Author Topic: Tales of Greenlea County - Discussion of All Stories (UPDATE)  (Read 90992 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: Tales of Greenlea County - Discussion of All Stories
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2008, 07:02:37 pm »
Picturing Mr. Humphries mincing around The Red Stallion is priceless!  :laugh:

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2008, 08:43:13 pm »
I hope you folks liked the double-dose of 20 chapters I added today, and as always, thanks for catching those typos!!!

If I am inspired I will try to put up another chapter of 'The Grey Girls' tonight.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2008, 02:56:25 pm »
I hope you folks liked the double-dose of 20 chapters I added today....

Much appreciated, Louise - I can't believe we're already up to the famous poker game and hidden video camera chapters! 

And speaking of poker games, here's our Jeeves - who apparently doesn't have much of a poker face, at least not with Ellery!

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2008, 03:05:57 pm »

Marie

Gosh, he's good looking isn't he? I had a poster of the movie 'Another Country' in my room when I was a teenager. He looked just like that! 

Yummy  :)
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2008, 09:05:24 pm »
I'm in the process of re-reading TRS, and since we're in discussion mode, I'd like to know what readers thought about whether Bill lied about having AIDS. I thought this issue kind of got cleared up when Ellery spoke with Wayne in later chapters, but I wasn't sure. Sorry if its been discussed before.
Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2008, 09:15:24 pm »
don't worry about repeats, BBM-Cat!  It's what the new discussion thread is for - we haven't really gotten into any in depth discussion on plot points in these stories for quite some time now!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2008, 09:21:37 am »
Gosh, he's good looking isn't he? I had a poster of the movie 'Another Country' in my room when I was a teenager. He looked just like that! 

Yummy  :)

Yes, he sure is.  If I remember correctly, he was a successful model at one time (and I remember 'Another Country', too!)

I'm in the process of re-reading TRS, and since we're in discussion mode, I'd like to know what readers thought about whether Bill lied about having AIDS. I thought this issue kind of got cleared up when Ellery spoke with Wayne in later chapters, but I wasn't sure. Sorry if its been discussed before.

I think this is a great question! I guess I feel the way Ellery does - we don't really know for sure.  I certainly wouldn't put it past Bill to lie about it in order to gain Ellery's sympathy and to get him to visit him in prison....but I don't think we can totally rely on everything Wayne says either; for one thing, some of his assumptions are based on speculation and for another, he is ...Wayne :-\

Marie

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2008, 04:16:58 pm »
I think this is a great question! I guess I feel the way Ellery does - we don't really know for sure.  I certainly wouldn't put it past Bill to lie about it in order to gain Ellery's sympathy and to get him to visit him in prison....but I don't think we can totally rely on everything Wayne says either; for one thing, some of his assumptions are based on speculation and for another, he is ...Wayne :-\

Marie

True about Wayne's flighty character, and Bill's for that matter - I didn't know who to believe or if it was meant to stay ambiguous. Maybe you're right, it was a manipulative attempt by Bill to generate sympathy from Ellery. He knew it would create some anxiety in Ellery's mind given their sexual history together. Or, he was truly manipulating for a lighter sentence. Maybe Bill's revelation is more symbolic - he feels defeated and that he has nothing to live for. Or literally, he sabotaged his own health. The inconsistency I find in his revelation is if there was not a blood test available through the town clinic, then how would he know for sure?
Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2008, 05:53:22 pm »
This question shouldn't really be ambiguous.  Ellery has no concerns, since his relationship with Bill was over four years before, and that was not an issue for him.  However, Wayne's conversation with Ellery is pretty convincing - if Bill knew he had AIDS at the time he and Wayne had their post-Gene fling, there would have been no reason for Wayne to have been using protection - and he did. If Bill really DID have AIDS then a) Gene would have been at risk and b) Wayne would not have been using condoms.

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2008, 06:43:08 pm »
This question shouldn't really be ambiguous.  Ellery has no concerns, since his relationship with Bill was over four years before, and that was not an issue for him.  However, Wayne's conversation with Ellery is pretty convincing - if Bill knew he had AIDS at the time he and Wayne had their post-Gene fling, there would have been no reason for Wayne to have been using protection - and he did. If Bill really DID have AIDS then a) Gene would have been at risk and b) Wayne would not have been using condoms.

Ok, thanks for clearing that up for me.