Author Topic: Esquire Magazine's Fictionalized Article Creating Controversy  (Read 6372 times)

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
This is Phillip.  I broke this article out of the news accounts thread because it deserves standalone placement.  It's creating considerable controversy because it is a fictionalized account, something Esquire subscribers are already accustomed to seeing but others may not.  An author uses news accounts and speculation and creates a fictional story based on those elements.  This should not be considered journalism. -- Phillip

Perhaps this article belongs in another section, however ESQUIRE has an article written by Heath about his last days. Of course, it's fiction, i.e. the article wasn't written by Heath, it's just speculation.  However, it's worth a read, I thought. Don't know if Heath would find it offensive.
===============================================
To write a conceivable chronicle of Heath Ledger's final days, writer Lisa Taddeo visited the actor's neighborhood, talked to the store owners and bartenders who may have seen him during his last week, and read as many accounts and rumors about the events surrounding his death as possible. She filled in the rest with her imagination. The result is what we call reported fiction. Some of the elements are true. (Ledger was in London. He was a regular at the Beatrice Inn and the Mirö Cafe. And he was infatuated with Nick Drake.) Others are not.

It becomes theatrically important, after you die, what your last few days are like.

For me, it was just like any other weekend in my life. I didn't eat a last meal, I didn't jerk off any more or any less, I didn't climb a mountain or end up swinging from a noose with Mozart's Requiem in the background. But suddenly it's important exactly what I did, because they are the last few days, and what you do in the last few days, down to your last lunch, becomes a fairy tale.

If you force me to make my last weekend a microcosm of my existence, and what my existence means to you, then I'll tell you how it went and who I played. But first things first: It was an accident. I'm not some fucked-up star who couldn't deal. I could deal; I just couldn't sleep.

Saturday

Two Jokers

10:47 P.M.

You don't say no to Jack.

It's the last Saturday night of my life. I'm in London and we've just finished a shoot on my last movie, Parnassus. It's a movie you will likely never see. I got to play a charlatan who fools this theater troupe and steals all their costumes. Every day I was in a different costume, every day a different person.

So we're done. It's late, I'm tired, and it's fucking cold here in this sneezing bitch of a city. I want to drink something warm. I want to lie down, maybe take a bath. But Jack's beckoned.

Msg: joker1 to joker2. you're in london, i'm in london. meet me at pasha for a late night tagine. 30 min. you're buying.

So it's back out into the pissing rain. Race to the Tube, through Palace Gate, pass the janky-toothed, flat-faced Brit chicks at the bar. Goose-step down the stairs into the subterranean Moroccan den.

He's sitting there with a purple scarf wrapped around his neck, holding his decapitated head in place atop his clavicle, and he's got a bottle of wine going plus two tumblers of vodka.

You're five minutes late, he says. That Marlboro-fucked voice and that unsmiling smile. They're even scarier in real life.

He shoves both tumblers in front of me. Jack likes to get sauced quick, or get you sauced, and then show you he's a bigger man by walking you out of the place. It's how he stays young.

They have these belly dancers, Jack says. There's one I'm in love with. Her name is Sueño. She says we were lovers in another life. Her name means "dream." I believe her.

You believe in reincarnation?

Fuck no. I meant about her name. I think I'll let her take me home tonight.

I look around, making eye contact with one of the belly girls and giving her the soul-eye business. Which one is she? I say. I'm taunting Jack. He's got his art, his lavish fucking career he likes to lord over me to prove something. But I've got this face. I've got an unlined neck.

The waiter arrives and Jack's pulley eyebrows order for the both of us--some vegetarian nonsense for me, the lamb tagine for him. If I'd known it was the last Saturday of my life, I wouldn't have let this cadaverous lunatic order for me. Funny, you don't regret the big things but rather the picayune bullshit. Lamb over carrots. For fuck's sake.

Jack starts telling me about the girl he picked up yesterday at Piccadilly. He says she barked like a puppy while he did her, I'm feigning young-boy adulation, like, Wow, Jack the Wolfman. Then he says, Listen kid, I asked you out here for a reason.

Yeah, what's that?

The food's come and Jack's sucking on a lamb bone like it's pussy meat--because Jack is always proving something, like, You played a gay cowboy, hooray, but I'm J. J. Gittes, I'm Jimmy Hoffa, I'm the devil. I'm the motherfuckin' Joker. I want to warn you about some shit.

The caesuras in his speech are maddening, like he's about to deliver the Newest Testament and he's waiting for you to carve every last one of his words into stone. I nod at him like, Keep talking.

Your art, kid.

What about it?

I think you're letting it lead you by the balls.

What?

Don't get all bent outta shape. I'm just sayin', you're at a crucial point now.

How's that? I ask.

See, that's the thing about Jack, you don't want to fucking listen, you're annoyed by the way he delivers his agonizingly self-masturbatory Chekhov-in-Jerry-Garcia-suspenders diatribe, but when Jack gets to the point, the point is brave.

And here's the point: I heard you kept that gay little journal for the Joker, and in this latest one you finished shooting, Gilliam told me you were talking all the usual overanxious peripatetic bullshit, like, I wanna direct, I wanna make art, not just be art. Blah, blah, blah. Forget it, kid. Jack flicks his paw in the air like he's dismissing the world.

A waiter in Moroccan garb jumps back like he's been slapped.

Jack puts down his glass, drops a clean lamb bone onto his plate. Tink. Jack cleans his plate. Always proving it. All night.

What I mean is, live your goddamn life. Fall in love again. Hell, fall in love five more times and fuck a coliseum of college chicks in between. Don't be so goddamn concerned with how you're gonna be remembered. All work and no play and all that garbage.

At that, he grabs the wine bottle like a king. I swear, there was something of royalty to him, his purple scarf, his leaning back in that velvet Moroccan settee and spreading his legs like he's got seven cocks that need room to breathe. The bottle might be mead, and here is King Arthur, laying down for me the riches of his experience. He empties the bottle and belches like a pirate. The smell of lusty lamb rushes back at me in a colorful wave.

Just then, like magic, the music gets louder, the sitar in the speakers clangs like a thousand BB pellets against hammered copper, and a six-foot Indian-haired goddess emerges from the kitchen. She has a terra-cotta stomach sunstroked with henna. She's wearing a bustier with tassels springing from its nipples like tit whiskers. She gyrates over to the table. She holds her hand out and beckons Jack with her long witchy finger. Jack the king. Jack the Joker. Jack with lamb grease wetting the regal belly of his shirt. She grabs him by the scarf and pulls him like a mutt toward the kitchen.

He turns back to me with that demented smile that was never an act. Kid, he says, forget what the world wants from you. Go live out your own fucking sueño.

And stay . . . away . . . from . . . the . . . god . . . damn . . . pills.

Sunday

Even My Mask Gets Laid

11:45 P.M.

Let me tell you something: It gets old.

This night is the apotheosis.

I get back to Manhattan in the afternoon, on an early flight from London. I want to go out. Find some of the sueño Jack was talking about. I put on my True Religion jeans that I hate myself for owning (my stylist says they make my ass look great), a hooded sweatshirt, and a ski mask.

That's right, a ski mask. That's one of the details the Daily News will agonize over in a few days. Think of it what you will, but know this: That's the kind of shit you can get away with when you're a celebrity. You can go out there in a fucking ski mask and you can still get laid. They will know your eyes from a mile off. They will smell your fame no matter how much you try to scrub it off.

The Beatrice is full of the usual: the rows of skinny girls with their knobby knees and their black-hole eyes, their whale handbags and their vole hearts. I can have any one of them I want. I can pick out the sexiest and most well-dressed one here. A thirty-something second wife dripping in diamonds like a $20,000 waterfall. Or I can pluck a young college girl in jeans and cowboy boots who says she wants to make love to my accent. I can fill some space, forget about my girls for a night.

Across the bar, sitting all alone, this one stands out. She's Thai or Malaysian or something; she's got skin like the crayon color burnt sienna. She's wearing an actual fur sweater, some kind of snow leopard. I'll find out later that her father skinned the beast for her in the Himalayas. This is a lie, but then everything about this scene is. The only real crime is pretending you're above it once you're there.

When you're a celebrity, when you're a young, good-looking celebrity with a sweet, puckish smile and an accent that makes women's knees buckle like they've been gassed, this is how you pick up a girl at a bar:

Hi, I say.

Hi, she says, smiling. Looking into the holes in my mask.

I saw you from across the room, and I kinda thought I might be in love with you tonight.

Just tonight? she says.

I have a very stringent callback policy.

Oh yeah? She swivels on her barstool to face me. She has no idea what stringent means. She's wearing a short black skirt. She uncrosses her legs, leaves them parted just an inch and a half. Like Goldilocks, she knows precisely the distance, what is too much, what is not enough, what is just right.

Oh yeah, I say. I hold my hand out to her. I smile behind the fabric. Let me buy you a drink back at my place.

She takes my hand, says she'd love one. Listener, you have to understand this: I am wearing a ski mask.

2:17 A.M.

My apartment on Broome Street is a big box, an empty theater--$23,000 a month for high ceilings, blond dance-studio floors, and large white walls. No furniture, just some skateboards and a piano. An unsheeted mattress on my bedroom floor.

I don't have any wine, so I pour us sangria, the cheap kind that was around in the seventies. Two (warm) glasses and one faucet leak of a conversation later, H. is seated at my piano bench, naked but for green heels, her hair up, her eyes closed. She plays me "F¸r Elise" because I tell her it is one of my mother's favorites, though this, too, is a lie. I stand with my third glass, watching her, and she is playing with such gusto that her chin and neck are slamming ferociously downward against the air with each hard note, and I can see behind her smoky lids that she is forcing this scene. She is more interested in drawing up the story she will tell later than she is in living in this moment with me.

I think about the show she is putting on, and I get so worked up that when we finally get to bed, I can't get it up.

That's okay, she coos in my ear. That's okay. We have our whole future for that. Just hold me.

This girl in my bed, her body is dynamite, a buttermilk ass that would win an award and a back that arches sweetly against my waist and a torso like a rocking horse. It is a body meant to be fucked, but she doesn't even care that I can't, and wouldn't at this point even if I could. She is not in bed with my soul, she is not even in bed with my body.

She's in bed with my ski mask.

Monday

My Girls

7:04 A.M.

I wake up early. I get maybe two hours of sleep, at best. I detentacle H.'s long, thin arm--slung possessively across my shoulders--and get out of bed in this naked body, and I am aware of the very physicalness of myself. I look in the mirror, and this is one of those lucky times when I don't see the movie-screen face or the love-scene body, just the grease on my face, my not-great hair, a body that is in good form, a body for sex and for running, but just as much for one as for the other.

I'm out the door before she can wake up, because there's nothing worse than seeing the splatter tattoo of mascara on the dirty-looking face of an overnight stranger. I leave a note: Lock the door on your way out. Leave your number inside the web of the dream catcher over the toilet.

There is no dream catcher over the toilet.

7:27 A.M.

I walk to Mulberry. I get the steak and eggs and a coffee for breakfast at the only place in Little Italy that's open early enough for me. I'm catching up on my e-mails. There's one from Michelle, with an attachment. It's Matilda in a little Swedish milkmaid outfit. I sit there for a while trying to think of the right thing to respond.

On Prince there is a beetle-faced Asian woman half my length with a little stand of children's T-shirts. There is a white one, Matilda-sized, that reads, "Somebody in New York Loves Me." I think, This is appropriate, because after all she isn't in New York, she's in Sweden with her mother, and wouldn't it be cool if I FedEx'ed it over? (Ignoble intentions: It wouldn't be for Matilda but for her mother.)

Just as I'm handing over a twenty, Mary-Kate calls. Her voice is a whine, and in my head I can see her big googly eyes on that drawn child-star face. She's asking about some party, will I be there, in Los Angeles. She's saying I have to be there. It'll be the party of the season. Like we are in period costumes, I am Casanova again, and she is my fetal companion.

Like all of us, I've gone through phases. I've been a young itch, I've suffocated on snatch just to see how much I could get. Then Brokeback, I fell into Michelle. I saw morning coffee in her eyes, this stable Formica future with sweet-hot sex and great lighting. And it was wonderful for a while. I used to say it was like we melted into each other's skin, like she was pouring her body inside of mine and I would hold her inside of me, so that when we wanted to make love all I had to do was wiggle my waist.

But the itch came back--I guess it always does. And Mary-Kate is not what you think. She comes off like a straw, something hollow that things pass through. But it's more an inner strength than a vapid soul. She once told me, Growing up as one half of something made me feel I had to overcompensate to be worth a whole. Then I realized it was the greatest foil. I have a built-in hiding place everywhere I go.

She's the only person in the last month who has seen me cry. She's kindred, in that she's got these issues she won't talk about that make her so damn sexy. And she never cries. Really. I've seen real fucked-up shit happen to her, and she just regards the situation like it's a cold stone and no blood should come from it. Nothing visibly flickers in those planet-sized eyes, but later she'll go home, mix herself a vicious Bloody Mary and construct this freaked-out Hockney-cum-Glatman pop art. A quad of Hannah Montana, scared and swollen-eyed, her helpless hands dahlia-red and tied up in a cat's cradle.

I tell her, You're talented. Let them see your real face.

I tell her now, on the phone, I'm sorry, I just can't make it.

11:26 A.M.

My official last meal is a banana-nut muffin. It's not even a particularly fresh one. Some advice: Look at your next muffin. Really fucking look at it. Imagine that muffin is the last bit of food you will ever stick in your mouth. If I could do it over again, I'd make sure everything I ate was an endangered animal's heart on toast with foie-gras crumbles and black-truffle shavings. I mean, fuck. A goddamn muffin.

I'm sitting here at the Mirö Cafe, and I've got a pen in hand and the New York Times Monday crossword. I've heard guys with Woody Allen glasses say that Monday's crossword is cake. Bullshit. Maybe it's because I'm not American, or maybe I'm not smart enough, but Monday is fucking impossible. I hate Mondays.

So I sit there with the pen, it's a Universal Studios pen, and instead of the right answers I just write each letter of my daughter's name in every box. Here it's a Matil. There a MatildaMat. Then just a tilda.

Soon the whole box is consumed with the letters of her name, and it's an artwork unto itself. I stare at it for a long while, until finally I see I've got all the right answers after all.

Tuesday

Rain Man Cometh

1:36 P.M.

I wake up to noises in my speakers. I have Nick Drake in my CD player; he must have been in there on a loop from last night.

But something happens on the way to eternal sleep. It's not Drake's music but his dead-man voice that comes out at me from the floor. Disembodied. Eerie, sure, but I am half asleep, and after all, I am the Joker. I'm the gay cowboy. The knight in shining armor. The high school outcast who gets the girl. I'm fucking Bob Dylan.

Drake says: I am a mourning man, too.

I'm confused by this, but I am also somewhat comforted. Because in Nick's music, I always heard the words and the melody of a fellow sleepless soul. Did you know I made a short film about his suicide? (Pills.) I'm sure E! will beat you over the head with it. The symbolism. The parallels. The DNA string of our matching pain, lyric by movie by lyric.

Listen up, he whispers. It's a dark, low whisper. It fills the room to overstuffed:

After I died, people dissected me. They put words in my mouth: This is how he felt when he wrote this, this is what he thought of me, this is why he did it. Fuck them. But also bless them. They made me famous. Immortal. Suddenly, my songs, which once were strange and ill-conceived, now were fat with meaning. When you die, you become a Virgin Mary, an untouchable exalted thing with a golden breast and a mink brow. You lose yourself, and they win you. You have no voice, and so a million people breathe and talk for you. Your art is their art. Your casket is their temple, your last words are their next ten commandments.

Remember this, he continues: When you get here, say you are Old Man River; tell them it was the River Man who sent you.

I smile. "River Man" is the title of one of my favorite songs. "Old Man River" are the words that Michelle wrote on my arm a few years back, which I later tattooed in place. They are the last words I will hear.

And that's it, it goes back to his music, haunting as a dark forest.

And I understand it. Just like that, I get it.

Tuesday

The Final Curtain

2:12 P.M.

So here it is, my last act. I'm taking it back. I'm writing it so you won't.

For those of you who will try to define part of my life by my death: Don't. I wasn't exactly fucked-up. I made movies, child ones, real ones. But I was playing. I was good at my job. I was not a knight. I was not a supervillain. I was not a harlequin. I was not the greatest lover in the world. I was a confused celebrity with a nice smile, a few good roles in my pocket, and no fucking clue what to do next.

And for those of you who will concoct stories about me: The waiter who served me breakfast on Friday, when, fuck, I was in London. The girl who tongue-kissed me by the light of Marquee on Monday, when I was alone in my room clipping my beastly toenails. Did you own me already? People saw me in places I wasn't, heard me say things I didn't.

You see, you never really saw me. You saw me in the dark, flickering onto a screen, you saw me while you stuffed your grease-licked mouth with popcorn, while you paused the DVD player to go have a piss, while your sexless wife asked you to turn that fucking thing off, while your busted lawn sprinkler of a husband told you, If Heath Ledger is so fucking great, why don't you go fuck him and ask him to pay the tuition for our moron son at Penn State.

Me, Nick, Mary-Kate, Jack. We're all ghosts. We begged you to love us, we just didn't expect it would go this far. We didn't expect you to sell a drop of our sweat on eBay or build a shrine to our testicles in what was once your child's playroom. Like all of us, we misjudged the weight of our desire. We undermined the consequences.

What I'd ask of you, out of respect, not for me--I'm deaf and blind to it now--but for the living I left, is to leave it alone. Don't investigate my last few days, because these could be your last few days. Play your own part.

And don't tell me what I did. I didn't play the piano or fuck Lindsay Lohan or fill my goody bag to the brim at the Venice Film Festival. In fact, I'm not really sure I did too much that you personally should remember, beyond make a beautiful little girl, the one thing every guy wants to be able to say he did.

So that's it, my final unedited shot: Matilda. She is what lives on. The rest is just bullshit.

Suddenly there's a scratching, like we're listening to a record, and the music drops off. It's just like that. I don't know how it will be for you, but for me, you wake up one more time and everything is really bright, like a flashbulb. Everything is clear as vodka. And then you go back to sleep again. One last punch-drunk opening of the eyes is what you get, and guess what--it's enough.

So hey, buddy, why so serious? Chin up. It's all part of the plan.

Link to the article:  http://www.esquire.com/features/heath-ledger-last-days
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 09:57:30 am by Phillip Dampier »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Esquire Magazine's Fictionalized Article Creating Controversy
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 12:10:40 pm »
from the New York Times, regarding the Esquire piece:

March 6, 2008
Esquire Publishes a Diary That Isn’t
By TIM ARANGO

After Heath Ledger was found dead in his SoHo apartment on Jan. 22, David Granger, the editor in chief of Esquire magazine, dispatched a writer named Lisa Taddeo to report on the actor’s final days.

Her article, published in the April issue, which will be on newstands next week, finds Mr. Ledger eating Moroccan food with Jack Nicholson in London, returning to New York and partying at the downtown nightspot Beatrice Inn, eating steak and eggs at a cafe in Little Italy and wolfing down a banana-nut muffin as his last morsel of food.

None of this is exactly true. “The Last Days of Heath Ledger,” written in the first person as if it were Mr. Ledger’s own diary, is a fictionalized account of his last days in London and New York and ponders the indignities of celebrity.

“It becomes theatrically important, after you die, what your last few days are like,” the article begins.

Skeptical readers might surmise that Ms. Taddeo didn’t turn up anything in her reporting and turned to a gimmick to get the story in print. But Mr. Granger insists that the piece, which is labeled fiction, is neither stunt nor gimmick.

“It’s an earnest effort,” he said, adding that the magazine has tried to tackle fiction using a nonfiction playbook before. “We’ve been trying to assign fiction,” he said, “to make it topical, relevant. To go to writers with a headline or an idea.”

The first project in this vein was published in October 2006 during the baseball playoffs and called “The Death of Derek Jeter,” an extended meditation on sports, celebrity and mortality written from the perspective of Mr. Jeter, the Yankees shortstop.

“We’ve been doing these things to try to make fiction as current and lively as we can,” Mr. Granger said, “to make it as urgent as nonfiction.”

Esquire’s history does brim with journalistic stunts. There was the 1996 cover article on Allegra Coleman, a new Hollywood “it” girl. It was a hoax. Under Mr. Granger there was the 2001 profile of the R.E.M. singer Michael Stipe, seasoned with a good dose of fiction. Then there are the mere gimmicks: Halle Berry interviewing the interviewer, Jon Stewart annotating his own profile.

In those cases the celebrities were either alive, participating or not real. In the case of Mr. Ledger the magazine was channeling someone who very recently died. To avoid accusations that the article was another stunt, Mr. Granger did not promote the article on the magazine’s cover. “I purposely didn’t want it to be seen as exploitative in any way,” he said.

Mara Buxbaum, who was Mr. Ledger’s publicist and now represents the actor’s family, declined to comment. She said the family did not know about the Esquire article until informed about it by The New York Times, after which Ms. Buxbaum called Mr. Granger’s office and was sent a copy.

After Mr. Ledger died from what was later found to be an accidental overdose of prescription medications, Mr. Granger said he was surprised at the public’s outpouring of grief for someone who, in Mr. Granger’s view, was not a huge movie star. “It was born out of curiosity,” he said of the assignment. “I didn’t understand what the fuss was all about.”

Ms. Taddeo, an associate editor at Golf Magazine and an aspiring fiction writer, spent four days in restaurants and cafes and parks near where Mr. Ledger died. Mr. Granger said he had read an unpublished novel written by Ms. Taddeo and had been looking for the right work to give her. When she first got the Ledger assignment it was unclear if the final product would be fiction or nonfiction. Mr. Granger simply wanted a writer on the scene.

Some of what she wrote is true. Mr. Ledger was in London three days before his death. He did return to New York. He did like banana nut muffins from Miro Café, though it’s not certain he ate one for his last meal.

Esquire was among the pioneers in the 1960s in promoting what became known as New Journalism, the style developed by the cadre of writers like Gay Talese, Hunter S. Thompson and Tom Wolfe who used literary techniques — buttressed by voracious reporting — to produce articles of narrative nonfiction. “Frank Sinatra Has a Cold” by Mr. Talese, published in Esquire in 1966, is considered a classic of the genre and the precursor of the modern celebrity profile.

Robert S. Boynton, who teaches magazine writing at New York University and wrote “The New New Journalism,” a collection of interviews with contemporary practitioners of the form, welcomes any innovation to an industry that he said had grown formulaic. “I think magazines should be encouraged to experiment,” he said. “The last thing any of these magazines should be doing is playing it safe.”

Martha Sherrill, a former Esquire writer — her name is still on the masthead, though she no longer writes for the magazine — who wrote the Allegra Coleman story, said the Ledger article fit within Esquire’s record of journalistic tomfoolery.

“If you have a subscription to Esquire, and you’re not on alert for this kind of thing, you’re probably not the right kind of customer,” Ms. Sherrill said. “I think we need more satire, and this is why people turn to Esquire.”

Mr. Granger has been editor of Esquire since 1997. During his tenure, circulation has risen, to 721,000 at the end of last year, according to the Audit Bureau of Circulations, from 658,000. Journalistically, it has won praise, picking up 10 National Magazine Awards under Mr. Granger’s editorship, compared with four in the decade prior to his stewardship. Its closest rival, GQ, where Mr. Granger used to work, had a circulation of 914,000.

The risk of a piece like “The Last Days of Heath Ledger” is that the work winds up in a literary no-man’s land. “The biggest problem I see is you are sacrificing the biggest strengths from each of the genres,” said Edward Wasserman, Knight professor of journalism at Washington and Lee University in Lexington, Va. “You are losing the veracity of journalism, and you are losing the imaginative license of fiction. You run the risk of ending up with something that is neither true nor interesting.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/06/books/06esqu.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=esquire+heath+ledger&st=nyt&oref=slogin
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

yb

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 06:38:16 pm »

After Mr. Ledger died from what was later found to be an accidental overdose of prescription medications, Mr. Granger said he was surprised at the public’s outpouring of grief for someone who, in Mr. Granger’s view, was not a huge movie star. “It was born out of curiosity,” he said of the assignment. “I didn’t understand what the fuss was all about.”

He'll never understand.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 07:16:16 pm »
The risk of a piece like “The Last Days of Heath Ledger” is that the work winds up in a literary no-man’s land. “The biggest problem I see is you are sacrificing the biggest strengths from each of the genres,” said Edward Wasserman, Knight professor of journalism at Washington and Lee University in Lexington, Va. “You are losing the veracity of journalism, and you are losing the imaginative license of fiction. You run the risk of ending up with something that is neither true nor interesting.

This quote really says it, for me. I started to read the piece, and unlike some people I'll have to say I actually found it fairly well-written in terms of its prose. But the fact that it's not true makes it so boring! Who cares what this writer imagines, on the basis of some cursory reporting and outright confabulation, might have been going through Heath's mind? The writer probably knows no more about Heath than we do. Ho-hum!

As fiction, about a fictional character who might resemble Heath but isn't identified as such, it might have been more interesting, because then we'd go into it with different expectations.

It's like anti-James Frey. If you read A Million Little Pieces (which I didn't, and haven't) before it was revealed to be partly invented, presumably it seemed interesting because you considered it to be true. But going into this, knowing from the get-go that it's NOT true ... what's the point?

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 04:53:54 am »
I don't believe Heath would have said nasty shit about people he didn't even know.  This doesn't ring true.  But she's allowed to write it.  But why would Esquire publish it? 

mvansand76

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 08:46:58 am »
There is something really sick about somebody writing in the first person about somebody she has never met after he died. I can't read this shit. It's highly offensive to his family, to Michelle and to Matilda. And Heath is not there anymore to have a say against this. It's a breach of privacy after the person has died, which makes it all even worse.

Offline BlissC

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • There ain't never enough time...
    • NeonBlue Dreams
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 11:09:52 am »
There is something really sick about somebody writing in the first person about somebody she has never met after he died. I can't read this shit. It's highly offensive to his family, to Michelle and to Matilda. And Heath is not there anymore to have a say against this. It's a breach of privacy after the person has died, which makes it all even worse.

Agreed.

I read the first few paragraphs of the article and then just couldn't read any more.Talking about his work and the characters he played is one thing, but trying to fictionalise him is indeed an insult to him, his family, to Michelle and Matilda. With all the talk and the speculation, and now fictionalised rubbish like this, I can't help but think of the line from Elton John's "Candle in the wind",

Hollywood created a superstar
And pain was the price you paid
Even when you died
Oh the press still hounded you

The media vultures haven't learned anything, and things like this just show how heartless and immoral some sections of the media are.

"No matter how hard you try, You're still in prison, If ya born with wings and you never fly."

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 11:15:09 am »
It has come to my attention that some people complained to Ellemeno about the presence of the Esquire article on the news banner.  I am the one responsible for placing it on the news banner.

The news banner on this forum is about... well, news.  Whether you like this article or not, it is probably one of the last remaining big stories about Heath that have broken through the mainstream press.  Our news banner is partly to bring such matters to the attention of the community.  Now, whether you like the article or not is another matter, and you are free to add your two cents on that matter as part of this thread.  But I've asked Ellemeno not to honor such requests going forward.  Whether or not you like the article is not a justification for its removal from the news banner. 
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 12:22:44 pm »
I agree with its placement in the banner. It's interesting, even if disgusting.

And Heath is not there anymore to have a say against this. It's a breach of privacy after the person has died, which makes it all even worse.

Yes, what's more of a breach of privacy and/or libel than pretending to report what goes on in someone's head? And then when that someone isn't around to protest or even contradict seems really unfair.

I don't believe Heath would have said nasty shit about people he didn't even know.  This doesn't ring true.

That was my reaction, too. It doesn't sound like Heath. But then I thought, well, how the hell do I know what Heath really sounded like? But THEN I thought, well, how the hell does she? That's the futility of the whole exercise.

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 01:00:02 pm »
IMO this is another example of journalism's long descent into gimmickry. Too bad the author chose that route -- if she'd written this as a story about a fictional actor, Heath fans might have recognized the source but the fictionalizing could have served as a plot device and people could judge the story on its merits and/or demerits.  And that wouldn't exactly be a revolutionary device; it's worked on Law and Order for years and in literature and theatre in general for who knows how long.

That said, it doesn't surprise me.  Any illusions I ever had about our infotainment media got pretty much cremated and a stone put up after the 1996 Olympics -- we were there, and it was astounding how little the coverage had to do with anything that was actually happening.

And none of us are exactly unfamiliar with this, are we? It's basically jazzed-up RPS, and IMO you can dress that up but you can't take it out.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2008, 03:50:09 pm »
if she'd written this as a story about a fictional actor, Heath fans might have recognized the source but the fictionalizing could have served as a plot device and people could judge the story on its merits and/or demerits.  And that wouldn't exactly be a revolutionary device; it's worked on Law and Order for years and in literature and theatre in general for who knows how long.

That's exactly what I was thinking. A roman à clef with characters recognizable from real life, but which can also stand as fiction on its own strengths, is fine. But fiction that coyly half-feigns being "journalism" isn't.