Author Topic: New Greenlea Tale: The Grey Girls  (Read 173763 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: New Greenlea Tale: The Grey Girls
« Reply #230 on: June 01, 2008, 05:53:51 pm »
ok I finally did my duty! thanks for your patience!

Chapter 51:  http://louisev.livejournal.com/270362.html
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #231 on: June 01, 2008, 10:37:54 pm »
SPOILERS

Oh, my.  That was upsetting.  Our favorite candy striper Nadine and that fool hospital thing did flicker through my mind, but patient confidentiality is no small thing and that would be a big can of worms for the hospital.  I think Paula's theory is right.

So....Laura's pain and anger have already sent her over the edge, which in turn have caused Colson's fears to resurface and now his pain and anger is sending him over the edge.....

...and there sits their daughter, the rape victim.   >:(  I wish I could say that things can't get much worse - but I know better than that.   Compelling to say the least.

Thanks, Louise!
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #232 on: June 08, 2008, 11:57:06 am »
no I haven't forgotten about you all, but I did get distracted by a new device that has had me reading quite a bit, the Amazon Kindle, courtesy of Leslie.  So blame here for infrequent updates!

Chapter 52!  http://louisev.livejournal.com/270614.html
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #233 on: June 08, 2008, 02:50:30 pm »
Well, this is good timing, I log on to see that you posted a new chapter just a couple hours ago!  Reading is always a good thing - I could never fault anyone for doing a lot of it - via any device!   :)

SPOILERS

If I'm going to look for the silver linings (as I tend to do), it seems that maybe Katie Ann is gaining a good measure of maturity and insight from all of this.  It was really nice to see her and Ellery communicating so honestly and calmly - like two adults.  And as I've mentioned before, it's also nice to see Ellery and Paula's respectful and open give-and-take. 

Pam is right that it's been many years since her parents' divorce, but I keep going back in my mind to that talk that Colson and Laura had at the motel the first night she came to town when he told her, the woman he was married to for years and who gave birth to three of his children, that he had never loved her or wanted her.  I thought Ellen made such a great comment about that on your LJ - that that revelation isn't years old, it's fresh, and it would have to make Laura look at her whole adult life differently.   

I'm relieved that Colson called.  The more time he spends alone, stewing, the more things will build up in his mind and I can understand that.  The fears that cause a lifetime of hiding, as Ellery put it, probably don't ever go away completely.   Now, go get your man, Ellery!

Thanks, Louise
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #234 on: June 15, 2008, 01:30:13 pm »

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #235 on: June 15, 2008, 04:21:04 pm »
and at last, chapter 53:

http://louisev.livejournal.com/270931.html

SPOILERS

Their anguish is so palpable it leapt off the page and damn near broke my heart.  I have no words of wisdom and no idea how, or even if, any of this ("this" being the entire knot of painful issues) can ever be mended, and that's precisely why it's just like real life.   

Damn fine writing, Louise.  Thanks.

Marie

P.S.  What kind of bribe can I offer to get the next chapter soon-ish?   ;D

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #236 on: June 15, 2008, 08:09:43 pm »
well I don't know, Marie, but it might help you to know that this chapter weighed heavily on me too, which is why I am writing the next one right away!

it should be up soonish.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #237 on: June 15, 2008, 08:50:48 pm »
... and as promised...

chapter 54

http://louisev.livejournal.com/271273.html 

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #238 on: June 15, 2008, 10:41:06 pm »
Oh, thank you, Louise!  *runs off to read*

SPOILERS

Okay, I'm back.  Hmmm...well.  You know, I adore Colson and I'm usually his biggest supporter and have always tried to be very understanding of his issues, which I understand are complex.  But having said that, right now I can't decide if I want to give him an understanding hug of reassurance or slap him silly!  And the urge to slap him silly is winning. 

“So... don’t push me, okay?”

Don't push him?  Gah! I'd like to push him all right.  Things are not the same as when he first came to town.  A lot has changed - not the least of which is the fact that he made vows to Ellery.  Ellery has the right to push him - but right now he's scared to death and I know he won't.  It's past time for everyone to be walking on eggshells around Colson's (and Laura's) feelings.  I get that Colson is fearful, I do  - but someone needs to point out that he's also being selfish.  Why do his fears take precedence over Ellery's fears?  Marriage is supposed to mean that you take your spouse's feelings into consideration - that you think of your spouse before thinking of yourself.  He'd rather break Ellery's heart than deal with this?    I remember when he had that terrible episode when they were planning the wedding reception and how Wes was upset that Ellery's feelings were being hurt and wanted to give Colson a talking-to, but Ellery wouldn't let him.   I don't know what Wes is going to say when they get there, but at this point I hope he doesn't mollycoddle him, because I think tactic just makes Colson feel his fears are justified and valid. 

Right now I feel like Cher in "Moonstruck" - "Snap out of it!"  LOL!  I have to stop, the more I type, the more pissed off I'm getting, and it takes a lot to get me pissed off.   :laugh:

You're taking us for some ride, Louise - thanks!

Marie

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #239 on: June 15, 2008, 11:07:11 pm »
I have to say, Marie, I agree with every word you say!