Author Topic: New Greenlea Tale: The Grey Girls  (Read 173684 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: New Greenlea Tale: The Grey Girls
« Reply #130 on: March 30, 2008, 08:47:20 pm »
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #131 on: March 31, 2008, 08:06:52 am »
SPOILERS

Poor Colson.  I shudder to think what would happen if he weren't married to a chief deputy sheriff and close personal friends with a sheriff.

...Like the day you caught Larry Esteban out in the woods an kept punchin em.”..

We all know that long-standing and pent-up fear, resentment and anger are dangerous things to ourselves and those around us, and Colson went off the deep end with Larry Esteban and was lucky enough to have Ellery around to snap him back to reality and give him a sense of security.  The situations aren't precisely the same, of course, but it appears that those same emotions are causing Laura to basically lose her mind - and it doesn't appear that she has anyone to rein her in or give her that sense of security.  From what we saw in "The Long Way Home," her husband only serves to exacerbate the problem.  Edna was kind and a temporary balm, but basically Laura views her as part of Colson's camp.  I started re-reading "Red Stallions for Christmas" last night and was reminded that Katie Ann thought Pam's lie about the red stallions was "genius" and that it would be "fun" for Laura to keep believing it - because she quickly saw it as a way to manipulate her parents into getting her way (ironically something she probably learned from her mother, but not "fun" or helpful in the least). Sigh. 

“You look after Colson now, an I don’t want ta know any a the details,..”

LOL! Thanks for that little bit of classic, Wes.

Thanks,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #132 on: March 31, 2008, 11:37:45 am »
SPOILERS!

Yes, I'm afraid the resentment lies deep, and perhaps it was only a matter of time after Colson found his own life and his own way that Laura would figure out that his relationship with Ellery wasn't a passing thing and that it would continue to irritate her.  But her daughters' desire to abandon ship was not expected, and with their pushing to get away from her, that has to hurt really badly.

And now it is finally coming to head, under the worst possible circumstances.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #133 on: March 31, 2008, 12:56:10 pm »
SPOILERS!

Yes, I'm afraid the resentment lies deep, and perhaps it was only a matter of time after Colson found his own life and his own way that Laura would figure out that his relationship with Ellery wasn't a passing thing and that it would continue to irritate her.  But her daughters' desire to abandon ship was not expected, and with their pushing to get away from her, that has to hurt really badly.

And now it is finally coming to head, under the worst possible circumstances.

I,ve said this before Louise, I can honestly totally understand Lauras continuing resentment about all this I really can, BUT. If she can,t ever fully accept Colsons relationship with Ellery, and that is highly unlikely, she,s just going to have to learn to live with it, because if she doesn,t it,s going to make her ill. She,s getting herself so worked up and stressed about it all that she,s going to give herself an ulcer and probably high blood pressure too, and with her being pregnant that is not good for her or the baby. She has offered her daughter no support atall through all this so it,s no wonder they can,t wait to get away from her. She,s going to drive away everyone if she,s not very careful and she,ll end up a very lonely old woman. She,s about as bitter and twisted as she can get at the moment. She still thinks of herself as the "wronged wife" and yes, she was wronged in the worst possible way, but it was a  long long time ago and she has re-married. I really think it,s time she let or at least tried to let it go. Colson didn,t set out to be gay and hurt her, that,s just the way things went. He tried and tried for so long to fight against it because of the way he was brought up and look what happened, he lost Adam, the love of his life. You can,t help who you are or who you fall in love with. I honestly think she,ll end up being really ill over this if she,s not careful and loose the baby. I sincerely hope NOT, but stress can do alarming things to a womans body, especially when she,s pregnant.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #134 on: April 01, 2008, 10:00:30 pm »

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #135 on: April 02, 2008, 07:33:30 am »
SPOILERS

The return of "Uncle Ellery" LOL!  Who wouldn't be okay with Uncle Ellery and his checkbook?  Sign me up.  ;D

Pam doesn't need any more stress, and she certainly doesn't need or deserve her mother's anger directed toward her.  I'm glad both Colson and Ellery realize that communications between Laura and Pam (and anyone in Tourmaline for that matter) have to stop and are ready to take action. 

It will be interesting to see Colson visiting Jeremy and Nick - we've never seen him or Ellery at their apartment! And I've been curious about how Jeremy's issues with his sister's sexual assault and his own strained relationship with his mother will play into the situtation, especially now that it looks like he and Nick will be neighbors with the twins.  Interesting developments...

Thanks!
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #136 on: April 02, 2008, 05:54:37 pm »
SPOILERS

I forgot to mention my favorite part:

“We’re gonna have ta watch ourselves with these girls,” Ellery added. “We start out gettin em an apartment an we might come home with a farm.”

I love the familial tone of this - two parents talking about their girls.   :)  And Ellery hasn't given up the farm idea!

Marie

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #137 on: April 03, 2008, 12:44:27 am »
no, Ellery has definitely not given up on the farm idea.

Have to have 'future developments' don't you know!

And now, a late-breaking Chapter 32.  Sorry about that, I have been somewhat distracted with job applications and politics blogs and such.  Mea Culpa!

http://louisev.livejournal.com/265369.html

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #138 on: April 03, 2008, 07:40:14 am »
Geez, Louise, no need to apologize - and I always like the sound of "future" developments!

SPOILERS

It's always great to listen in on a Colson-Jeremy talk.  They have such a natural rapport and it was nice for Jeremy to have a turn at reassuring Colson.

“Good deal. If he gets one a the unfurnished ones them girls might be talkin em inta matchin bedroom sets an a hi fi console in the livin room.”

LOL!  Our Nicky is no slouch himself at getting what he wants, so it's not surprising that he's got the twins pegged exactly!   

“I couldn’t say no, you know how us uncles are,” Ellery said, smiling modestly.

Ha! Uncle Ellery you old softie, you!  :laugh:

Great story, Louise  Thanks!
Marie

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #139 on: April 03, 2008, 11:23:06 am »

SPOILER!

You said it, Marie,

he knows what he would do with a rich uncle, that's for sure, push for whatever he can get!