!! I'm happy to see that they included Jean-Claude Brialy though!  :-\

j. U. d. E.
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #122 on: February 26, 2008, 11:48:55 am »
On WIKIPEDIA - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80th_Academy_Awards

================================

Broadcasters

Some of the broadcasters showing the event live:

Australia - Nine Network (with a 12 hour delay)
Austria - ORF1
Argentina - TNT
Brazil - Rede Globo
Canada - CTV
Chile - Red Televisión
China - CCTV-6
Colombia - RCN TV
Croatia - HRT1
Czech Republic - HBO
Denmark - TV 2 Film
Finland - Nelonen
France - Canal+
Germany - Pro 7
Greece - Filmnet
Hong Kong - TVB Pearl
India - STAR Movies
Ireland - RTE
Italy - Sky Italia
Japan - WOWOW
Malaysia - ntv7, Star Movies
Middle East - Dubai One
Mexico - Channel 7 TV Azteca & TNT
The Netherlands - Film 1
New Zealand - SKY Movies & SKY Movies 2
Panama - RPC Channel 4
Peru - Frecuencia Latina
Philippines - live on ABS-CBN, rebroadcasted for primetime on Studio 23 (a UHF station owned by ABS-CBN), Velvet Channel 53
Poland - Canal+
Portugal - TVI
Puerto Rico - WAPA Channel 4
Russia - Channel One
Serbia - RTS 1
Singapore - MediaCorp TV Channel 5
Slovenia - Kanal A
South Africa - Dstv
South Korea - OCN
Spain - Canal+
Sweden - Kanal 9
Taiwan - STAR Movies
Trinidad and Tobago - CCN TV6
Turkey - NTV
United Kingdom - Sky Movies
Uruguay - Canal 4 Montecarlo Televisión
USA - ABC
Venezuela - Venevisión

================================

They are forgetting Belgium! I know, 'cause it was in the middle of the night when I was watching (at least the beginning - the rest I taped) and I was checking www.IMDb.com updating the winners one at the time, after the winner was announced! It was broadcasted on PRIME (digital).

Oh well.. It's a small insignificant country.. BUT, funnily enough Belgium is mentioned in the weirdest of moments. Such as when Steve Carrell and Anne Hathaway (smiled a lot... too much IMHO!) presented the award of Best Animated Feature . They were funny though with Steve being terrified that his 'mistake' was even seen in Belgium...

Why Belgium:D

For years now I wanted to start a list about Belgium being mentioned (on TV, cinema, etc.) for no reason, really.. Never started the list though..

j. U. d. E.
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
« Reply #123 on: February 26, 2008, 01:30:29 pm »

For years now I wanted to start a list about Belgium being mentioned (on TV, cinema, etc.) for no reason, really.. Never started the list though..

j. U. d. E.

I'll start:  In 1969, Suzanne Pleshette starred in If It's Tuesday, This Must Be Belgium.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #124 on: February 26, 2008, 01:38:34 pm »
She's too much.  One of my sisters ADORES her.  I'm sorry I didn't get to see her in "Wicked."  I've got her version of "Popular," and it's incredible.  There's nothing that can stop you from becoming popu-ler. LAR!  I read an article about her a couple of years back, and she admitted to Bedazzling everything.  Bless her heart! 

Have you seen her do "Hopelessly Devoted to You" on "Pushing Daisies"? 

No, but she blows away  Carnegie Hall when she did this little number, "Glitter and Be Gay" from "Candide". (I think this video is from Lincoln Center.)

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feh-qea54GE[/youtube]

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #125 on: February 26, 2008, 01:45:00 pm »
I'll start:  In 1969, Suzanne Pleshette starred in If It's Tuesday, This Must Be Belgium.

:laugh:

Very appropriate!
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #126 on: February 26, 2008, 02:46:49 pm »
I never associated Belgium with bikini clad women before.   :P  Are there cute young guys running around without much on also?

Yes, I think that is in the part of the movie when it is Wednesday, and they are in Rome.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #127 on: February 26, 2008, 03:34:54 pm »
I never associated Belgium with bikini clad women before.   :P  Are there cute young guys running around without much on also?

Sure, here are a couple of nice footballers for you.  ;)

http://www.humo.be/cps/rde/xchg/humo/hs.xsl/DezeWeek_index_Gouden-Stud-Patrick-Nijs-Johan-Gerets-Stijn-Vreven-Paul-Kpaka.html

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #128 on: February 26, 2008, 03:39:26 pm »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #129 on: February 26, 2008, 03:50:06 pm »
I'll take Johan. You guys can fight over the others...LOL

:laugh:

You picked the right one Leslie. He was voted 'stud of the year'  :P