Author Topic: home remedies  (Read 5939 times)

Offline forsythia12

• Brokeback Got Me Good
home remedies
« on: March 01, 2008, 02:00:06 pm »
in light of heath's death, there were some posts regarding the overuse of prescriptions and medications.  i thought i'd start a thread inviting anyone to post their home remedies for anything from Athsma to Zits.  anyone have any ideas or things they've tried that worked?
has anyone heard of "oil of oregenol" for fighting infections?  apparently it's really powerfull stuff....as long as it's the real stuff, and it is very effective.
or
tea tree oil for acne?
vitamin 'C' or zinc for colds and sore throats?

...just to get the ball rolling.

or post your ailments, and maybe someone can respond with a remedy....

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: home remedies
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 02:02:46 pm »
Heartburn -- take a couple of "swigs" of apple cider vinegar.

Swig = roughly a tablespoon, I reckon.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 02:04:58 pm »
My grandpa used to make me a ginger tea whenever my stomach was upset. He would cut fresh ginger in pieces, and boil it. I'd drink as a tea (after he took the ginger pieces out of course!). It worked for me.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 02:08:20 pm »
I have also heard that the ginger tea is good for arthritis, tho I've never tried it.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline forsythia12

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 02:26:10 pm »
i saw an article about 'vick's vapor rub', and although it's not exactly a home remedy, it is quite safe, and not something you injest.  anyways, my kids hate the smell of the stuff, but i read that you can rub it on the bottom of their feet and somehow, it still calms a cough.  i tried it on my youngest, and it seemed to work.

another thing i found truly miraculous is a product called "fever bugs".  for anyone who has small children, you know how hard it is to get their temp taken, especially through the night.  well, these fever bugs are cute stickers that stick to the child's forhead and last for 48 hrs.  it continuously monitors their temp, and let's you know if it's a fever.  kids love wearing them and they have no idea it's something medical.  very cool product!

i too have heard that ginger is good for upset stomaches.  i hate the taste of it though.  lol 
'gravol' makes a non-drowsy, natural product that's made of ginger, and that has helped me in the past.....

i know these are all things purchased at a pharmacy, despite my initial post....oops. ::)

Offline optom3

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 11:02:16 pm »
i saw an article about 'vick's vapor rub', and although it's not exactly a home remedy, it is quite safe, and not something you injest.  anyways, my kids hate the smell of the stuff, but i read that you can rub it on the bottom of their feet and somehow, it still calms a cough.  i tried it on my youngest, and it seemed to work.

another thing i found truly miraculous is a product called "fever bugs".  for anyone who has small children, you know how hard it is to get their temp taken, especially through the night.  well, these fever bugs are cute stickers that stick to the child's forhead and last for 48 hrs.  it continuously monitors their temp, and let's you know if it's a fever.  kids love wearing them and they have no idea it's something medical.  very cool product!

i too have heard that ginger is good for upset stomaches.  i hate the taste of it though.  lol 
'gravol' makes a non-drowsy, natural product that's made of ginger, and that has helped me in the past.....

i know these are all things purchased at a pharmacy, despite my initial post....oops. :

Dry ginger ale works well,I drank gallons when pregnant.
For itchy eyes with a cold,or allergies make up a weak salt solution approx 1tbsp salt in 4 pints water,boil so sterile,then when cool,freeze in ice cube bags,you can then defrost whenever needed and really soothing.
Aloe plants for sunburn,you just break the leaves in half an rub on the sap.I keep mine in the fridge so they are cool as well
oil of cloves for toothache,tastes yuk but does seem to work.
bad headache,pinch as hard as you can or get someone else to do it for you the small hollow area between thumb and first finger,then release pressure very slowly.It is an acupuncture point and it does work,at least some of the time.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 05:07:55 pm »
Heartburn -- take a couple of "swigs" of apple cider vinegar.

Swig = roughly a tablespoon, I reckon.

Apple cider vinegar seems to be something of a wonder product.  It's great if you have aching muscles... particularly achy legs.  You pour a cup or two into a hot bath and soak in it... It's amazing how quickly it can relieve those aches.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 06:08:06 pm »
Yes, ginger in any form, (ginger beer, ginger tablets, even ginger biscuits), is good for stomach upsets, and arthritis.

And Vicks Vaporub....to clear a head cold, put a tablespoon of it in boiling water, put a towel over your head, and lean over the steam and breathe it in.....it will certainly clear out the sinuses.

Paw paw is another "cure all".....either by eating it for intestinal problems, or we also can get paw-paw ointment and it will fix cuts, bites, boils...anything.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 06:14:18 pm »
And some ointmets and lotions are multi-purpose.....

I had an ingrown toenail the other day, and it was painfully throbbing....I found some "stuff" in the medicine cabinet, that I had bought for my grandson when he had had a toothache......I rubbed it on my toe, and it took away the pain.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 07:28:36 pm »
What is Paw Paw?  Is that an herb, or a brand-name product of some sort? 

(maybe it's called something different in the Northern or Western hemisphere?)