Author Topic: Oscar Chat 2008?  (Read 54652 times)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
Re: Oscar Chat 2008?
« Reply #90 on: February 25, 2008, 06:26:58 pm »
Though the part where Jon Stewart called the Once singer back onstage to say her thank-you's after being cut off by the orchestra was, IMO, the most touching moment of the show. I don't know if it was Jon Stewart's doing or someone else's, but it was very thoughtful and something that, in a lot of years, wouldn't have been done.

So true, Twinkle Katherine.  Very classy.  That's what I mean:  if the presenters keep their part brief, there's more time for the winners to say something interesting.

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #91 on: February 25, 2008, 06:30:28 pm »
I haven't even seen Enchanted, but I suspect the songs sound more stupid out of context.  At least Kristen's song was cute:  kind of white calypso.

Paul, here's "Happy Working Song" in context.  Hope you like rodents.  LOL

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KObgs81QyR4[/youtube]
Time 3:37

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #92 on: February 25, 2008, 06:35:18 pm »
So true, Twinkle Katherine. 

I can see I'm going to live to regret posting on here after drinking prosecco.  ::)

Here's another item of interest. Writers on Slate observed that No Country for Old Men producer Scott Rudin thanked his (male) partner, but there was no shot of the partner.

(Kim Masters) We wondered how come they always show the teary wives but no quick reaction shot when Rudin thanked his honey. What's up with that, liberal Hollywood?

... (Dana Stevens) Viewers were so burned out by the time Scott Rudin finally gave his acceptance speech for best picture that you had to TiVo back to notice what Kim points out—that his shout-out to his life partner, John Barlow, was unaccompanied by a cutaway shot to Barlow's face. Defamer even notes that Rudin's mention of his "honey" was absent from the official press transcript and wonders whether the academy was guilty of "pinkwashing." It seems likelier that the transcriber, like me, was just too worn down by four hours of clip montages to get it all. But the producers' failure to allow Barlow his moment to kvell onscreen was less forgivable (if only because he may be the only person in Hollywood who likes Scott Rudin). When Melissa Etheridge won for best song last year, she gave her wife, Tammy Lynn Michaels, an on-camera kiss, but they're women, and attractive blondes to boot. I guess being publicly gay at the Oscars is still no country for old men. But maybe next year.

http://www.slate.com/id/2184888/entry/2185092/

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #93 on: February 25, 2008, 06:35:49 pm »

Though the part where Jon Stewart called the Once singer back onstage to say her thank-you's after being cut off by the orchestra was, IMO, the most touching moment of the show. I don't know if it was Jon Stewart's doing or someone else's, but it was very thoughtful and something that, in a lot of years, wouldn't have been done.

I am glad they did too because you could see it was a series of flub-ups--no one person's fault--that left her (what is her name? Ingreta?) looking confused and bewildered. I am glad she had a chance to come back and have her moment to say thank you.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #94 on: February 25, 2008, 06:37:55 pm »
Paul, here's "Happy Working Song" in context.  Hope you like rodents.  LOL

Hey, it worked for Ratatouille!  It's a little like "Whistle While You Work", but with cockroaches instead of dwarves.

Thanks for that, Fran.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #95 on: February 25, 2008, 06:39:49 pm »
I can see I'm going to live to regret posting on here after drinking prosecco.  ::)

Here's another item of interest. Writers on Slate observed that No Country for Old Men producer Scott Rudin thanked his (male) partner, but there was no shot of the partner.

Thanks for posting that, Katherine. I noticed the lack of commentary today, but was pleased when I heard his thanks last night. Of course, the "without you honey, it would be just hardware" was said as he looked over his shoulder while being hustled off stage.

Lots of hustling going on last night....LOL

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #96 on: February 25, 2008, 06:52:46 pm »
Was anyone bothered by Jon Stewart's comment -- I think -- in reference to the Once singers?  He made some comment about how much fun they were having backstage after their win, adding, "He said, 'Let's have our Oscars kiss,' and she said, 'But they're men.'"

(Or maybe it was "guys" instead of "men.")

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #97 on: February 25, 2008, 06:54:13 pm »
I found this little tidbit on dlisted:

Last night, during the Oscars "In Memoriam" section, I noticed that Brad Renfro was missing from the montage. You guys noticed it too, because I got the e-mails. I figured that maybe he wasn't a member of the Academy or something? They included 98 movie actors, directors, executives, agents, designers, but didn't include Brad.

The Academy issued this statement to TMZ,"It is simply not possible to include everyone in that segment." It would have taken one second. Literally. They should have just said they only include Academy members in the segment.

A friend of mine also noticed they skipped Roy Scheider, but that's because Roy died after January 31st.

And where was Sam the Butcher?! Damn the Academy!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #98 on: February 25, 2008, 06:57:34 pm »
I just heard this on the news: viewership of the Oscars was down 14% from last year and has beaten out 2003 as the least-watched Oscars, ever.

L

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #99 on: February 25, 2008, 07:00:16 pm »
Was anyone bothered by Jon Stewart's comment -- I think -- in reference to the Once singers.  He made some comment about how much fun they were having backstage after their win, adding, "He said, 'Let's have our Oscars kiss,' and she said, 'But they're men.'"

(Or maybe it was "guys" instead of "men.")

It was a weird, awkward joke that didn't come out right. Jon made a comment that the woman (Irvlova?) wanted to have the two Oscar statues kiss and the man (Glenn?) said, "But they're both men" and then someone said (not sure who), "Oh, that doesn't matter, this is Hollywood." Or something like that.

Overall, it just fell flat imho.

L