Author Topic: THIS is Why I Will NEVER Get on One of These Things!!!  (Read 19683 times)

injest

THIS is Why I Will NEVER Get on One of These Things!!!
« on: March 03, 2008, 09:13:26 pm »
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 01:08:28 am by injest »

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: THIS is Why I Will NEVER Get on One of These Things!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 09:18:08 pm »
Never say never.  :P

Ye gods.   :o :o :o

The downdraft and crosswinds must have been a serious bitch to be blowing that plane around like that!!

Well done and great save, pilot. Bet they were all scared shitless.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 01:02:49 am by delalluvia »

Offline forsythia12

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 12:53:18 am »
yes, that's scary alright, but it's being way up in the air that i hate.  the thought of plunging for all that distance straight to the ground can keep me from sleeping at night.
in fact, i often have nightmares about plane crashes.  scary stuff.  not the way i want to exit this world, that's for sure.
i would like to avoid them altogether, but we're going to mexico in november with my inlaws again, and i've got no choice in the matter.  i had to take adivan last time, but it didn't help much.
maybe this time i can be fully knocked out!  or drunk! lol

Offline forsythia12

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 02:17:00 am »
so, injest...you've never been on one?

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 05:22:38 am »
that is one GREAT pilot.... :o :o :o

Yes, he is!
This was last Saturday in Hamburg, Germany while a hurricane was blowing over the country. The actual state of affairs is that the tower directed the plane to the wrong runway. At the other runway the winds were less bad and coming from another direction.

The plane first got hit by a very strong squall (gust?) from the left, so it was pushed to the right. The pilot was able to balance the plane again, but then it was hit by a strong squall from the right and therefore pushed to the left and the left wing touched the ground. The pilot was thankfully quick and completely right with his decision to take off again.

The plane then circled for 15 minutes and finally landed safely on the other runway.

It is reported by a journalist who was on board that everybody on the plane was quiet. He said either people were pretty cool or in shock, but one way ot the other, there was no panic on board.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 08:58:26 am »

Yes, he is!
This was last Saturday in Hamburg, Germany while a hurricane was blowing over the country. The actual state of affairs is that the tower directed the plane to the wrong runway. At the other runway the winds were less bad and coming from another direction.

The plane first got hit by a very strong squall (gust?) from the left, so it was pushed to the right. The pilot was able to balance the plane again, but then it was hit by a strong squall from the right and therefore pushed to the left and the left wing touched the ground. The pilot was thankfully quick and completely right with his decision to take off again.

The plane then circled for 15 minutes and finally landed safely on the other runway.

It is reported by a journalist who was on board that everybody on the plane was quiet. He said either people were pretty cool or in shock, but one way ot the other, there was no panic on board.

Yep, saw that left wing touch and thought oh no!  Other planes have come to grief that way...
I also wonder, who the heck was standing under the runway to take the vid when a plane could've come down on their heads?!?!

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 09:17:57 am »
He/She may have been a student pilot doing a training manuver called a "Touch and Go" they land and take right back off again, several times.

I wondered if this might be the case, the plane seemed light, I think with a full plane it would not be as sideways as it was, but this is all speculation on my part.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 11:38:49 am »
What keeps the plane in the air, no matter what it weighs, is simply lift.  If there is greater air pressure under the wings than over the wings, the plane will fly, simple as that.

That's how they explained how The Flying Nun could fly.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 07:00:24 pm »
shitting hell......... that is one scary video - that pilot is amazing!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline forsythia12

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 07:12:24 pm »
shitting hell......... that is one scary video - that pilot is amazing!

"shitting hell"?  that's helarious kelda.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2008, 07:46:38 pm »
For the first time, someone could ask the question "what keeps the plane from falling out of the sky" without feeling foolish.  The answer has nothing to do with the engine(s).  If the engines quit, the plane simply becomes a glider (and yes, commercial airliners have been successfully glided in for a landing).

What keeps the plane in the air, no matter what it weighs, is simply lift.  If there is greater air pressure under the wings than over the wings, the plane will fly, simple as that.  Now think about just how powerful air pressure is for a moment (i.e. hurricanes and tornadoes), and it is easy to understand how planes stay in the air.  Being able to see the earth from above is a perspective changing privilege that prior generations have only aspired to all the way back to ancient times (Daedalus and Icarus).  Please try to enjoy it.  Commercial aviation is very, very safe.  And it is so beautiful up there!

To tie into what Susie said, here is one of my favorite stories.  It has a happy ending Jess, worry not.  The aviation industry learned a lot from this.

What happens when a plane runs out of gas in midair?  I give you The Gimli Glider:

http://www.wadenelson.com/gimli.html

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2008, 05:31:44 pm »
"shitting hell"?  that's helarious kelda.

:D :laugh:

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2008, 09:01:01 pm »
I know you are trying to help, Del.....but this is supposed to make me feel BETTER??

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Well at least you know even if a plane gets in trouble and it weighs 132 tons, it will still glide.

A helicopter just drops like a brick.

Oops, forget I said that.  ;)

Offline ZK

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2008, 03:36:39 am »
Heya Injest

Now I admit that video clip that you posted was one out of the box, however I fly exactly the same type of aircraft (my crew position is the rear door on the left handside to be precise) 4 to 5 days a week, and I fly into one of the world's most challenging airports due to wind conditions (last time I landed there it was a tad bumpy all the pax applauded once we hit terra firma ...oops I mean landed LOL).

Now I have come across more than a few first time flyers (and no mam the window does not open,, yes mam the toilets are unisex) , then theres the nervous flyers (like the lady last week who shot this terrified look at me in the midst of the safety demonstration cause the aircraft was making some noises during taxi, I just mouthed to her its ok and gave her a reassuring smile she was fine, and then there was no mam I can't hold your hand during take off cause my boyfriend wouldn't like it.... LOL).

You know Injest, the pilots have years and years of experiience, they know what they are doing. As cabin crew we have over 3 weeks of training, 2 days of customer service and rest is all about safety. So you will be in good hands. Its a pity you aren't in the same country as me cause you could come flying with me and to heck with the boyfriend, for you it would be an honour to hold your hand!!!  ;)

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2008, 02:25:22 pm »
I look at this and my inexperienced and uninformed self keeps thinking:

they're already on the ground!  Why take off again in such obviously lousy weather?!?!

Because, of course, the pilots know better.  It's kinda like a ship captain when almost into port, runs into a hurricane and figures they'd be safer out to sea.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2008, 10:52:15 am »
its fake jess!!!

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2008, 11:44:12 am »
LOL

Yes, the bouncy landing is fake!

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2008, 05:14:00 pm »
ettu, Del??  :( :(

I though you were my friend....and here you are trying to cover for them crazy people...

I didn't say the hellish landing approach was fake, now did I?  So there.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2008, 06:43:40 pm »
oh ok... ;) ;)

what about the plane blowing all the people in the water??

Fake fake fake.  C'mon Jess, you believe everything you see on YouTube?   :laugh:

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2008, 06:40:41 pm »
Zaventem airport (Brussels) yesterday:

http://portfolio.lesoir.be/main.php?g2_itemId=192634

I live about 5 minutes away (by bike) from there...

j. U. d. E.
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline ZK

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2008, 08:43:52 am »
Hate to tell you but thats real, its in the Dutch antilles I think, I'd love to be standing on that beach!!!!

mvansand76

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2008, 09:03:13 am »
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAfQwDizpRo&eurl=http://www.oddee.com/item_93109.aspx[/youtube]

:o :o

is THIS one a fake too??!

Yup, it's real, and it could only be Dutch (KLM)!  :laugh: I think it's Curacao....

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2008, 09:07:33 am »
Jezus! I thought landing at LaGuardia was bad...... ;)
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

mvansand76

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2008, 10:40:17 am »
Oops... it's St. Maarten!  :D

Offline optom3

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2008, 11:41:10 am »
Jezus! I thought landing at LaGuardia was bad...... ;)

Sorry,not a patch on HongKong, now that is scary!!!! Not that I had my eyes open,I was too busy saying my prayers!!!!

mvansand76

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2008, 02:15:48 pm »
Yep, it's real.  I have been there.  We arrived via ship and so didn't experience the landing, but have stood on that beach watching the aircraft.  It's just plain crazy!!

Or plane crazy!  :laugh:

I'm sorry, bad joke!

mvansand76

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2008, 03:09:39 pm »
Almost spelled it that way myself!

:laugh:

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2008, 03:20:33 pm »
Eww, that's really scary looking!  :P

747s are landing there now? We were in St. Maarten in 1979 and we landed in a 727 or a 707. I can't remember which one it was now, but it was a really scary landing. The pilot told us to buckle our seatbelts extra tight because the landing would be a very "brief". I remember he started reversing the engines before we even landed, and then slammed on the brakes because the runway was so short. Taking off was scary too, because there is a mountain not far from the end of the runway, and he had to dodge it by quickly turning the plane just after takeoff.

They had signs posted all along the beach warning people of sand blast from the jet engines. Our hotel was a little bit further down the beach from the airport so it really wasn't too much of a problem for us, but I remember we had lunch at a restaurant near the airport and that's when I saw those signs. They must have upgraded their airport since I was there. It was called Queen Juliana airport back then and it was designed for smaller airplanes. St. Maarten was just becoming a popular tourist destination when we were there, and many parts of the island were not developed yet. I'd love to go back there someday. It's a beautiful little island. We stayed on the Dutch side, in Phillipsburg. One day we drove over to the French side of the island (called St. Martin over there). There's no customs to mess with when driving from one side to the other, just a little sign welcoming you to either the Dutch side or the French side. :)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline ZK

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2008, 06:50:45 pm »
You are so lucky to have been there David, I'd love to go there. Its on my list of must go there places

I think I'd rather be on the plane than getting sand blasted.

&feature=related

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2008, 08:04:26 pm »
Who the heck picks where airports are located? >:(

I thought it was a joke at first when that plane slid off a wet runway in South America and right into a gas station and blew up.

I was thinking, "That can't be real.  It has to be a punchline.  What idiot puts a gas station at the end of an airport runway?"

And now look at this St. Maarten house of horrors.

When the Delta plane crashed at DFW airport back in the mid 80's, it crushed a car on Spur 114, the road passing by the approach path of the plane.

What if the pilot has a bad day or a bad gust of wind at the last moment?  I wouldn't want to be anywhere near that beach.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2008, 08:22:18 pm »
see? them things are dangerous even when you are NOT on them!

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

That's the sand blast I was talking about!  :laugh:

It's pretty bad, isn't it? If that video was a little bit wider, you could probably see where our hotel was. I don't even remember the name of it anymore. It was big and it was painted white I think. Back then it was the largest hotel on the Dutch side, probably the largest on the entire island because the Dutch side was more developed than the French side was. It's probably all different now. It's been almost 30 years since I've been there. I hope they haven't deveoped it too much because it was such a pretty island and the people there were so friendly. :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2008, 08:26:38 pm »
You are so lucky to have been there David, I'd love to go there. Its on my list of must go there places

I think I'd rather be on the plane than getting sand blasted.

&feature=related

I hope you get there someday soon. I'm sure you'd love it. And thanks for posting the video. It's funny watching all those people running into the water, but I'll bet all that sand really hurt!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2008, 08:32:59 pm »
Who the heck picks where airports are located? >:(

I thought it was a joke at first when that plane slid off a wet runway in South America and right into a gas station and blew up.

I was thinking, "That can't be real.  It has to be a punchline.  What idiot puts a gas station at the end of an airport runway?"

And now look at this St. Maarten house of horrors.

When the Delta plane crashed at DFW airport back in the mid 80's, it crushed a car on Spur 114, the road passing by the approach path of the plane.

What if the pilot has a bad day or a bad gust of wind at the last moment?  I wouldn't want to be anywhere near that beach.

Well, if I remember correctly, when the airport was placed there originally, it accommodated airplanes much smaller than these huge jets. They've obviously added new runways there, or lengthened existing ones. There was NO WAY a 747 could have landed there when I visited St. Maarten. The jet we were on was probably too big for that little airport. And that mountain is much more scary than the beach is. They warned us about it ahead of time, and he really jerked our plane hard in order to miss crashing into it. It was a little bit scary. lol

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2008, 09:52:41 pm »
Most airports start on the outskirts of towns and then civilization moves in around them.  Many of the airports in the US date back to WWII and were originally air bases.

Did you have to dodge the mountain when you took off Susie? Do you remember the mountain? They rev up the engines really fast, and you shoot down the runway as if you were just shot out of a rubber band. Just as you get airborne, they swerve the plane to miss the mountain. It's probably about a mile or two from the end. I really can't remember for sure, but it's close enough for the pilot to take evasive action. :laugh:

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2008, 09:57:34 pm »
Here is the beach on the Dutch side in late 2005 ...

I wish I could remember the name of the hotel we stayed in. It was beautiful. It was very large (at least 5 stories) and I think it was painted white. It probably had several hundred rooms in it. It was directly on the beach and the balcony from our room faced the ocean. We'd walk the beach each evening after it got dark, and then late at night I'd sit out there on the balcony and listen to the waves from the ocean. Absolute paradise. :)

Offline Artiste

« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2008, 10:49:32 pm »
Maybe this can be said too:
I recently heard on the radio, that at least 2 per cent or so, in USA airplanes are fake products !

So, I will not take any airplane any more, no matter from which country, since they allow FAKE items to be in their body; so how can you be assured of getting home SAFE ?

Au revoir,
hugs !

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2008, 10:55:09 pm »
Maybe this can be said too:
I recently heard on the radio, that at least 2 per cent or so, in USA airplanes are fake products !

So, I will not take any airplane any more, no matter from which country, since they allow FAKE items to be in their body; so how can you be assured of getting home SAFE ?

Au revoir,
hugs !

We have fake airplanes here? ???

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2008, 10:57:51 pm »
It sounds like it!  I was married in the Caribbean and have spent significant time there, it being so close to Florida.  My idea of fun is to go somewhere exotic ... meaning somewhere cold.  ;D

Up in Alaska, and even in places like Sweden and Finland, they have hotels made entirely out of ice... even the furniture, including the beds! I saw that on the Travel Channel one day. Since I live in Indiana, that doesn't look like much fun, but for a Floridian it might be fun and interesting. :D

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2008, 11:27:01 pm »
Most airports start on the outskirts of towns and then civilization moves in around them.  Many of the airports in the US date back to WWII and were originally air bases.

I understand this, but SOMEone has to approve the zoning and construction of roads.  SOMEone allows gas stations, child care centers, roads, neighborhoods - heck why not nuclear power plants while we're at it? - on the same line as the approach/takeoff to the runways.

You'd think someone would be farsighted enough to plan for all contingencies.

I think it was when the O'Hare airport disaster happened, that someone in my city calculated that had the plane taken off from our mid-city airport and crashed the same distance after takeoff as did the Chicago plane, it would have tore into the downtown skyscrapers a la WTC.  Not so fun thought.  :o

Offline ZK

« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2008, 12:56:00 am »
Don' watch Injest, Don't watch

&feature=related
&feature=related
&feature=related
lucky last, note the ones from our capital city Welllington
&feature=related

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2008, 01:25:09 am »
good grief! you can remember stuff from when you were a BABY??!!

I was 17 I think. Ooops! I just told my age!

We were there during Christmas vacation of 1979, so I was in St. Maarten when it turned 1980. :D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2008, 01:41:11 am »
I'm 45 Jess! I'll be 46 in September. You need to work on your math! :laugh:

Offline ZK

« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2008, 02:40:43 am »
oh like I could possibly resist!!

don't I know it
 ;D ;D ;D

Offline Artiste

« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2008, 09:09:41 pm »
David, more and more foreign criminals control everyday life now for us... even by using fake parts in airplanes in the USA, yes !!

Offline ZK

« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2008, 09:23:58 pm »
You would think there would be some sense involved in zoning around airports, but there doesn't seem to be much.  It always amazes me how people buy homes next to airports and then complain about the noise when the airport was there first.

In my city one of the most popular, newer and more exspensive suburbs is right beside the airport. The house I still own is in a cul de sac and its a back section, in the morning I used to sit outside with my cup of coffee, listen to the birds, only if the wind was blowing a certain direction would I hear any aircraft noise. Twas bliss