Author Topic: New Greenlea Tale: The Grey Girls  (Read 173678 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: New Greenlea Tale: The Grey Girls
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2008, 07:18:32 pm »
that is Wayne  - he should have a t-shirt that says 'Wearing the Patience of Saints'

LOL!  And knowing Wayne, he'd wear it proudly!

... So much tension and desperation.

You can say that again.  That was difficult to read.  And these lines -

Laura took a tentative step, fear visible in her eyes.
“You ain’t gonna arrest me?”

- made me very sad for Laura.  She's not only jealous of Ellery, she's intimidated by his power and authority, too.  As irrational as her behavior may be, she honestly feels that everyone and everything is conspiring against her.  And now she is sitting in her truck, late at night, hours from home, after having embarrassed herself in front of her ex-husband and his man. 

Oh my, Louise.  You do know how to end a chapter. 

Thanks,
Marie

The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2008, 07:22:36 pm »
Louise and I (and a few others) watched BBM again in a simulcast yesterday. It was the first time I had seen the movie all the way through in a long time. I was struck again how bad I feel for Alma. She doesn't understand what is going on and has no context for understanding. Laura is very much in the same situation. It is so hard and sad for them.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2008, 08:44:24 pm »
I am going to heat myself up some Chinese leftovers and then maybe be able to dive back into the difficult and complex situation of 'Women who Marry Gay Men'
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2008, 09:56:23 pm »
and here we are with chapter 4:

http://louisev.livejournal.com/257537.html
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2008, 02:37:41 am »
and here we are with chapter 4:

http://louisev.livejournal.com/257537.html

:'(  :'(  :'(

You're doing an excellent job Louise, painful as it may be. No way out but through, right?  God, I'd like to give Laura a hug right now *sigh* Colson should get himself a big dose of empathy, he could use it.

“You were sneakin around on me, Colson! It wasn’t like I was dreamin it. With that man!”

“That’s the only way a man can do it when he’s queer. It ain’t somethin ya can do in the open.”

Well, Colson, you're right about that, but that's not what Laura wants to hear.  :-\ Colson will need to deal with the guilt he's still feeling over how he treated Laura (and to some extent) his girls. Because he is feeling guilty of course although he's trying to conceal it by by being mad at her.

Poor Laura. Her panic is palpalbe, her life is falling apart, again... And all she did was love a man.  :(

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2008, 08:59:49 am »
...... and has no context for understanding.

That is such a key observation. 

... Colson should get himself a big dose of empathy, he could use it.

Amen, Fabienne.

Because he is feeling guilty of course although he's trying to conceal it by by being mad at her.

Exactly.

“Not... not really, no,” he sighed.

She may have known it all along, but actually having it confirmed in words, out loud ....  Devastating.  There's no other word.  It brought tears to my eyes. 

Thanks for keeping it real, Louise - no matter how painful.

Marie

The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2008, 01:14:59 pm »
SPOILER!

whew! I am glad that you readers seem to know what I am trying to do - to portray the rest of Colson's family's lives.  While it may be immensely convenient for his ex wife, who did divorce him a decade ago, to be far away, out of sight and out of mind, the pain they all endured is still there lurking, and will emerge during moments of crisis and transition in the lives of their children.

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2008, 01:45:24 pm »
One thing I,m finding hard to understand Louise is Lauras reaction to this. This is her daughter who has been raped. And not only does she not seem to give a damn, she seems to think her daughter is just some cheap slut who asked for it!! If, God forbid, that were MY daughter, no force on earth could stop me from going after the guy who did it and cutting his balls of with a rusty chainsaw!! >:( >:( >:( What is her problem? Another thing is Pams reaction. She seems to be very calm at the moment. Now bear in mind I know nothing, thankfully about rape or effects of rape, only what I read. Is she going to remain so calm, or is it suddenly going to hit her like a ton of bricks and cause her to break down completly?
Lauras reaction disgusts me to be quite honest, I could slap her. I can understand her attitude over Colson, fair enough, but her daughter? She needs her mother, and right now Laura is being a heartless bitch, IMO.  >:( >:(

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2008, 01:53:17 pm »
SPOILER!

whew! I am glad that you readers seem to know what I am trying to do - to portray the rest of Colson's family's lives.  While it may be immensely convenient for his ex wife, who did divorce him a decade ago, to be far away, out of sight and out of mind, the pain they all endured is still there lurking, and will emerge during moments of crisis and transition in the lives of their children.

I can only applaud your writing Louise. It's heartfelt, painful, but extremely well done. You write 'emotional turmoil' very well, but we knew that already.

Thanks  :)
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2008, 02:23:45 pm »
One thing I,m finding hard to understand Louise is Lauras reaction to this. This is her daughter who has been raped. And not only does she not seem to give a damn, she seems to think her daughter is just some cheap slut who asked for it!! If, God forbid, that were MY daughter, no force on earth could stop me from going after the guy who did it and cutting his balls of with a rusty chainsaw!! >:( >:( >:( What is her problem? Another thing is Pams reaction. She seems to be very calm at the moment. Now bear in mind I know nothing, thankfully about rape or effects of rape, only what I read. Is she going to remain so calm, or is it suddenly going to hit her like a ton of bricks and cause her to break down completly?
Lauras reaction disgusts me to be quite honest, I could slap her. I can understand her attitude over Colson, fair enough, but her daughter? She needs her mother, and right now Laura is being a heartless bitch, IMO.  >:( >:(

The way I am going about this is to show that Laura has become bitter in several areas, and is clearly unhappy with her present marriage, and this is affecting how she treats Colson and also their daughters - her reaction to Pam's rape is one of utter denial.  And this is a reaction many mothers can have - more frequently when it is incestuous abuse by a father or stepfather, but also when it is a stranger.

And Pam is a little too calm at the moment - her need to leave Prescott seems to have caused a momentary relief, but that is not the whole story.  If I made it simple there would be nothing left to write about, Souxi!