Author Topic: Why We Need to Get Off the Planet  (Read 7627 times)

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
Re: Why We Need to Get Off the Planet
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2008, 07:52:45 pm »
ok, let's say one of these guys manages to make it to the moon for example....what government entity would he be answerable to...

in other words who 'owns' the moon?

great question, in the 15th century there was of course the Pope in Rome who arbitrarily divided the new world into spanish and portuguese spheres. in todays world, I suppose a international commission could establish protocols. I would prefer private individuals being able to go out and claim celestial bodies for their own use, but that is probably not realistic. "the man who sold the moon" tee hee hee !  ;D

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2008, 09:21:38 pm »
To me this is very good news. The Isle of Man has recently come under fire by the EU as being a tax haven. I was listening to the BBC a couple of days ago, and these commentators were going on and on about how evil wealthy Britons were in using Isle of Man tax dodges. Personally, I say right on to the entrepreneurs who are getting out of their tax burdens, these are the type of people who will help create tax havens in outer space!

money laundering on Tranquility Base? get that ATM fired up and ready!

:laugh:

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2008, 09:44:58 pm »
:)

I don't know much about the Isle of Man Except for its tie ins with the commercialization of space.  I am not sure why they are the ones moving on this, except that one of their legislators is married to an astronaut.  But seriously, they have set themselves up to to be leaders  in the space law arena.  In any case, there is one area in which I am not a liberal and that is taxes.  Wealthy folks have so much good they can do with their money if only they can hang on to enough of it.

Isle of Man is involved as they see it as a source of revenue in the future. Tax havens like the Caymans, Liechtenstein, and the I of M will help lead the way into creating off planet tax havens. I completely agree with your sentiment about the how wealth is the source of job creation and better incomes for all in a capitalist economy.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2008, 09:59:18 pm »
I was joking about the legislator and the astronaut.  Okay, maybe it's true, but it's not the reason for the involvement.  Yes, revenue, of course.

And it's not that the government doesn't need some tax dollars, but where in the heck is it all going??  Entrepreneurs are just more motivated and capable, and significant progress at more than a snail's pace will never happen if left in the hands of government (hands which are tied behind their backs - LOL).

Just my opinion, but the truly brilliant and effective people want nothing to do with running countries (although they may be exerting influence behind the scenes).  They are busy running corporations.

Bravo Susie! I could not have said it better!
 :)