Author Topic: New Greenlea Tale: The Grey Girls  (Read 173698 times)

Offline souxi

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
Re: New Greenlea Tale: The Grey Girls
« Reply #240 on: June 16, 2008, 05:01:17 am »
Hmmmmmmmm like you Marie I,m torn between feeling sorry for Colson and wanting to shake him out of it. The thing is, he,s been terrifed all his life of being "found out" and being beaten to death for it, and now, with what Laura has been up too, he thinks someone is going to come and beat down the front door, drag him off and beat him to death. He genuinally can,t help it. He,d probably like to snap out of it, but I don,t think he knows how too. He,s been this way all of his life, and now he wants to run away and hide. I knew it would come to this in the end. Colson has been wound up like a spring ever since evil bitch Laura showed up. She,s hell bent on revenge for what Colson did to her, ie leave her for another man, and if that means breaking him and Ellery up then so be it, she couldn;t  care less. This is all her fault, and someone really needs to have stern words with her. Wes is the ideal man for the job. I think Ellery might hit her if he did it.  The thing is, this fear is never going to go away is it? Not for Colson. He has two options, Either he accepts that this his is life with Ellery and gets on with it, OR, he does what he,s done all his adult life, runs away. It,s all very well saying, "get a grip" but it,s easier said than done. Old habits die hard.
Damn Laura. What a nasty spiteful, vindictive sour faced old crone she is. >:( >:( I don,t know how she sleeps at night. In fact I hope she has nightmares, really dreadful horrible ones.  >:(

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #241 on: June 16, 2008, 09:21:53 am »
Yes, of course, everything is easier said than done, souxi.  I totally agree with that.  But that doesn't mean it can't, or shouldn't be done. 

If I recall correctly, Colson doesn't have an "Earl and Rich" type incident in his past (unless we just haven't heard about it), so I while I sympathize with his fears, I don't put them on the severe childhood trauma level of, for example, Ennis's.  I'm not saying his fears aren't genuine and deep, I just don't see him as deeply traumatized in the psychological sense.  Besides which, someone has "come to his door," more than once now - and he's survived.  He also made a commitment to Ellery, which he seems to have forgotten about (playing house?  >:(   >:(  )

I also don't lay the blame for how Colson's been behaving on Laura's head.  In fact, except for the fact that she is in total denial about Pam beng raped, I think they've both been behaving selfishly.  I don't see where Colson has the right to moan about Laura not being able to let go of the past, when he can't either.  He can't let go of his fears and she can't let go of her resentment and she has just as much right to be resentful as he does to be fearful.   Why are his feelings more valid than hers?  They're not - and they're making him act like a jerk. 

He tells Laura that he never loved her and never wanted her and has the nerve and insensitivity to ask her why she doesn't have faith in people.  He tells Ellery - his husband! -  that they've been "playing house" and that he doesn't want to be "pushed."  What about Ellery's feelings? What about Ellery's fears?  He has them, too!  He acts put out about having to sit through dinners with the twins and Wes and Edna - when the Browns are the ones who've been stuck with his girls more than he's been!  He didn't ask Pam one word about how her deposition went - as it relates to her and her feelings.  He didn't ask one little word about a plea deal and how Pam might avoid the trauma of a trial - because he has his own set of blinders on and he's thinking about himself.  So if he's going to complain about Laura, maybe he better take a good look in the mirror first because although he believes Pam was raped, I haven't seen hm displaying much concern for that fact lately.  Neither Colson nor Laura are pulling themselves together for the sake of their own daughter - and Colson actually believes she was raped!  And it hasn't escaped my notice that Colson has a strong support system surrounding him of people who love him and understand, people he can talk openly to  - something that Laura doesn't have.

I'm not making excuses for Laura, but those words you said about "old habits" and "easier said than done" apply to her as well as Colson.  I love Colson, but I'm disappointed in him right now - and angry with him, too.  And I'm very curious about Wes and Edna's reaction to all this.....I know they love Colson, but Ellery is the son the never had, and if someone were treating my son the way Colson is treating Ellery right now, I'd be none too pleased. 

Woo Wee, Louise - you've really got me riled!   :laugh: :laugh:

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #242 on: June 16, 2008, 09:43:27 am »
I agree with everything you have said Marie, BUT, the only reason Colson is so scared now, is because of Laura trying to get the law to do a little digging into his life, and find out what he,s "up too". So I blame him being scared on her. However, your right about how he,s not thinking about Ellerys, feeling, but I honestly think that he is so scared he can,t think straight. He just wants to run away and hide, where no one knows him. They all need a good kick up the backside if the truth be known, and I,m just the one to do it. Louise can I please please please have a walk on part to knock a couple of Lauras teeth out??   :laugh:

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #243 on: June 16, 2008, 11:32:49 am »
Yes, of course, everything is easier said than done, souxi.  I totally agree with that.  But that doesn't mean it can't, or shouldn't be done. 

If I recall correctly, Colson doesn't have an "Earl and Rich" type incident in his past (unless we just haven't heard about it), so I while I sympathize with his fears, I don't put them on the severe childhood trauma level of, for example, Ennis's.  I'm not saying his fears aren't genuine and deep, I just don't see him as deeply traumatized in the psychological sense.  Besides which, someone has "come to his door," more than once now - and he's survived.  He also made a commitment to Ellery, which he seems to have forgotten about (playing house?  >:(   >:(  )

I also don't lay the blame for how Colson's been behaving on Laura's head.  In fact, except for the fact that she is in total denial about Pam beng raped, I think they've both been behaving selfishly.  I don't see where Colson has the right to moan about Laura not being able to let go of the past, when he can't either.  He can't let go of his fears and she can't let go of her resentment and she has just as much right to be resentful as he does to be fearful.   Why are his feelings more valid than hers?  They're not - and they're making him act like a jerk. 

He tells Laura that he never loved her and never wanted her and has the nerve and insensitivity to ask her why she doesn't have faith in people.  He tells Ellery - his husband! -  that they've been "playing house" and that he doesn't want to be "pushed."  What about Ellery's feelings? What about Ellery's fears?  He has them, too!  He acts put out about having to sit through dinners with the twins and Wes and Edna - when the Browns are the ones who've been stuck with his girls more than he's been!  He didn't ask Pam one word about how her deposition went - as it relates to her and her feelings.  He didn't ask one little word about a plea deal and how Pam might avoid the trauma of a trial - because he has his own set of blinders on and he's thinking about himself.  So if he's going to complain about Laura, maybe he better take a good look in the mirror first because although he believes Pam was raped, I haven't seen hm displaying much concern for that fact lately.  Neither Colson nor Laura are pulling themselves together for the sake of their own daughter - and Colson actually believes she was raped!  And it hasn't escaped my notice that Colson has a strong support system surrounding him of people who love him and understand, people he can talk openly to  - something that Laura doesn't have.

I'm not making excuses for Laura, but those words you said about "old habits" and "easier said than done" apply to her as well as Colson.  I love Colson, but I'm disappointed in him right now - and angry with him, too.  And I'm very curious about Wes and Edna's reaction to all this.....I know they love Colson, but Ellery is the son the never had, and if someone were treating my son the way Colson is treating Ellery right now, I'd be none too pleased. 

Woo Wee, Louise - you've really got me riled!   :laugh: :laugh:

Marie

You tell him Edna Marie!!!
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #244 on: June 16, 2008, 01:01:02 pm »
Louise can I please please please have a walk on part ...

:laugh: :laugh:  Wouldn't that be a blast if we could plop ourselves down in Greenlea County and give everyone what for! We'd put that town in order in no time!

souxi, you're right that this time, Laura's actions (with no small amount of coaxing by the very unscrupulous Yavapai County police detective and prosecutor!) have caused Colson's fears to resurface.  But there are always going to be people out there for him to fear.  Laura isn't the cause of his root fear - that's something that is inside of him.  In  "A Small Circle of Friends" he learned that maybe he can't control his feelings of grief over Adam's death, but he can control how he deals with those feelings, how he acts upon them.  And that's what he needs to learn with regards to his fear.  A psychologist would have a field day trying to figure out why Colson didn't run away from Ellery after looking down the barrel of Worrell's gun, after being shot at, after being kidnapped, and after being harrassed by Bunny Ruskin - but wants to run now.  Perhaps it's because when he unravels the entire ugly knot of what's happening to his family now - he sees himself at the beginning of it.  Maybe what he really needs to do is find a way to forgive himself.  Or maybe I'm just overthinking the whole thing.   :laugh:  I don't know.  But he can't go on the way he has been.  This can't be doing Ellery's blood pressure any good, and that doesn't seem to have occurred to him either.   :-\

You tell him Edna Marie!!!

:laugh: :laugh:  I'd love to - I doubt that Edna would go on such a rant! 

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #245 on: June 16, 2008, 02:46:05 pm »
I am glad to see that there aren"t any complaints about my portraying the characters as too perfect!

hahah.

This is preying on my mind about now so don't be surprised if you see an update again quite soon!  After a hectic 14 hour Friday things have settled back down at work and I am doing a lot less actual technical thinking so I might just be able to pull off some during-the-week updates!  Stay tuned!!!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #246 on: June 16, 2008, 03:33:20 pm »
I think that half the reason Colson wants to run now, as apose to before, is because Laura has got the police involved in looking into him. Even though Ellery is a policeman the law still pretty much terrifies him doesn't it? The thought of his past/background being investigated must be scaring him beyond belief. I think he,s just about ready to run for the hills now. No Laura isn,t the cause of his root fear, your right, but she obviously knows just how to scare him, and it,s working. She,d like nothing better than to see them two split up. Come on Louise, just one teeny weeny little walk on part? I only wanna give her a black eye...........pleaaaaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.  *flutters eyelashes* ;) :laugh:

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #247 on: June 16, 2008, 03:45:09 pm »
:laugh: :laugh:  Wouldn't that be a blast if we could plop ourselves down in Greenlea County and give everyone what for! We'd put that town in order in no time!

souxi, you're right that this time, Laura's actions (with no small amount of coaxing by the very unscrupulous Yavapai County police detective and prosecutor!) have caused Colson's fears to resurface.  But there are always going to be people out there for him to fear.  Laura isn't the cause of his root fear - that's something that is inside of him.  In  "A Small Circle of Friends" he learned that maybe he can't control his feelings of grief over Adam's death, but he can control how he deals with those feelings, how he acts upon them.  And that's what he needs to learn with regards to his fear.  A psychologist would have a field day trying to figure out why Colson didn't run away from Ellery after looking down the barrel of Worrell's gun, after being shot at, after being kidnapped, and after being harrassed by Bunny Ruskin - but wants to run now.  Perhaps it's because when he unravels the entire ugly knot of what's happening to his family now - he sees himself at the beginning of it.  Maybe what he really needs to do is find a way to forgive himself.  Or maybe I'm just overthinking the whole thing.   :laugh:  I don't know.  But he can't go on the way he has been.  This can't be doing Ellery's blood pressure any good, and that doesn't seem to have occurred to him either.   :-\

You raise some excellent points Marie. And I agree with you. It all comes back to the fact that Colson hasn't dealt with his past with Laura. Or his past with his daughters. He has asked Adam to forgive him and he should do the same with his family (or ex-family). And like you said, he ultimately needs to forgive himself. He can't change the past, or ignore it.  :-\

:laugh: :laugh:  I'd love to - I doubt that Edna would go on such a rant! 

Marie

Hmm, doesn't Edna have a rolling pin? Didn't Wes make a comment about that once?  ;)  ;D

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #248 on: June 16, 2008, 04:00:25 pm »
Oh, and I forgot to say...

SNAP OUT OF IT COLSON!!!! >:( >:(

There, much better now.  :)

Offline souxi