Author Topic: One thing I have learned as a result of this wonderful story....  (Read 2295 times)

Offline THE WINGS

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Perhaps I should qualify my subject heading, by saying that this is something that I have always known, but never acknowledged.  Please bear with me, as this may seem a bit convoluted.  What I have learned from this story and film, is that regardless of whether you are "straight" OR "gay" you can have a close, even intimate (not necessarily sexual) relationship with another human being, EVEN of the same gender.  It is interesting to note,(the 'Bible-thumping' rhetoric from the conservative 'RIGHT', notwithstanding), that such a thing has existed, even in Bible times.  It is clearly expressed in the Bible that the relationship between David and Jonathan, was extremely close.  Some, of course have tried to intimate that their's may have been a sexual relationship, being that David wrote that his love for Jonathan 'my brother' was 'more than that of the love from women'.  It should be noted that Jonathan was probably 30 years older than David.  Their bond was based on their overwhelming MUTUAL DEVOTION TO GOD.  This even transcended the beautiful attraction, or "erotic" love between a man and a woman.  So what I have taken away from Brokeback Mountain, is that you can have a very close relationship with someone of your own gender, as I'm sure Jake and Heath probably had, without anything sexual  being involved, or even remotely implied. Although in this story indeed, it ultimately proved  the case, yet, it must be said, this was  NOT THE DRIVING FORCE behind the relationship.  There are many examples which come to mind: One of which I think of is the relationship between world-champion bullrider Lane Frost and Tuff Hedeman.  Their friendship was so strong, that Tuff was even motivated to ride 16 seconds, for Lane, on a bull at the National Finals Rodeo, the following December after Lane's death.  To me, that is true friendship, and yes, dare I say it?.... LOVE, between two MEN.  Enough said....

Hopefully, this makes some sort of sense to y'all.

THE WINGS
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 02:30:46 pm by THE WINGS »

Offline BlissC

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • There ain't never enough time...
    • NeonBlue Dreams
Re: One thing I have learned as a result of this wonderful story....
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 08:00:27 am »
Hopefully, this makes some sort of sense to y'all.

Indeed it does. Just one of the many "messages" of the story, and why it works on so many levels.

"No matter how hard you try, You're still in prison, If ya born with wings and you never fly."