Author Topic: Tales of Greenlea County - Discussion of All Stories (UPDATE)  (Read 91027 times)

Offline messej

• Don't Say Much
    • LJ
Re: Tales of Greenlea County - Discussion of All Stories
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2008, 08:29:53 pm »
Wahhh, looks like I'll have to wait for tomorrow for more Long Way Home  :'(  Stupid time zones. Anyway, I was thinking about Dupree and I realized I picture him as bulkier, more manly version of that dude on Gossip Girl, the one who's annoyingly moralistic - Dan? Played by an actor named... Penn. Yup, he's got Dupree's face, for me.

Lessee if I can find some pictures...

Uh... nice scarf there, dude. Pretty guys on that show, I should watch.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2008, 11:38:19 pm »
thanks for finding the corrections I needed, Messej - by the way do you have a real name you want to be known by?

I usually do my updates between 5 p.m. and 8 p.m. Pacific time, which is way too late for Europe.  But it always means the Europeans have something to wake up to!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2008, 02:18:08 pm »
Hey, messej - here's a thread you might want to check out:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,3719.0.html

It's a photo gallery thread from the original story - I think a lot of the photos might be gone, but there are still some great pics and other interesting tidbits.

Enjoy!

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline messej

• Don't Say Much
    • LJ
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2008, 04:49:02 pm »
You're welcome, Louise! Erm, well some call me Jess, some Mess, some Jess the Mess, it doesn't really matter :)

Thanks for the link, Marie, but yeah, most of the photos are gone - plenty of Ellery and Ellery's socks, though! I wonder, do people still pretty much picture Colson as Heath Ledger? I sorta do, in a blue-eyed, more muscular way. And yes, Ellery as a gray-eyed, skinnier Hugh Jackman definitely works for me. So... pretty...

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2008, 05:23:32 pm »
part of the reason a number of the pics were removed is because the C&D letter I received specifically mentioned an association between the fanart depictions of Heath Ledger, and my first versions of the story.  The primary fan artist who created the "Ennis and Ellery" fanart pulled the pics off, largely as a service to me to be sure no further trouble ensued.  I also made some changes in Colson's physical description that would diverge from any identification with Heath, i.e. height, eye color and musculature.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2008, 06:39:45 pm »
You're welcome, Louise! Erm, well some call me Jess, some Mess, some Jess the Mess, it doesn't really matter :)

Thanks for the link, Marie, but yeah, most of the photos are gone - plenty of Ellery and Ellery's socks, though! I wonder, do people still pretty much picture Colson as Heath Ledger? I sorta do, in a blue-eyed, more muscular way. And yes, Ellery as a gray-eyed, skinnier Hugh Jackman definitely works for me. So... pretty...

It is hard to make a mental shift from that image.... ;)  But duly noted Louise, for the reasons you described.
Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2008, 06:56:57 pm »
But that having been said...

One of the features of my story is to provide characterization through dialogue rather than lengthy description so this leaves far more to the imagination, i.e. Wayne bursting out with the enthusiastic comment "I bet yer thighs are hard as rock!" and Jim Allen describing Colson as "The Marlboro Man" by the way he walks across the bar.  I myself get impatient and bored by lengthy prose descriptions of appearances, and usually just sketch them in with the first introductory paragraph about a character, and the rest of the "image" gets filled in along the way by the dialogue and interactions between that character and others.  I think this allows readers to bring their own "image" to the story and make it more meaningful to them on a personal level.

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2008, 11:49:34 am »
But that having been said...

One of the features of my story is to provide characterization through dialogue rather than lengthy description so this leaves far more to the imagination, i.e. Wayne bursting out with the enthusiastic comment "I bet yer thighs are hard as rock!" and Jim Allen describing Colson as "The Marlboro Man" by the way he walks across the bar.  I myself get impatient and bored by lengthy prose descriptions of appearances, and usually just sketch them in with the first introductory paragraph about a character, and the rest of the "image" gets filled in along the way by the dialogue and interactions between that character and others.  I think this allows readers to bring their own "image" to the story and make it more meaningful to them on a personal level.

You're so right about that - I feel like I've watched a six-month long movie in my mind's eye from the balanced emotional context and visual descriptions, as equally powerful as watching BBM. I became easily attached to the gaggle of Laramie characters, with their likeable and unlikeable attributes. I find myself thinking about certain plot lines and wanting to know more about how things turn out for E & C, and the rest of the gang.
Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2008, 01:58:49 pm »
I just wanted to say, BBM-Cat, and those of you newly joining the discussion, that it has been a big shot in the arm to me to continue on with the editing of this mega-story because of the enthusiastic readership, comments and feedback I have gotten from you.  A writer does not write in a vacuum, and knowing that so many people enjoy and consume the story at marathon rates (the last couple of weeks I have seen individual users logging 80 to 100 pages on my hit counter, doing marathon reading of hours at a time) and that tells me there is something alluring that keeps people reading!

so thank you, those who read and comment, and those who just read!

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2008, 06:24:03 pm »
I just wanted to say, BBM-Cat, and those of you newly joining the discussion, that it has been a big shot in the arm to me to continue on with the editing of this mega-story because of the enthusiastic readership, comments and feedback I have gotten from you.  A writer does not write in a vacuum, and knowing that so many people enjoy and consume the story at marathon rates (the last couple of weeks I have seen individual users logging 80 to 100 pages on my hit counter, doing marathon reading of hours at a time) and that tells me there is something alluring that keeps people reading!

so thank you, those who read and comment, and those who just read!

Get ready for an IV-drip Louise!  ;D  Glad I'm not the only one who can't get enough of the Greenlea Tales...yes, very alluring and hate to put it down.