Author Topic: Tales of Greenlea County - Discussion of All Stories (UPDATE)  (Read 91014 times)

Offline frantic65

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • "Tell me what you want, boy."
Re: Tales of Greenlea County - Discussion of All Stories
« Reply #100 on: March 24, 2008, 09:56:40 pm »
As well as the 'back to the beginning story' 'What I Did On my Day Off' told from Ellery's first person point of view.

This is my absolute favorite!! I've re-read that more than anything. I'm not sure why but I really fell in love with it! (it must be the Ellery POV, I guess.) It's sweet but very funny too.  **runs off to forage under the bed for dog-eared copy**

;)
You're the love of my life
And the breath in my prayers
Take my hand, lead me there

I can't forget the taste of your mouth
From your lips the heavens pour out
I can't forget when we are one
With you alone I am free

~~Santana~~Love of My Life

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #101 on: March 24, 2008, 09:59:13 pm »
Leslie and I reworked that story down to a manageable 5,000 words (the original I believe was 13,000 or so) so that we could submit it to magazines.  So far haven't gotten that published yet!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline frantic65

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • "Tell me what you want, boy."
« Reply #102 on: March 25, 2008, 01:10:49 am »
Leslie and I reworked that story down to a manageable 5,000 words (the original I believe was 13,000 or so) so that we could submit it to magazines.  So far haven't gotten that published yet!

Well-too bad for the publishing world-but I'm just glad I have my trusty copy of the original 13,000 words!! **hides it back under the bed where it will be safe**
You're the love of my life
And the breath in my prayers
Take my hand, lead me there

I can't forget the taste of your mouth
From your lips the heavens pour out
I can't forget when we are one
With you alone I am free

~~Santana~~Love of My Life

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #103 on: March 25, 2008, 03:01:51 am »
Well-too bad for the publishing world-but I'm just glad I have my trusty copy of the original 13,000 words!! **hides it back under the bed where it will be safe**

Oh me too! I'm so glad I have the original stories printed and safe in my nightstand. (where they gather less dust than under the bed!  :laugh:)

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #104 on: March 25, 2008, 06:46:01 am »

Actually, the original was close to 20,000 words and we worked it down to 10,000 -- a 50% cut.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #105 on: March 25, 2008, 11:02:05 am »
uh oh, shows you how good my memory works!  We edited that thing word by word it seems!  But you are all more than welcome to your original um 20,000 word copy!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #106 on: March 25, 2008, 11:26:11 pm »
And... I have finished 'A Small Circle of Friends'!    I seem to remember writing that story seemed to take forever!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #107 on: March 26, 2008, 03:17:28 pm »
And... I have finished 'A Small Circle of Friends'!    I seem to remember writing that story seemed to take forever!

Congrats on another great story, Louise!  Parts of "A Small Ciircle of Friends" were very intense and emotional - I can see how it would have been exhausting for you!  But what a perfect ending:

“Yep.” Ellery slipped his hand over Colson’s reassuring hand, this time, the left hand with its smooth gold band. “Now we ain’t in no hurry anymore.”

If memory serves, "Red Stallions for Christmas" should be coming up!  This time around, will we learn what the twins gave Colson and Ellery for Christmas?   Inquiring minds need to know!  :)

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #108 on: March 26, 2008, 04:11:52 pm »
I think so, I have to find out where "Home for the Holidays" and "The L Word" fits in chronologically before advancing to the next story, but it is definitely coming up.

I do remember something about a red bow...

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #109 on: March 29, 2008, 07:48:49 pm »
Okay, 'The 'L' Word' actually should come right at the same time as 'A Small Circle of Friends'

And here it is!

http://tcreader.livejournal.com/173361.html