Author Topic: user names  (Read 43466 times)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
Re: user names
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2008, 09:05:37 pm »
That's right, Del. In college, someone typed it into the computer with their fingers in the wrong place, so all of the correspondence I got from the school from then on spelled my name that way.

wierd!!!
(Crayon's name was latjoreme before)

See? I didn't know the red part. How fitting for a Brokie  :)
You were destined for Brokiedom all your life  ;).

I never thought of it like that!

:)
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2008, 09:16:49 pm »
RouxB (Ruby) is the name of my car. It is red and I wanted something that was non-gender specific (yes, I am kinda random) so Roux for red, add the B and voila-Rouxb. I'm thinking of changing it though...

and  O0 is me-brought with us from IMDb in case you every wondered why that particular smilie is in the line-up.

Heathen

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2008, 09:57:46 pm »
My nick comes from a figure from Greek mythology. Penthesilea was the queen of the Amazons, a tribe of female warriors.
I actually heard it in a British TV series (Cracker), where a character got nicknamed Penthesilea.
I liked the character in the series, I liked the mythological figure and the ring of the name, so it stuck with me.

THAT is interesting - I thought it was one name and of Greek origin - though were a few times my brain tried to divide it into 3 words 'pen the silea'. But I couldn't figure out what a 'silea' was, and knew that couldn't be right...glad you took time to explain it!  :D

Hey RouxB - your name is so COUXL!
Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2008, 10:22:37 pm »

My nick comes from a figure from Greek mythology. Penthesilea was the queen of the Amazons, a tribe of female warriors.
I actually heard it in a British TV series (Cracker), where a character got nicknamed Penthesilea.
I liked the character in the series, I liked the mythological figure and the ring of the name, so it stuck with me.

How is it pronounced? Every time I see your name, in my mind I pronounce it "Pen-the-SEE-lee-ah. Am I pronouncing it correctly Chrissi?

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2008, 01:12:31 am »
It's so funny that we've known each other, in some cases, for literally years, and we're just now figuring out how to pronounce each others' names and why we have them and what they mean.  :laugh:

Good goin, forsythia!

Offline forsythia12

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2008, 01:15:57 am »
It's so funny that we've known each other, in some cases, for literally years, and we're just now figuring out how to pronounce each others' names and why we have them and what they mean.  :laugh:

Good goin, forsythia!

glad to be of service to y'all! ;D

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2008, 06:40:31 am »
How is it pronounced? Every time I see your name, in my mind I pronounce it "Pen-the-SEE-lee-ah. Am I pronouncing it correctly Chrissi?

Tell you what: I don't know myself for sure  :laugh:.
I could tell you how to pronounce it in German for certain, but in English, I'm not sure.

Leslie and I had a good laugh about this last year. I asked her how to pronounce it in English and she said she had wanted to ask me the same  :laugh:.
We both thought to pronounce it in English the same way you did: Pen-the-SEE-le-ah. So I'd say you got it right  :).

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2008, 12:40:38 pm »
Uh oh.  I've been mentally pronouncing it Penth-uh-sih-LAY-uh.  :P

That's okay.  I'll just call you Chrissi.  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2008, 01:51:14 pm »

Hey, that's pretty much how it is pronounced in German, even the stress is on the correct syllable.  :) So keep pronouncing it mentally this way.

That's okay.  I'll just call you Chrissi.  ;D

That's the easiest!  :D

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2008, 02:38:26 pm »

Me too! At first, I thought it was Pen-thi-SIH-lia. But lately, I've thought of it as Penth (or even Pent)-ih-suh-LAY-uh.