Author Topic: Kerry's Visit to Heath at the Archibald  (Read 25554 times)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
Kerry's Visit to Heath at the Archibald
« on: March 08, 2008, 08:18:39 am »
Kerry’s Visit to Heath at the Archibald

A Photo-Essay

I make the short five-minute drive from my home and park in Goulburn Street, at the southern end of Sydney’s Central Business District. I walk northward up the Elizabeth Street hill and enter Hyde Park at the corner of Elizabeth & Liverpool Streets.

I walk northward along Hyde Park’s central avenue, bordered by towering Moreton Bay fig trees.

I come to the Archibald Fountain, named after the same Jules Francois (John Feltham) Archibald, after whom the Archibald Prize is also named. I’ve loved this fountain since childhood, with its beautiful statues inspired by classical mythology. This photo shows Apollo with his lyre and Diana with her bow.

One of my favourite sculptures comprising the Archibald Fountain’s statuary is this dramatic depiction of Theseus slaying the Minotaur. St Mary’s Cathedral can be seen in the background.

I exit Hyde Park, cross College Street, pass by St Mary’s Cathedral and enter the Domain, with its impeccably manicured gardens, via Art Gallery Road. A statue of Robbie Burns can be seen on the right (scroll over --->).

As I follow the gentle curve of Art Gallery Road, I eventually glimpse the Art Gallery of New South Wales through the trees in the near distance. The grand, neo-classical, western portico, with its towering Ionic columns, is clearly visible in this photo. If I were to continue walking along Art Gallery Road, I would, in time, come to the highly ornate entrance gates leading to the Royal Botanical Gardens and Sydney Harbour.

The gallery’s entrance is flanked by two enormous equestrian statues, also much loved by me since childhood. This one is titled, “The Offerings of War.” To give you an idea of their size, I am just under 6ft in height and the top of my head comes to that horse’s hoof!

And so, I climb the steps and enter the gallery’s main vestibule.

Once inside, I am advised by an attendant that I am unable to take photo’s of the paintings in the Archibald exhibition. The reason given is that, “The paintings in the Archibald exhibition are owned by each individual artist, not by the gallery.” I must appear disappointed, because the attendant seems to take sympathy on me and adds, “You can take photo’s anywhere else in the public areas of the gallery, just not in the Archibald exhibition, but please don’t use flash.”  I’m not really disappointed because I already have a beautiful copy of the painting I’ve come to see, thanks to the Internet. In fact, I have copies of all the paintings in the Archibald exhibition, which I am happy to share with you, via the official Art Gallery of NSW website:

http://www.thearchibaldprize.com.au/finalists/archibald

After an enjoyable couple of hours of escapism, I leave the gallery and walk back along Art Gallery Road, from whence I came; back, alas, to the world of cold hard reality.

And so, back through the Domain’s great southern gates, and I’ll soon be back at my car and home again, after a most enjoyable visit to “Heath” (the portrait by Vincent Fantauzzo) at the Archibald.

Thank you, Mr Archibald!

The End
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 10:29:36 pm by Kerry »
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

mvansand76

Re: Kerry's Visit to Heath at the Archibald
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 08:40:58 am »
Thank you for this, Kerry.... Sad to hear that you weren't able to take pics of the paintings... Hope the experience was good for you despite that....

Sydney looks like a city I would feel at home in within seconds...  :D

Love, Mel  :-*

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 09:43:25 am »
Thank you for this, Kerry.... Sad to hear that you weren't able to take pics of the paintings... Hope the experience was good for you despite that....

Sydney looks like a city I would feel at home in within seconds...  :D

Love, Mel  :-*

You would feel very at home here, Melissa. There are lots of Dutch people in Sydney. Many came here from Indonesia in the 1950s.  :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 10:06:31 am »
Kerry,

Thank you so much for all those pictures! J

You just put Sydney on my "bucket list"...

Bruce
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 10:09:01 am »
Thank you for this report Kerry  :-* Lots of beautiful pictures, even if you weren't able to take photos of the exhibition itself. It's great to see a foreign city through the eyes of someone who lives there. Much more personal and therefore more interesting than looking at pics in a travel guide.

I'm astonished how 'familiar' everything looks to me. Looks very European. Except the road signs are on the wrong side  ;D.

One of my favourite sculptures comprising the Archibald Fountain’s statuary is this dramatic depiction of Theseus slaying the Minotaur. St Mary’s Cathedral can be seen in the background.

FRiend Lee will love the ancient 'steer wrestler'.  :)

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 10:23:38 am »
Thank you for this report Kerry  :-* Lots of beautiful pictures, even if you weren't able to take photos of the exhibition itself. It's great to see a foreign city through the eyes of someone who lives there. Much more personal and therefore more interesting than looking at pics in a travel guide.

I'm astonished how 'familiar' everything looks to me. Looks very European. Except the road signs are on the wrong side  ;D.

FRiend Lee will love the ancient 'steer wrester'.  :)

It looks familiar to me too.  It looks like Boston!
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 10:36:09 am »
Kerry,

Thank you so much for all those pictures! J

You just put Sydney on my "bucket list"...

Bruce

I'm very glad you enjoyed them, Bruce, even though I'm not entirely sure what a "bucket list" is haha.  ???   :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

mvansand76

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 10:47:42 am »

It looks familiar to me too.  It looks like Boston!

I agree! I went to Boston last year and I absolutely LOVED it...  :D

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 10:52:08 am »

FRiend Lee will love the ancient 'steer wrester'.  :)

Sydney is my home town, where I was born, and I love it to bits. It is generally a very "Western" city; however, having said that, you would get an entirely different impression of the city if I posted pictures of the recent Chinese New Year Parade. Or if I posted pics from last weekend's Gay & Lesbian Mardi Gras for that matter. The Art Gallery is in the older, more "establishment" part of town. Like most modern cities, Sydney is an exciting, multi-faceted place. I'm glad you enjoyed the pics.  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 11:30:40 am »
I'm very glad you enjoyed them, Bruce, even though I'm not entirely sure what a "bucket list" is haha.  ???   :D

I was wondering about how well that idiom would travel. 

It's a list of the things to do before you die ("kick the bucket").

(It's the name of Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman's latest movie.)