Author Topic: THIS is Why I Will NEVER Get on One of These Things!!!  (Read 19677 times)

Offline ZK

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: THIS is Why I Will NEVER Get on One of These Things!!!
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2008, 08:43:52 am »
Hate to tell you but thats real, its in the Dutch antilles I think, I'd love to be standing on that beach!!!!

mvansand76

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2008, 09:03:13 am »
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAfQwDizpRo&eurl=http://www.oddee.com/item_93109.aspx[/youtube]

:o :o

is THIS one a fake too??!

Yup, it's real, and it could only be Dutch (KLM)!  :laugh: I think it's Curacao....

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2008, 09:07:33 am »
Jezus! I thought landing at LaGuardia was bad...... ;)
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

mvansand76

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2008, 10:40:17 am »
Oops... it's St. Maarten!  :D

Offline optom3

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2008, 11:41:10 am »
Jezus! I thought landing at LaGuardia was bad...... ;)

Sorry,not a patch on HongKong, now that is scary!!!! Not that I had my eyes open,I was too busy saying my prayers!!!!

mvansand76

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2008, 02:15:48 pm »
Yep, it's real.  I have been there.  We arrived via ship and so didn't experience the landing, but have stood on that beach watching the aircraft.  It's just plain crazy!!

Or plane crazy!  :laugh:

I'm sorry, bad joke!

mvansand76

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2008, 03:09:39 pm »
Almost spelled it that way myself!

:laugh:

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2008, 03:20:33 pm »
Eww, that's really scary looking!  :P

747s are landing there now? We were in St. Maarten in 1979 and we landed in a 727 or a 707. I can't remember which one it was now, but it was a really scary landing. The pilot told us to buckle our seatbelts extra tight because the landing would be a very "brief". I remember he started reversing the engines before we even landed, and then slammed on the brakes because the runway was so short. Taking off was scary too, because there is a mountain not far from the end of the runway, and he had to dodge it by quickly turning the plane just after takeoff.

They had signs posted all along the beach warning people of sand blast from the jet engines. Our hotel was a little bit further down the beach from the airport so it really wasn't too much of a problem for us, but I remember we had lunch at a restaurant near the airport and that's when I saw those signs. They must have upgraded their airport since I was there. It was called Queen Juliana airport back then and it was designed for smaller airplanes. St. Maarten was just becoming a popular tourist destination when we were there, and many parts of the island were not developed yet. I'd love to go back there someday. It's a beautiful little island. We stayed on the Dutch side, in Phillipsburg. One day we drove over to the French side of the island (called St. Martin over there). There's no customs to mess with when driving from one side to the other, just a little sign welcoming you to either the Dutch side or the French side. :)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline ZK

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2008, 06:50:45 pm »
You are so lucky to have been there David, I'd love to go there. Its on my list of must go there places

I think I'd rather be on the plane than getting sand blasted.

&feature=related

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2008, 08:04:26 pm »
Who the heck picks where airports are located? >:(

I thought it was a joke at first when that plane slid off a wet runway in South America and right into a gas station and blew up.

I was thinking, "That can't be real.  It has to be a punchline.  What idiot puts a gas station at the end of an airport runway?"

And now look at this St. Maarten house of horrors.

When the Delta plane crashed at DFW airport back in the mid 80's, it crushed a car on Spur 114, the road passing by the approach path of the plane.

What if the pilot has a bad day or a bad gust of wind at the last moment?  I wouldn't want to be anywhere near that beach.