Author Topic: Proulx "these characters began to get very damn real"  (Read 24082 times)

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Proulx "these characters began to get very damn real"
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2008, 05:17:08 pm »
We may think of Ennis not talking that much!

He does say things...

and ones we remember well, right??

Plus, his looks at Jack... are like talks, I feel.

That makes him more real to me!!

You understand?

Hugs!

A picture paints a thousand words,and so do the shy smiles and looks of Ennis.

Offline BlissC

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • There ain't never enough time...
    • NeonBlue Dreams
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2008, 08:44:41 pm »
A picture paints a thousand words,and so do the shy smiles and looks of Ennis.

So true. I think they could have spent the whole film just communicating in looks and smiles and not said a word (kinda like a variation on the old silent movies) and they'd still have had the same impact.

"No matter how hard you try, You're still in prison, If ya born with wings and you never fly."

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2008, 08:51:47 pm »
Thanks bliss, thanks optom!!

I agree with you two!!

So, in a way it's a Marcel Marceau movie this BM film? He was real!!

Why?

I have an idea!

Hugs, hugs!!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2008, 09:14:49 pm »
That is such a good analogy.I love it.I have struggled to put into words what seeing the film for the 1st time was like,and it is exactly like first love.I stiil love/ache with every subsequent viewing,but although other films may well affect me in the future,they will never replicate that BBM experience.It is a treasured memory and experience.And indeed a closely guarded precious thing.Just like my first love,certain,songs or smells or other things remind me of BBM.It is like a comforter which I hug to myself from time to time.
Thankyou for so eloquently describing it for me.

You are entirely welcome, I am delighted to share with you the deeply moving experience that Brokeback has been for me.  :)

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2008, 09:15:44 pm »
I love this.

thank you, I have spoken from my heart.  :)

Offline optom3

« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2008, 09:21:09 pm »
Thanks bliss, thanks optom!!

I agree with you two!!

So, in a way it's a Marcel Marceau movie this BM film? He was real!!

Why?

I have an idea!

Hugs, hugs!!

I used to love watching Marcel Marceau.Another clever idea of yours. I wonder if some of Ang's culture creeps into his directing.After all the culture he is from, uses a lot of dance and mime,with little or no spoken words,to convey very elaborate tales.It would be perfectly feasible that Ang took these elements  and wove them into the film,particularly with the looks, and shy/sly glances ,between Jack and Ennis.Not forgetting the smiles.He is definitely a less is more director,and the closed nature of the relationship,and Ennis in particular,lends iself perfectly to something that is almost akin to mime.

These discusions never cease to amaze me the turns they take.It is like thinking you know a road really well,because you drive down it every day.Then one day your car breaks down and you decide to walk.All of a sudden,there is a whole new perspective,and the familiar road,is now seen completely differently.Interesting!!!

Offline BlissC

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • There ain't never enough time...
    • NeonBlue Dreams
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2008, 04:57:42 pm »
These discusions never cease to amaze me the turns they take.It is like thinking you know a road really well,because you drive down it every day.Then one day your car breaks down and you decide to walk.All of a sudden,there is a whole new perspective,and the familiar road,is now seen completely differently.Interesting!!!

That's what I love about this place - it's like a never-ending English Lit debate, but with a story you love rather than something the teacher made you read for homework. Long may it continue!

"No matter how hard you try, You're still in prison, If ya born with wings and you never fly."

Offline optom3

« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2008, 07:16:30 pm »
That's what I love about this place - it's like a never-ending English Lit debate, but with a story you love rather than something the teacher made you read for homework. Long may it continue!

Could not agree more!!! Chaucer and the like at school,killed my love of literature for so long,I took a completely different road to science,instead.
Endless disecting of works which had no relevance or resonance for me,yawn!!! BBM has re awkened my love of the written word,albeit, bittersweet. It also keeps me occupied now I no longer work,while ensuring my brain cells do not completely,atrophy.

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2008, 07:27:06 pm »
Now, finally we have again a story with real like persons: Annie's one!

And so real like Ennis and Jack, Alma and Lureen... in the BM movie!

1 + 1 = a great one!!

Rewarding these actors and actresses, and you all in the production, and in viewers: rose of Love and Oeace!!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2008, 11:22:09 pm »
Now, finally we have again a story with real like persons: Annie's one!

And so real like Ennis and Jack, Alma and Lureen... in the BM movie!

1 + 1 = a great one!!

Rewarding these actors and actresses, and you all in the production, and in viewers: rose of Love and Oeace!!

I love roses, those are so beautiful I can almost smell them.