Author Topic: New Greenlea Tale: The Grey Girls  (Read 173657 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: New Greenlea Tale: The Grey Girls
« Reply #190 on: April 30, 2008, 09:47:42 pm »
Good luck, Louise! 

Yes - thank you for the "comfortable pause."  I think all the folks in Tourmaline and Prescott need a bit of a cooling off period, too.  LOL! There's an awful lot of pain to work through all the way around, but hopefully things will start to improve bit by bit. 

Thanks,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline frantic65

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • "Tell me what you want, boy."
« Reply #191 on: April 30, 2008, 11:04:52 pm »
Well gang, here it is, my last day at my job in California, and I am going to be packing up and getting ready to go when I arrive home.  My cable modem is packed in a box ready to go back to Comcast and I have to go pick up a prescription as I head out of town, so I won't be writing anymore before I go.

I hope things have got to a comfortable "pause" in the story so you can wait a few days, because I have to go off and drive all day for the next four days!

thanks for your patience and as always, for the wonderful comments!

Safe trip...four driving days...yuk!! But you are always worth waiting for and I agree with Marie, the fine upstanding citizens of Tourmaline need to chill...maybe have a few shots of Glenfiddle...get fancy...the important things in life!

**ponders which Greenlea Tale to re-read first while patiently waiting**
You're the love of my life
And the breath in my prayers
Take my hand, lead me there

I can't forget the taste of your mouth
From your lips the heavens pour out
I can't forget when we are one
With you alone I am free

~~Santana~~Love of My Life

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #192 on: April 30, 2008, 11:42:54 pm »
I am on a rest break from packing up - things are pretty much all done with the exception of the final vacuuming, putting together my lunch bag and bringing my luggage down to the car.  The printer is in the trunk, as is the bread machine and flour and supplies, and my food dry goods.  So I'll throw a little commentary out there.

My goal in writing this story is to paint in the backdrop of a relatively 'normal' dysfunctional lower class family in rural America.  I suppose what has given fuel to my writing has been relating the knowledge of growing up in a lower class family with severe money problems, limited opportunity and limited education in a rural setting. I never saw a city of any true size until I was 14 years old, and spent my first 20 years of life in a rural setting and at least part of it on a farm.  My goal was not to make Laura a caricature but rather a relatively typical woman of limited education, background and means, dealing with situations that are far beyond her ability to comprehend or appreciate, with a big chip on her shoulder about men, based upon her poor relationships with both husbands, one of whom cheated on her with a man in secret, the second of whom is cheating on her with a woman - something of a step up.  And her only real 'milieu' is her children, from whom she gets most of her social strength.  As such, her resentment and lack of understanding of someone as sophisticated as Ellery, particularly considering his wealth and education, makes her resentful and insecure.  But I don't consider her unusual in any respect.  She could be one of my aunts from Vermont, who thought it perfecty acceptable to take a broom to a daughter to teach her a lesson about wearing her skirt too short.  There are a lot of people who are like this, and I think they represent a relatively 'normal', using the statistical meaning of the term, rural mindset.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #193 on: May 01, 2008, 06:32:52 pm »
My goal was not to make Laura a caricature but rather a relatively typical woman of limited education, background and means, dealing with situations that are far beyond her ability to comprehend or appreciate, with a big chip on her shoulder about men, based upon her poor relationships with both husbands, one of whom cheated on her with a man in secret, the second of whom is cheating on her with a woman - something of a step up.  And her only real 'milieu' is her children, from whom she gets most of her social strength.  As such, her resentment and lack of understanding of someone as sophisticated as Ellery, particularly considering his wealth and education, makes her resentful and insecure.  But I don't consider her unusual in any respect.  She could be one of my aunts from Vermont, who thought it perfecty acceptable to take a broom to a daughter to teach her a lesson about wearing her skirt too short.  There are a lot of people who are like this, and I think they represent a relatively 'normal', using the statistical meaning of the term, rural mindset. 

Louise, thank you so much - I love hearing your commentaries! 

I think you've pretty much achieved your goal.  I do see Laura this way, and that's why I can't help but have sympathy for her.  She's not evil and she's not heartless.  She is, as we all are to a certain extent, a product of her time, experience and environment.  And let's face it - life has thrown her some pretty hard breaks.  I don't say that as an excuse or denial of her behavior - but, rather, as a statement of fact.  And, yes, one thing that's been particulary heartbreaking is that it's very clear that she has no support system or social life at all outside of her daughters.   

I can appreciate how much thought must go into each chapter you write, Louise!

Thanks again,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #194 on: May 01, 2008, 07:01:11 pm »
when I pulled back a little and thought about it, I realized I was putting a lot more into the characters of people I actually know, with similar problems and limitations!

Always good to get a context!

Go over to my blog if you want to know what I'm up to today, I am unwinding a bit after my first 500 mile push, now I'm 25% or so of the way to Chicago!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #195 on: May 10, 2008, 06:07:23 pm »
okay gang, the story resumes!

Chapter 45:  http://louisev.livejournal.com/268931.html

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #196 on: May 10, 2008, 09:45:43 pm »
It's great to be back in Tourmaline, Louise!  :)

I hope Wes is right and that things do improve, for everyone's sake.  It did seem like Wes made some headway in getting through to Laura.  I guess the letter will be some indication. 

Katie Ann mentioned Steve being furious - I've been wondering about him, too.  I know she brought a lot of it on herself, but I can't help but feel sorry for Laura.  It appears that she really doesn't have anyone to turn to or to support her, and that can't help but make her feel all the more alienated. 

I hope Pam gets a good night's rest and is well prepared for tomorrow. 

Thanks, Louise!
Marie

P.S.  Isn't Katie Ann's car a Monte Carlo? 

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #197 on: May 11, 2008, 06:29:59 am »
Nope sorry Marie I can,t feel in the slightest bit sorry for Laura. If she has no one to turn too it,s her own fault. Her behaviour is alienating everyone, even her own daughters. She hasn,t offered her ONE BIT of support, all she seems to do is think about herself. She,s just so bitter and twisted all the time. What is she hoping to achieve by behaving like this? Is she hoping that Pam will "stop all this nonsense" about being raped and move back home and find herself a nice man and settle down? Well that aint gonna happen any time soon is it. She,s got a rape trial to get through, and I,m dreading the prosecutors questions, because they can get tough. If Laura can,t give her daughter support at this horrendous time then going back from whence she came is the best thing she can do for everyone. Hateful woman she is.  >:(

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #198 on: May 11, 2008, 10:34:29 am »

P.S.  Isn't Katie Ann's car a Monte Carlo? 

yikes!  Don't you hate it when your fingers do things like that?  I reminded myself and everything!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #199 on: May 11, 2008, 06:47:39 pm »