Author Topic: Shelter: The "gay surfer movie" (it's so much more!). See it now and discuss it!  (Read 323983 times)

mvansand76

Often times I find myself caught someplace between appreciating how fortunate I am I don't have to deal with such issues too much, and wondering what it must be like to have to put up with stuff like that.

(and a third path: wonder what I'm missing?)

Do you mean when you watch the movie?

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Do you mean when you watch the movie?

Nah, when I think about (and this is my perception of the situation) that the US is at the center of everything, and we fall short when it comes to things like formats, and customs and languages and outlooks. We don't do enough to bridge the gap with the rest of the world.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

mvansand76

Nah, when I think about (and this is my perception of the situation) that the US is at the center of everything, and we fall short when it comes to things like formats, and customs and languages and outlooks. We don't do enough to bridge the gap with the rest of the world.

Yeah, I agree with you...  :-\

• BetterMost Supporter!
But at least we as a community now seem like we can circumvent the format problem.

Hey did you notice when Zach starts getting inspired to paint again he is not doing tags of industrial scenes, but a large mural of a great sheltering tree?

mvansand76

But at least we as a community now seem like we can circumvent the format problem.

Hey did you notice when Zach starts getting inspired to paint again he is not doing tags of industrial scenes, but a large mural of a great sheltering tree?

Yeah! And it alomst looks like a tree of life too, doesn't it? Also, he doesn't need the stencils anymore, he's free!

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old

I'm intrigued by that ring he's wearing on his right hand. I couldn't find a clear picture of it. *looks expectantly at Mel*  ;)
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

• BetterMost Supporter!
And what about the right on a chain that he is wearing around his neck? Maybe that is his mothers wedding band?

mvansand76

I'm intrigued by that ring he's wearing on his right hand. I couldn't find a clear picture of it. *looks expectantly at Mel*  ;)

;D I am going to get the .avi file on a DVD next week or so, then I will be able to freeze it and look for you!  :-*

Yeah, the ring on a chain (let me just check the ennisjack screencaps lol)......

Nah, can't get a clear enough picture of it... Nice idea that it's his mother's wedding band.....

:)

Offline mactwck

• Don't Say Much
OMG I love this movie.I have here!tv and I have sen it a bunch of times.  I can not wait fot the dvd to come out.  Maybe they will have deleted scenes.

I have read the whole thread and I have so many thoughts and everything but they are really jumbled.

Somebody ask me a question about the movie or what I thought so I can just answer one thing at a time.

I do not see this as a anit brokeback.  I see it as a possibility in this day and age.  Hopefully we have come a long way from the 1960's when it was not even talked about.

I thnk that Zach had leanings that way and knew about Shaun and maybe had "fantasies" about him so when they had the arguement in the car he was saying how HE (Zach) felt but lashed out at Shaun and turned it on him. Sort of like the guy at school who calls every one "fag" because he does not want anyone to know that he is.  Make sense?
Michelle

Offline Toycoon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
OMG I love this movie.I have here!tv and I have sen it a bunch of times.  I can not wait fot the dvd to come out.  Maybe they will have deleted scenes.

I have read the whole thread and I have so many thoughts and everything but they are really jumbled.

Somebody ask me a question about the movie or what I thought so I can just answer one thing at a time.

I do not see this as a anit brokeback.  I see it as a possibility in this day and age.  Hopefully we have come a long way from the 1960's when it was not even talked about.

I thnk that Zach had leanings that way and knew about Shaun and maybe had "fantasies" about him so when they had the argument in the car he was saying how HE (Zach) felt but lashed out at Shaun and turned it on him. Sort of like the guy at school who calls every one "fag" because he does not want anyone to know that he is.  Make sense?
Michelle

I assumed that Zach was projecting his personal difficulty with homosexuality onto Shaun as well.
Zach seemed to know a LOT about Shaun and his life well before Gabe even figured it all out.
I didn't see this as the Anti-Brokeback at all. I don't understand why both stories can't co-exist peacefully.
Michelle, I think you would like the '96 British film, "Get Real". It is along the lines of "Shelter", both movies are excellent.
"The most important thing is being sincere, even if you have to fake it." - Cesar Romero