Author Topic: New Greenlea Tale: The Grey Girls  (Read 173666 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: New Greenlea Tale: The Grey Girls
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2008, 10:53:51 pm »
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2008, 12:41:13 am »
SPOILERS

Oh, Lord.  I did not see that coming.  I could've sworn that Colson and Edna made a big point to the girls at the ceremony that they were not to tell their mother! 

Well, now I'm going to repeat myself, Louise - you're not predictable that's for sure!  And yes, that's a compliment!  :laugh:

Now what ........?

Thanks!
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2008, 12:47:02 am »
SPOILER

Yes, and Edna was doing SO WELL up till that point!  I guess she isn't going to be running for president after all!

As far as what's next... I guess I'll just have to SLEEP ON IT.  It feels good to be writing something that feels completely, entirely NEW.   Truth to tell I was getting a bit weary of what was going to happen next with ol' Amos Marigold!  Onward with the new generation!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2008, 12:01:56 pm »
SPOILER

Yes, and Edna was doing SO WELL up till that point!  I guess she isn't going to be running for president after all!

Ha Ha!  I thought of that, too.  But I'm hoping Edna makes a comeback - most candidates stick their foot in their mouth sooner or later.....let's see how Edna comes out of this one!

But, seriously, it's so great that you're always careful to show that no one is perfect.  We've seen before that sometimes Edna can be a wee bit too intrusive into the boys' lives, although she's usually quick to realize it. 

And this discussion about getting over past hurts is made even more interesting and poignant because of my re-reads of the revamped original stories.  Just last night I read the chapters where we see that Ellery is still hurting over his relationship with Beagle in college (which was almost 20 years ago), in spite of the fact that he is now in a deeply loving and committed relationship.  He may not be pining for Beagle anymore, but it was touching to see that reminders of Beagle - and seeing Beagle with another man - bring out some irrational behavior on his part, and I felt his pain.  Edna is absolutely right that the only thing to do is "go on" but getting your heart and your mind in sync about that is the tricky part for all of us.

... It feels good to be writing something that feels completely, entirely NEW. 

That's great, Louise - and I can certainly understand it!  We're starting to venture more deeply into some territory that we've only skirted before and who knows what else this journey may bring .... and there is still the matter of Jeremy and his sister and their unresolved issues and how that may tie in....

Thanks!
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2008, 02:25:57 pm »
yes I do go to a lot of trouble to paint the warts in.  And it confuses people who get really REALLY mad at my characters when they do boneheaded things, mean things, or say nasty things to other people.

It got a few really intense arguments about just how misogynistic Ellery is and whether Colson was being fair to his wife.  They are all flawed, and it does make some readers pretty uncomfortable that they are not idealized.  But I really can't do it any other way.

I wrote a novel in the winter of 2005-06 which I posted on my LJ called 'Your Skinny Girl' and the main character is a rather selfish, exploitive and narcissistic person who doesn't treat women very well, and I had to test it with an audience to find out of there was ENOUGH likeable about my main character for people to care about him.  But there was a reason I wrote him that way, and he had to have that nasty streak in him, because it was part of the theme.  Just as, in this story, Colson's hot temper and simmering violence masks his fear and vulnerability, and Ellery's arrogance and hard driving nature are compensations for his own feelings of isolation and loss even as he struggles to help his own kind... and of course, the cast of characters around them bring out either the best or the worst in them.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2008, 10:27:01 pm »
and here is chapter 10:  warts and all!

http://louisev.livejournal.com/259160.html

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2008, 12:18:35 am »
SPOILERS

So, Louise, how many times am I going to be saying, "I didn't see that coming!" ?  Considering the fact that Edna spilled the beans in about five minutes regarding the ceremony, I'm not sure I'd be trusting her to keep a secret if I were Laura!  LOL!

But I do wonder how this is going to factor into things.  I had forgotten that Laura and Colson had a son that was stillborn.  :(   And I hope the twins were wrong in their speculations about Steve having an affair.....but that may be wishful thinking on my part.

Can't wait to see what this cast has in store for us next!

Thanks,
Marie

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2008, 12:30:39 am »
SPOILER

Did ANYBODY see that one coming?

muah hahahah, I love it when a plot actually surprises people.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2008, 07:02:09 pm »
....and chapter 11!

http://louisev.livejournal.com/259343.html

but I am sure EVERYBODY knew this was coming!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2008, 07:37:24 pm »
..but I am sure EVERYBODY knew this was coming!

SPOILERS

Ha!  Louise, you've made it so that we don't know what's coming or what's going! LOL!

Poor Ellery - I wouldn't want to take his blood pressure right now. And it's only 9:30 a.m.  But it's true that everything does seem to hit the fan at once in life. But it was nice to see Esteban is back and doing well.

And Laura's husband is quite the charmer, isn't he?   ::)  Ugh. 

Great stuff, Louise - thanks!
Marie