Author Topic: Is Ennis in the shrt story more tender/loving than in the film?  (Read 7166 times)

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
It struck me while reading(yet again) the story ,that Ennis comes across as slightly more tender and loving than he does in the film.One example being the reunion scene,where Proulx states "and Ennis not big on endearments.said what he said to his horses and daughters,little darlin"
Later in the motel scene he admits to Jack what happened when he left him saying he figured his gut wrenching moment was "that I shouldn't a let you out a my sights "

We know I think,that Ennis truly loves his daughters,as it is a love he can comfortably express,so by using the same phrase to Jack as he does to His daughters,we can deduce (I think) that he loves Jack.
I know that books and films are not exact copies of each other,what I find unusual,is that usually we have to fill in more gaps as a reader,than when watching a film.Yet here is the reverse.

Was it done because Ang wanted to add more pathos to the final scene,was he trying to make us the audience use our own imaginations,rather than being spoon fed.Or did he simply think that some members of society, would take the little darlin phrase, as a step too far,in an already potentially risque film.

Personally, I would love to have heard him say, little darlin, and also admit to Jack,he wished he had not let him go.The former because it is just so loving,and the latter because in the end Jack does go. Ennis has in fact let him go once,through choice ,and then again by his untimely death.So to me it would have added even more tragedy, by knowing that Ennis realises he has let go twice.

I suppose I would also have liked to see Jack have the small crumbs of comfort in the film that he does in the book.

I would appreciate any opinions,as it continues to bother me.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Is Ennis in the shrt story more tender/loving than in the film?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 01:29:13 pm »
Great observations and questions Fiona!  :)

I think there's more than one reason for Ennis' different behaviour. One is that Ennis in the story is more conscious about himself and his feelings for Jack. Therefore he can be more vocal about it.

Another reason is that the reunion sequence (from which your examples are) is different in movie and story. And Ang Lee gave us (and Jack) other small tender moments: the prayer of thanks for example.

A third reason is that Ang could give us visuals Annie Proulx couldn't (well, theoretically, she could have, but it would have made another story): the way Ennis' face lits up when he exits his car at the camping trip where Jack puts the corn into a pot, the embrace that follows, Ennis beaming at Jack after they untangled the Chilean sheep from theirs, the third tent scene, etc.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 01:35:09 pm »
And The Nuzzle! How could I forget this? There was a whole thread dedicated to it ("Ode to The Nuzzle" on IMDB back then; I think it might well be in the Remarkable writings from IMDB rewound forum).

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 01:39:03 pm »
I agree.
The Ennis in the movie is much harder and more reserved than the Ennis in the book.
I loved that in the story where he calls Jack Lil Darlin.
It is one of the most beautiful endearments. However, in the movie we get the Dozy Embrace and I think that makes up for it. That is one of the most tender and moving scenes from any movie. It is so short lived though. I hate where it cuts from sweet sleepy Jack watching Ennis ride up the tend the sheep to older angry Jack watching Ennis drive away! Again.
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline optom3

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 03:23:23 pm »
And The Nuzzle! How could I forget this? There was a whole thread dedicated to it ("Ode to The Nuzzle" on IMDB back then; I think it might well be in the Remarkable writings from IMDB rewound forum).

Love that scene,and also when they are in the motel and rather than reply to Jack,Ennis just rubs his arm.Lost count of how many times I have watched those scenes.I wonder if one day I will watch them without a years supply of tissues.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 03:39:50 pm »
Thinking about the things I said earlier, I tend to say Ennis in the movie is just as tender/loving as Ennis in the story is. Only in a different way. M.Ennis is just less vocal about it.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 03:59:47 pm »
Thinking about the things I said earlier, I tend to say Ennis in the movie is just as tender/loving as Ennis in the story is. Only in a different way. M.Ennis is just less vocal about it.
Good Point!
I guess because of the subtleties you don't pick up on it as much. In the movie the tenderness is in a look or an embrace (like Fiona mentioned in her last post). Even when they are on their last camping trip and Jack tells Ennis how he misses him he seems cold then you see him holding Jack in the tent.
I think the book Ennis though, was more open to the possibilities of the sweet life Jack wanted. I say this because of his admission of shouldn't have let him outta his sights and the gut cramps etc. In the movie I never thought Ennis would have been opend to any life with Jack other than what they had. However in the book it seems like Ennis thought about it and if he had a bit more courage when they came off the mountain could have done it.
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 01:00:48 am »
It struck me while reading(yet again) the story ,that Ennis comes across as slightly more tender and loving than he does in the film.One example being the reunion scene,where Proulx states "and Ennis not big on endearments.said what he said to his horses and daughters,little darlin"
Later in the motel scene he admits to Jack what happened when he left him saying he figured his gut wrenching moment was "that I shouldn't a let you out a my sights "

We know I think,that Ennis truly loves his daughters,as it is a love he can comfortably express,so by using the same phrase to Jack as he does to His daughters,we can deduce (I think) that he loves Jack.
I know that books and films are not exact copies of each other,what I find unusual,is that usually we have to fill in more gaps as a reader,than when watching a film.Yet here is the reverse.

Was it done because Ang wanted to add more pathos to the final scene,was he trying to make us the audience use our own imaginations,rather than being spoon fed.Or did he simply think that some members of society, would take the little darlin phrase, as a step too far,in an already potentially risque film.

Personally, I would love to have heard him say, little darlin, and also admit to Jack,he wished he had not let him go.The former because it is just so loving,and the latter because in the end Jack does go. Ennis has in fact let him go once,through choice ,and then again by his untimely death.So to me it would have added even more tragedy, by knowing that Ennis realises he has let go twice.

I suppose I would also have liked to see Jack have the small crumbs of comfort in the film that he does in the book.

I would appreciate any opinions,as it continues to bother me.

these really are excellent observations. I noted that Ennis is more loving and expressive in the ss, he calls Jack "Little Darling" in the ss. Jack is also more expressive, showing that he enjoyed the sex in the tent scene exclaiming "Guns going off". some critics of the movie saw that scene as a "prison rape scene". of course it was nothing like that it was mutually enjoyable.

Offline myprivatejack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Little darlinĀ“
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 12:22:49 pm »
I do think that the Ennis in s.s. is slightly more tender than the Ennis in the movie; or,at least ans better said,he's not so afraid of showing his love for Jack more clearly.It seems as if in the movie Ennis was still more reluctant to accept Jack's dreams of a "sweet life together" and as if it remarks more his fears and doubts,on one side,and the excuses that became a reason for not committing himself.on the other side-such as his daughters or the economical duties-.There's also less communication on Ennis part about his feelings,and a good proof is the motel scene;however,the movie shows us some lovely details-more subtle...-about what he feels for Jack:the prayer of thanks,several glances that speak volumes,or the final breakdown in Jack's arms,that is not so evident in s.s.,f.e.
I like your silences,quiet conversations of evident sensations,where our words are lifeĀ“s tinsels.
The lost illusions are the found truths.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 03:33:15 pm »
When we all watched the movie yesterday, I thought I heard Ennis say, "'scuze me darlin" to Junior when he got up from the table to dance with Cassie. Or did he say, "'scuze me daughter?" It's important because I guess that would be the only instance of "darlin" in the film.

"chewing gum and duct tape"