Author Topic: "Coming Out" as a Brokie.......  (Read 7875 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: "Coming Out" as a Brokie.......
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2008, 02:31:59 pm »
That sounds pretty extreme that he asked you to put your Brokeback books away!  What did you do or say to that?

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2008, 05:58:30 pm »
That sounds pretty extreme that he asked you to put your Brokeback books away!  What did you do or say to that?

Yes I was really thown.When we got in the car,my daughter age 9 said well he doesn't like BBM does he!!!!!
What I did was sat in the next room to the room where he was testing daughters I.Q with door open, I left my door open.Deliberately picked up the book,plugged in the soundtrack on my MP3 player and read it.
When he entered half way through,as daughter was given a break,I just placed it down cover outermost, and politely, with clenched teeth answered his questions about my daughter.
When he had finished I made a big deal of picking up book again and engrossing myself in it.
I was truly shocked.An educated man with a masters in psychology whose own parents had so been the victims of Hitlers Jewish hatred.I was to use an English expression Gobsmacked.
What was worse was he made it plain he thought I was an idiot for reading it,no words necessary,just a look of utter disdain.I was totally disgusted.I then gave my daughter a brief edited precis of the story,and all she said was 'That's so sad",pretty much what my middle son had said.Thank goodness my own kids are open minded and free from prejudice.If I get nothing else right with them I will consider that a major achievement.
The good thing was my daughters I.Q. tested high enough for her to go to the gifted school.
It was soured by his behaviour though.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2008, 01:14:03 pm »
very interesting thread, and very interesting to read everyone´s experiences

My experience was more of a non experience. sure there are Swedish anti-gay/anti-bbm people but the whole thing has been pretty de-dramatized here. I have always make my obsessions clear to the world, actually I think I tend to flaunt them. I´m proud of them and I put up pictures of them at work etc.
I have had a few discussions though, whenever I meet someone who is anti-gay it seems it´s fysically impossible for me to shut up, and I always take the fight. But if there´s one thing I´ve learned is that it´s impossible to win that kind of argument. Those individuals must come to see the light for themselves, still it seems, I can never manage not to say something.
And then the church is not a force to be reckon with here, and myself nor my family are religious, so I don´t have those issues to deal with either.