Author Topic: Oscar Chat 2008?  (Read 54654 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: Oscar Chat 2008?
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2008, 12:42:21 am »

Ye gods, Helen Mirren was gorgeous.

Offline BelAir

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2008, 12:47:25 am »
well, it is my bedtime.
thanks for hanging out guys.
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline oilgun

« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2008, 12:47:47 am »
NO COUNTRY hat trick.  Like I said before, I've never won an Oscar pool, lol!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2008, 12:49:57 am »
NO COUNTRY hat trick.  Like I said before, I've never won an Oscar pool, lol!

Me neither and this year was no exception! LOL

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2008, 12:50:12 am »
NO COUNTRY hat trick.  Like I said before, I've never won an Oscar pool, lol!

LOL. Who did you bet on?
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline oilgun

« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2008, 12:50:43 am »
Ye gods, Helen Mirren was gorgeous.

On the red carpet, she said, in reference to her dress, that it was inspired by the role she is working on now, "a madam in a whorehouse", lol!

Goodnight all!

Offline oilgun

« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2008, 12:52:05 am »
LOL. Who did you bet on?

I thought THERE WILL B BLOOD and NO COUNTRY would split the vote and ATONEMENT would end up getting it.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2008, 12:52:22 am »
Night everyone! This has been fun...

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2008, 02:39:47 am »
I'm coming to this so late because I apparently can't multitask as well as you guys and watch and comment online at the same time. So while I'd like to say something in response to just about every comment everybody here made, I'll limit myself to these:

1. Am I the only member of the Brokies for Jon Stewart Fan Club? I thought he was fabulous. My favorite line was the thing about how during the commercials, they all discuss the tacky clothes that viewers at home are wearing. I also loved his remark after the incredibly down-to-earth and humble "Once" guy accepted his award: "Can you believe how arrogant that guy is?" But just about everything Jon Stewart said was funny.

2. Marion Cotillard was not my predicted BA winner, but she was very good as Edith Piaf and really charming at the ceremony. She looks like Emily Blunt's sister. And Amy Adams looks like Isla Fischer's sister. They should play two sets of sisters in some movie sometime! (Apologies for whatever name misspellings I committed above.)

3. Javier Bardem was not the BSA I was rooting for, but he was so charming in his speech -- his humor, his mother, his hotness -- that I got over it. Ditto Tilda Swinton! She was great. And DDL, whom I was rooting for because I knew my time would be wasted rooting for anyone else, was also charming.

4. I was hoping for a little more in the tribute to Heath, but I knew it would be politically dicey to make a bigger deal of Heath than Ingmar Bergman. But I do think they changed the dates of the death range to accomodate Heath. Normally, wouldn't it be the calendar year 2007? Instead, they went from Jan. 31, 2006 to Feb. 1, 2007. I think Heath is why.

5. Clotheswise, I didn't see anyone who I thought looked fantastic, but I didn't see anyone hideous, either. Lots of pretty ordinary dresses, especially all the black ones (for Heath? for Iraq? for the writers?), and none that stood out as being Halle-Berryishly lovely. Squished boobs were in great supply. Why is it that Nicole Kidman always looks so beautiful as her characters and so so-so in real life, at least at these red-carpet events? That seems the reverse of most actresses!

6. My stripper name is Twinkle Thrushwood. It's almost like I chose my first pet's name and my parents chose their street with an eye toward my future stripper career, isn't it?

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2008, 02:53:45 am »
1. Am I the only member of the Brokies for Jon Stewart Fan Club? I thought he was fabulous. My favorite line was the thing about how during the commercials, they all discuss the tacky clothes that viewers at home are wearing. I also loved his remark after the incredibly down-to-earth and humble "Once" guy accepted his award: "Can you believe how arrogant that guy is?" But just about everything Jon Stewart said was funny.

Well, I only saw like the last half-hour, but I love Jon Stewart. I can't really comment on how he did tonight as host, but I pretty much think he's always funny.