Author Topic: Proulx "these characters began to get very damn real"  (Read 24141 times)

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Proulx "these characters began to get very damn real"
« Reply #70 on: March 28, 2008, 11:45:37 pm »
Thanks optom!

Ennis and Jack never returned to Brokeback?

Why?

It seems like Brokeback in the film?

Hugs!

My take is that Brokeback was seen as perfect by both of them.They had no ties,it was pefect.It would have been difficult to recapture that same spirit again.I think there was an unspoken agreement to keep it like that.A perfect memory,unsulied by wives,age etc.I had a pefect place too and we never went back.We could not bear it not being that perfect again.It was better left as a memory.Where nothing could change it.
Just curious,do you have a perfect place.You don't need to tell.I just hope you do.
Everyone should have one perfect moment,to keep them warm and smiling when things get tough.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #71 on: March 29, 2008, 01:47:46 am »
I think AP kept them away from Brokback because Brokeback is supposed to be something unreachable. Brokeback is where they both want to go back to but never can, and I guess not letting them go back there, even physically  is the authors way of highlightning that fact.

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #72 on: April 02, 2008, 10:11:26 pm »
Thanks byffymon, thanks optom!!

To me, if they would have returned to Brokeback Mountain, I think that Ennis would have lived forever after with Jack!  Maybe... in time?

What do you think??

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Mandy21

« Reply #73 on: April 03, 2008, 12:11:03 am »
My take is that Brokeback was seen as perfect by both of them.They had no ties,it was pefect.It would have been difficult to recapture that same spirit again.I think there was an unspoken agreement to keep it like that.A perfect memory,unsulied by wives,age etc.I had a pefect place too and we never went back.We could not bear it not being that perfect again.It was better left as a memory.Where nothing could change it.
Just curious,do you have a perfect place.You don't need to tell.I just hope you do.
Everyone should have one perfect moment,to keep them warm and smiling when things get tough.

Fiona, it's beautiful and interesting that you would say these words.  I had the question posed to me recently about favorite moments with people, and I spent a huge amount of time thinking of every single person I ever loved and my most favorite moment with them.  I could come up with all of them except for my two greatest male loves in my life, Bobby, whom I've loved from first moment and every moment since, for the last 12 years, and Michael, my Irish ex-fiance, whom I've known for the last 6.  When I started asking myself about my favorite moments with those two men, I came up with several thousand about Bobby, and a couple thousand about Michael.

My favorite moments with people are so magical, I've been so blessed.

If I was forced to pick one moment in my entire lifetime that was perfect, it would be the moment I was standing on a cliff in Topanga Canyon, California, and Bobby was standing behind me.  It was most definitely quite a drop down, would have been the death of me, and I'm terrified of heights, and yet I let this married man that I love stand right behind me, with the opportunity to rid himself of me.  But of course, what he did instead, was wrap his arms around me, and hold me safe and still.

That was many years ago, and many years we've loved since.

If I said the word, he'd be mine.

Just haven't said the word.

But I do know, forever and always, that he will hold me safe and still.
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline optom3

« Reply #74 on: April 03, 2008, 09:58:51 am »
Fiona, it's beautiful and interesting that you would say these words.  I had the question posed to me recently about favorite moments with people, and I spent a huge amount of time thinking of every single person I ever loved and my most favorite moment with them.  I could come up with all of them except for my two greatest male loves in my life, Bobby, whom I've loved from first moment and every moment since, for the last 12 years, and Michael, my Irish ex-fiance, whom I've known for the last 6.  When I started asking myself about my favorite moments with those two men, I came up with several thousand about Bobby, and a couple thousand about Michael.

My favorite moments with people are so magical, I've been so blessed.

If I was forced to pick one moment in my entire lifetime that was perfect, it would be the moment I was standing on a cliff in Topanga Canyon, California, and Bobby was standing behind me.  It was most definitely quite a drop down, would have been the death of me, and I'm terrified of heights, and yet I let this married man that I love stand right behind me, with the opportunity to rid himself of me.  But of course, what he did instead, was wrap his arms around me, and hold me safe and still.

That was many years ago, and many years we've loved since.

If I said the word, he'd be mine.

Just haven't said the word.

But I do know, forever and always, that he will hold me safe and still.

Your magic moment sounds so like mine.I never had the courage though to say the one word.Someting I regret to this day.It seemed the right thing to do at the time.Now I am just full of regrets.I guess that is why BBM got to me so badly,i just felt like watching Ennis I was watching myself.No happy ending for him or me.

Offline Mandy21

« Reply #75 on: April 03, 2008, 10:48:28 am »
Now, don't be daft, Fiona.  Sounds to me like you are a brilliant and fascinating woman, and you've brought three other very interesting souls into this world, plus you have a husband, plus you've taken a chance moving to our country when you could have stayed in the U.K., safe and sound.

I'm 42, and I come home every day to a houseplant, and that's all.

If I were you, I would consider myself blessed for the things you have, all the people in your life who love you.  "No happy ending" -- what a silly thought for a woman like you to feel.

What do you plan on doing tomorrow to celebrate Heath's birthday?  I plan on watching BBM for the 50th time, and "A Knight's Tale", and perhaps "Four Feathers".  Just to celebrate his life, and remember what could have been...

Thanks again for expressing your thoughts; they really touched me.
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Artiste

« Reply #76 on: April 03, 2008, 11:02:47 am »
Merci Mandy!

Everyone takes their turn to be sad!!

Optom is a wonderful person as you know Mandy!

Your encouragement is wonderful!!

We all take turn to think how sad Ennis must be at the end of the BM movie!!

That is one reason that I would like a BM II where such sadness can be replaced somehow with joys!!

At times, Ennis and Jack, Alma and Lureen, are too real-like to us!! Everyone does their lives as we can and as we please when it's possible!! Better to remember the song: Qu'est-ce sera, sera; whatever will be, will be and somehow get back to being HAPPY again... and HAPPIER and HAPPIER!!

Take care Mandy, optom, and you all too,
au revoir,
hugs!!  Many and optom, ever thought of getting a pet, a dog, a cat or a fish?? Dog and fish helps mother and I... be happier!! Everyday!! Or join Optimist club, do they still exists??

Offline Artiste

« Reply #77 on: April 03, 2008, 11:04:53 am »
Or join a laughing club your way?

Or create one?

Hugs!!

Offline Mandy21

« Reply #78 on: April 03, 2008, 11:17:20 am »
Merci Mandy!

Everyone takes their turn to be sad!!

Optom is a wonderful person as you know Mandy!

Your encouragement is wonderful!!

We all take turn to think how sad Ennis must be at the end of the BM movie!!

That is one reason that I would like a BM II where such sadness can be replaced somehow with joys!!

At times, Ennis and Jack, Alma and Lureen, are too real-like to us!! Everyone does their lives as we can and as we please when it's possible!! Better to remember the song: Qu'est-ce sera, sera; whatever will be, will be and somehow get back to being HAPPY again... and HAPPIER and HAPPIER!!

Take care Mandy, optom, and you all too,
au revoir,
hugs!!  Many and optom, ever thought of getting a pet, a dog, a cat or a fish?? Dog and fish helps mother and I... be happier!! Everyday!! Or join Optimist club, do they still exists??

Thanks, Artiste.  You've expressed before on another post how important happiness, laughing, smiling is to you, and I appreciate that.  I've got plenty of things in my life that make me happy -- a dear mother, good friends, a couple of boyfriends who keep me entertained, a new job I'm starting next Tuesday after not having worked for 2-1/2 years, movies of Heath.  I had a betta (sp?) fish years ago, killed it by overfeeding it.  Recently I cat-sit for my oldest girlfriend Angie (whose cousin was/is Rock Hudson whom I met and supped with as a young girl), Sammy was 19 years old, she gave him to me cause she was scared of her two young daughters seeing a dead/dying thing for the first time, and she knew I could handle that, having been through seeing death myself, animals and people, so many times.  I kept him with me for 3 weeks and 2 days, but he had been an outdoor cat all his life, and my back yard is not fully fenced, so I couldn't let him run free, and so I gave him back to my girlfriend.  I think running free is just about the most important thing in life, so it devastated me to hear his longing howls every time he looked out one of my windows.  It was the right thing to do for all of us, especially him.

I enjoy your flower pictures.  Here in Missouri, the jonquils have just started blooming...
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Artiste

« Reply #79 on: April 03, 2008, 11:24:33 am »
Merci Mandy!

Great posts!!

Snow is still here where 2 inches did fall two days ago, and some jonquills heads are strarting to come out where flakes melted close to the house, so Spring wants to spring into our lives again!!

Any laughing club your way?

BM movie are so close to us, that we need to laugh at times to balance that!! Right?

Keep care,
hugs!