Author Topic: misconceptions  (Read 14223 times)

Offline forsythia12

• Brokeback Got Me Good
misconceptions
« on: March 16, 2008, 12:56:25 am »
i can't remember where i saw or read this interview.......maybe oprah?  anyways, jake g. said after the movie people were coming up to him saying "wow....in the movie, you were like 'the woman' of the relationship, and heath was like the man"....and jake said, "when i heard that, i was like what are you talking about?"  (or,in other words, WTF?) 
so, i'm asking my fellow brokies what's the biggest misconception, or most off the wall thing someone has ever said to you, or thought about you, regarding your sexuality, your beliefs, your personality, your sexual orientation, your race, your disorder, or anything else that is often thrown in a box and labelled by the general public?

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
Re: misconceptions
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 03:33:10 am »
I am very aware of my "true blue, dinky-di, gidday how ya goin' mate" Aussie accent, so was quite flabergasted one time, when someone asked me if I was South African.   ::) ::)
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline forsythia12

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 01:28:04 pm »
I am very aware of my "true blue, dinky-di, gidday how ya goin' mate" Aussie accent, so was quite flabergasted one time, when someone asked me if I was South African.   ::) ::)

ha ha. lol.  i could see myself asking something like that.  i can be awfully dumb when it comes to accents.  ....but, australian is kinda obvious.

i've been  asked how often i say "eh" and "isn't canada always just covered in snow?  is there igloos and stuff?"

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 02:28:30 pm »
I was with a group of people one in a northern city in the US and was asked where I was from . I told them Virginia and then I was asked if I had a maid.

I wish I had been fast enough to say: "According to Neil Young I need one."
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline forsythia12

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 02:49:59 pm »
I was with a group of people one in a northern city in the US and was asked where I was from . I told them Virginia and then I was asked if I had a maid.

I wish I had been fast enough to say: "According to Neil Young I need one."

lol.  good one!  funny what people think.

i'm wondering, from the quote from jake. g. in the first post, has anyone had experiences with misconceptions about being gay?  like that 'man/woman role' or anything else?

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 03:00:29 pm »

I was once telling a friend about a sensitivity-training session I'd attended at work (everyone was required to go), where we were asked to talk about the first time we met someone of a different race. I grew up in an almost all-white middle-class suburb, so I didn't have any black classmates until high school.

When I mentioned that to my friend, who also grew up in a Midwestern suburb but in a city further South and a wealthier family, she asked, "Well, what about your maid??"

It was so funny! Little did my friend know that a) nobody I knew as a kid, even families far richer than mine, had full-time maids and b) if they did employ any cleaning person whatsoever, like maybe to come in for a couple of hours once a week or something, s/he would almost certainly have been white.

Offline MsMercury

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 08:12:48 pm »
Misconceptions? Well people assume because I'm southern that I'm ignorant and slept with my brother or my cousins.  :laugh:
I can't believe people assume such a thing! Marrying within the bloodline was a European thing too. It kept the royal bloodline going. I remember one of my teachers in high school talking about it and saying, "Can you imagine some of the kings and queens they must have had being the products of incest??"  I remember watching Gone With the Wind and the mention of people marrying their cousins. I don't know the history very well but I think well to do families did that in the south many years ago. I'm not entirely sure so don't hold me to that. I've lived in the south all my life and have never net anyone who married a cousin!

Offline Katie77

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 09:31:43 pm »
Misconceptions? Well people assume because I'm southern that I'm ignorant and slept with my brother or my cousins.  :laugh:
I can't believe people assume such a thing! Marrying within the bloodline was a European thing too. It kept the royal bloodline going.

And if you look at some of them in the Royal Family there is plenty of justification in NOT continuing with the practice....

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 09:36:13 pm »
When I moved from Illinois to Connecticut right at the beginning of high school... the kids in my CT high school just couldn't get their heads around what it meant to be from a Chicago suburb.  They thought I grew up on a farm, milking cows and raising corn... literally a lot of them did. 

I think region to region there are lots of goofy misconceptions with in the U.S.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Katie77

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 09:54:19 pm »
When I moved from Illinois to Connecticut right at the beginning of high school... the kids in my CT high school just couldn't get their heads around what it meant to be from a Chicago suburb.  They thought I grew up on a farm, milking cows and raising corn... literally a lot of them did. 

I think region to region there are lots of goofy misconceptions with in the U.S.

Funny....I just read that, and had my own misconception....I'm an Aussie, and when I think of Chicago, my first thought is gangsters and  Al Capone.........and I realize how stupid that is......

No doubt, there are just as many about Australia.....

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 10:06:55 pm »
A lot of people when we first moved here,thought we must have met the Queen as we were from England!!!! or Princess Diana when she was alive.
Our accent was often confused with Aussie or south africa.
Not a misconception but there were some language problems as well.Funnily enough acceptance and understanding of bi polar has been much better here than in England.
Oh an everyone expected us to have rotten teeth!!!!!

Offline MsMercury

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2008, 10:25:09 pm »
Well I have heard the thing about bad teeth but i've also heard that same thing about Japan.  That's a terrible misconception to have!
Oh and another misconception that people have about me is that because I'm southern, I must live on a farm. Even better, when I say I live in Florida, some people assume I live in a little stucco house on the beach with pink flamingos in the front yard! ::)

Offline Artiste

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2008, 10:32:49 pm »
Boy, girl.... what a thread!

So interesting, that I smiled reading during reading each posts!!

May I turn the question around?

I wonder what misconception(s) you have about moi, yes me??

Pray do tell, if maybe one comes to mind! Don't be shy!

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Katie77

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2008, 11:02:50 pm »
Even better, when I say I live in Florida, some people assume I live in a little stucco house on the beach with pink flamingos in the front yard! ::)

Well......dont you.......???? :laugh: :laugh:

Offline MsMercury

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2008, 11:31:41 pm »
Well......dont you.......???? :laugh: :laugh:

LOL! No but I do live about 2 miles from the Gulf of Mexico and there is a palm tree in our yard. It's scraggly and rats live in it. There. Does that blow your image of Florida palm trees?  :laugh:

Offline MsMercury

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2008, 11:31:20 am »
Palmetto bugs love to live in those big oaks too.  I hate those things too!

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2008, 09:59:27 am »

As a gay man, the common misconception about gay men, from straight people, that I've often heard, is that if the gay man is big 'n' butch, he MUST,  automatically be sexually dominant. And that if the gay man is cute, slim and pretty, he MUST definitely  be sexually passive.

WROOOOOOOOOOOOONG!  :o

In my vast experience of more years than I care to count (and I can only speak for Australian gay men here), the bigger and butcher (??? - you know what I mean!!!) a man is, the more likely it is he's gunna just wanna lie back in bed and be adored. And I am more than happy to oblige!!!  ;)   :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline forsythia12

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2008, 04:09:17 am »
well, i have several lesbian friends, and one in paticular said to me "it really sucks when i hang out with you or any straight girl 'cause automatically people that know us automatically think 'something's going on', when really, i'm just hanging out with another girl...."
when she said this, i realized that it's so true.  i've never thought about it before, but people i know might get the wrong impression if  i start hanging out with another man, since i'm married, and yet i never thought about my gay friend as also being thought of as .....well.......'someone of concern'....(you know what i mean) like a 'threat' to my marriage, when all along, i simply just consider it hanging out with any other girl, but people don't always see it that way.  not that i care, but just something i never really thought about before.  people think crazy things sometimes........

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2008, 08:40:45 am »
well, i have several lesbian friends, and one in paticular said to me "it really sucks when i hang out with you or any straight girl 'cause automatically people that know us automatically think 'something's going on', when really, i'm just hanging out with another girl...."
when she said this, i realized that it's so true.  i've never thought about it before, but people i know might get the wrong impression if  i start hanging out with another man, since i'm married, and yet i never thought about my gay friend as also being thought of as .....well.......'someone of concern'....(you know what i mean) like a 'threat' to my marriage, when all along, i simply just consider it hanging out with any other girl, but people don't always see it that way.  not that i care, but just something i never really thought about before.  people think crazy things sometimes........

Several years ago, a cute guy came to my office to work. We had to work closely together and over a period of time, as we exchanged pleasantries, discovered we had a lot in common. From very early on, it became abundantly clear to me that he was very heterosexual. But he was also gay-friendly, had worked with gay people in the past and had lived in West Hollywood, whilst working as a chef, before coming to work in my office in Sydney, as a public servant.

We had lunch together a couple of times to start with and this progressed to having lunch together every day. And then we started seeing each other on the weekend occasionally and also had dinner together a couple of times each month.

He knew I was gay and we were always very honest with each other about our personal sexual proclivities, without being explicitly gross about the details. He was of mixed Italio-Hungarian heritage and was very sexy.

Because I respected his friendship so much (besides the fact that he was so overtly straight), I never made a pass at him - and nor did I want to (well, maybe just a little bit, early on in our friendship!).

I'm very open about my sexuality at work, I've worked there for 28 years, and everyone knows I'm gay. It wasn't until after my friend had resigned and moved onto anther job that I started to hear the rumours. Apparently it had been widely believed, for years, that we were an item. Even my boss, a lesbian, thought we were bumping uglies. They were all wrong. We were just friends. Platonic friends.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline opinionista

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2008, 09:14:55 am »
One misconception I don't like is when people tell me I speak Mexican very well, when "Mexican" is not a language. The language is Spanish. When I was living in Wisconsin and New York people congratulated me for 5 de mayo and that date means nothing to me.

Also some people get so surprised that I'm really not into hot spicy food. Not all hispanic countries have hot spicy food or tacos or burritos in their daily diet.

There are so many misconceptions, especially in the USA, about hispanic people and the general culture. The worst part is that a lot of white and black American citizens show little interest in learning about the culture and the people. It's like we don't exist. There's also a lot of racism. Not everybody is racist of course but it is a sad reality.  :-\
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 12:01:01 pm by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2008, 12:08:58 pm »
One misconception I don't like is when people tell me I speak Mexican very well, when "Mexican" is not a language. The language is Spanish. When I was living in Wisconsin and New York people congratulated me for 5 de mayo and that date means nothing to me.

Also some people get so surprised that I'm really not into hot spicy food. Not all hispanic countries have hot spicy food or tacos or burritos in their daily diet.

There are so many misconceptions, especially in the USA, about hispanic people and the general culture. The worst part is that a lot of white and black American citizens show little interest to learn about the culture and the people. It's like we don't exist. There's also a lot of racism. Not everybody is racist of course but it is a sad reality.  :-\

I get some of this occasionally, too.  Most of the time it doesn't bother me.  After all, I hardly care if a person is of Irish or English or Croatian descent, to try to make distinctions of foods they eat or holidays they celebrate (I just say nothing), so as not to offend, so how I can I expect them to try to learn the differences in the Hispanic world?

This goes along with my "Happy Holidays!" versus "Merry Xmas and you'd better like it." live and let live attitude.  I like my attitude.  It lets me deal with people as people and not as their nationality or cultural background.

Last night, a male nurse at the hospital asked me, "Where are you from?"
I replied, as I always do, even when I'm pretty sure I know what they're asking, just to watch them fumble to figure out how to rephrase their question,  ;D
"Here.  Born and raised."
"No, I mean what is your background?"
"Oh, I'm Hispanic."
"I thought you were Hawaiian."

I don't look like anything ethnic in particular because of all the mixed blood in my family, so I get a lot of misidentifications, even in Texas, with its large Hispanic population.  Name almost any nationality/ethnicity/culture  with olive-skinned or tan looking people and I have been mistaken for one.  But I did get mistaken for French once, due to my French name (which is also Spanish).

Hawaiian, though,  has always been my personal favorite.

Offline forsythia12

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2008, 12:37:23 pm »

There are so many misconceptions, especially in the USA, about hispanic people and the general culture. The worst part is that a lot of white and black American citizens show little interest in learning about the culture and the people. It's like we don't exist. There's also a lot of racism. Not everybody is racist of course but it is a sad reality.  :-\

yep.  i hear ya on that one!  my dad lives in spain and is married to a spanish woman.  .....therefore, i speak some spanish.  i've also been to mexico many many times, and since i'm familiar with the term 'mexican' and 'spanish' it totally irks me when someone says 'do you speak mexican'....?  wtf?  but, in all fairness, some people just don't know,...and i personally don't hold it against someone for not knowing.  afterall,, there's stuff we all could learn; however, what i don't like is when people are not humble about there ignorance, and think they know it all.  i get very offended when people make statements as if they were true, out of ignorance.  i mean, i've asked people what ethnic background they're from, and quite frankly, i think that's wise to do because it's the only way to learn.  what i don't like is racial comments that are grossly wrong, and go with an unwilling attitude about learning.  in fact, i think people should ask more questions to inform themselves properly. 
i worked for a sikh family once, and i was very curious about their religion, what part of india they were from, how they felt about terrorists, islam, they're language, etc....and i was blown away about how much i learned, and how many stories they had of people accusing they're fellow sikh's of terrorism.  so, yes, i was uninformed before, and now i'm better informed.  i think they appreciated the questions, since they were asked in taste, and with a genuine desire to learn....

Offline opinionista

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2008, 01:12:55 pm »
yep.  i hear ya on that one!  my dad lives in Spain and is married to a spanish woman.  .....therefore, i speak some spanish.  i've also been to mexico many many times, and since i'm familiar with the term 'mexican' and 'spanish' it totally irks me when someone says 'do you speak mexican'....?  wtf?  but, in all fairness, some people just don't know,...and i personally don't hold it against someone for not knowing.  afterall,, there's stuff we all could learn; however, what i don't like is when people are not humble about there ignorance, and think they know it all.  i get very offended when people make statements as if they were true, out of ignorance.  i mean, i've asked people what ethnic background they're from, and quite frankly, i think that's wise to do because it's the only way to learn.  what i don't like is racial comments that are grossly wrong, and go with an unwilling attitude about learning.  in fact, i think people should ask more questions to inform themselves properly. 
i worked for a sikh family once, and i was very curious about their religion, what part of india they were from, how they felt about terrorists, islam, they're language, etc....and i was blown away about how much i learned, and how many stories they had of people accusing they're fellow sikh's of terrorism.  so, yes, i was uninformed before, and now i'm better informed.  i think they appreciated the questions, since they were asked in taste, and with a genuine desire to learn....

I live in Spain too. I usually don't hold ignorance against people because they can't help it. But I also think in this era of Internet and wikipedia it is not so hard to learn Mexicans speak Spanish not Mexican. You can even learn that on Sesame Street! Also, Spanish is taught in many schools around the nation, so I'm always surprised when I hear people say that. As for 5 de mayo, is that I'm Puerto Rican and being congratulated for a battle fought in Puebla when I lived in Wisconsin and New York city was so strange to me, given the fact that there are so many Puerto Ricans in New York and Milwaukee. I thought people knew more about the differences between the Puerto Ricans and the Mexicans in those cities but I was wrong. It could be that they can't really tell from my looks where I'm from and they simply assume I'm Mexican.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline forsythia12

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2008, 01:33:49 pm »
I live in Spain too. I usually don't hold ignorance against people because they can't help it. But I also think in this era of Internet and wikipedia it is not so hard to learn Mexicans speak Spanish not Mexican. You can even learn that on Sesame Street! Also, Spanish is taught in many schools around the nation, so I'm always surprised when I hear people say that. As for 5 de mayo, is that I'm Puerto Rican and being congratulated for a battle fought in Puebla when I lived in Wisconsin and New York city was so strange to me, given the fact that there are so many Puerto Ricans in New York and Milwaukee. I thought people knew more about the differences between the Puerto Ricans and the Mexicans in those cities but I was wrong. It could be that they can't really tell from my looks where I'm from and they simply assume I'm Mexican.

lol.
yeah, what people think can be amusing and annoying at the same time.  yes, i agree, often times you wonder how someone could possibly go through life thinking the things they do, especially with all the info available out there today....but, i guess we'll always have that problem.  i didn't think you did hold it against them.  i guess , IMO, if someone is genuinely uninformed, it's a lot easier to overlook their misconception, but when someone is ignorant and rude about it, well, that's just unaccpetable.  thank you for your post.
mucho gracias! ;D.......(that's me speaking mexican!) lol

Offline MsMercury

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2008, 02:42:43 pm »
I'm always surprised that people think Mexicans speak "Mexican" instead of Spanish.  :laugh:

My boyfriend is part Cherokee indian. He definitely looks it, especially in the summer. Well while he's at work he has people (customers) come up and start speaking Spanish to him and when he tells them he doesn't speak Spanish they actually get pissed at him!

Offline opinionista

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2008, 04:55:26 pm »
I'm always surprised that people think Mexicans speak "Mexican" instead of Spanish.  :laugh:

My boyfriend is part Cherokee indian. He definitely looks it, especially in the summer. Well while he's at work he has people (customers) come up and start speaking Spanish to him and when he tells them he doesn't speak Spanish they actually get pissed at him!

I know. That's another misconception I don't understand. Just because your last name is Spanish or because you look Spanish doesn't mean you have to know the language. I have a friend whose great grand father was from Spain but her entire family was born and raised in the US. She has a very Spanish last name, but she doesn't speak Spanish at all and people get mad at her over her not knowing Spanish. My cousin has the same problem. She was born and raised in NYC but her Spanish is so bad that she doesn't like speaking it and she also gets hell from other hispanic people. It's so stupid.

Offline optom3

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2008, 07:05:47 pm »
Palmetto bugs love to live in those big oaks too.  I hate those things too!
They are gross I nearly had a coronary the first time I saw one ,and boy can they shift fast.Hate the love bugs too.Wreck my car and I end up sweeping them up by the dustpan load.Our yard is full of oaks I wonder if that is why we get so many.

Offline optom3

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2008, 07:09:32 pm »
Well I have heard the thing about bad teeth but i've also heard that same thing about Japan.  That's a terrible misconception to have!
Oh and another misconception that people have about me is that because I'm southern, I must live on a farm. Even better, when I say I live in Florida, some people assume I live in a little stucco house on the beach with pink flamingos in the front yard! ::)

My brother lives in Japan and he says  the Japanese think europeans are filthy because we sit in our baths and wash.They take a shower first,then sit in a very small tub,almost like a small jacuzzi minus jets and have a long soak.When you think about it their way makes sense.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2008, 09:24:19 pm »
My brother lives in Japan and he says  the Japanese think europeans are filthy because we sit in our baths and wash.They take a shower first,then sit in a very small tub,almost like a small jacuzzi minus jets and have a long soak.When you think about it their way makes sense.

Heh, but then some shower when done in the tub.  8)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2008, 10:44:10 pm »

Last night, a male nurse at the hospital asked me, "Where are you from?"
I replied, as I always do, even when I'm pretty sure I know what they're asking, just to watch them fumble to figure out how to rephrase their question,  ;D
"Here.  Born and raised."
"No, I mean what is your background?"
"Oh, I'm Hispanic."
"I thought you were Hawaiian."

I witnessed a funny incident in my office recently (in Sydney, Australia). I work with a lovely woman of Chinese ancestry. Her family came to Australian from China during the Gold Rush in the late 1880s. She was born in Australia, as were all her family for generations. She has an Aussie accent, her first name is Joanne and her last name is Chinese. She is a senior public servant and very intelligent. A visitor came to our office, to attend a meeting. As patronisingly condescending as can be, he asked Joanne, "And where do you come from, dear?" (just holding back from patting her on the head in the process) Meaning, "What Asian country are you from?" Quick as a flash, Joanne responded stoney-faced, without even a hint of a smile, "Lismore" (a town in country New South Wales). Boy, did that ever put him in his place. I had to suppress a laugh. (Change the setting of my office from Sydney to New York and change Joanne's response from "Lismore" to "Cleveland" or "New Jersey" to put this story in a US context)  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline MsMercury

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2008, 11:16:14 am »
I share your phobia of palmetto bugs and i've lived in northwest Florida most of my life. I cannot sleep if I know there is one lurking around. I must kill it because I have a phobia of having one crawl in my ear.  :o
We do have lovebugs here though. They are seasonal.

Offline optom3

« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2008, 12:00:06 pm »
There was an ER episode about the bug in the ear.  I worry about that too.  I am too afraid to kill them though.  Someone else has to be my savior.

OMG I hated them before now I am really creeped out.There was one in the lanai just the other day and I freaked.It was dead and I still could not go near it.Oldest son to the rescue.
However,back in Engalnd our very old Farmhouse was riddled with huge spiders which dont do a lot for me either.So I can't win.Also I could not go out at night,as I am terrified of bats,and we had a lot of them as well.We also had flying ants yuk and these things called may bugs whch swarmed once a year,They are a bit like palmetto bugs and they just bombard you and your house,grosss.
The more I write I just sound like a wimp!!!
Basically if it is not fluffy with 4 legs I am not very keen.!!! I have to try and not pass this on to the kids which is not easy.Funnily enough my daughter is not too bad.It is my middle son who freaks,like me.Oldest is not bothered by anything.Since Father Xmas wrote to him age 8 and told him he would no longer be afraid!!!!!
The power of suggestion and pschology.He no longer believes it was Father Xmas who wrote!!! but his phobias have long since gone.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2008, 12:00:52 pm »
There was an ER episode about the bug in the ear.  I worry about that too.  I am too afraid to kill them though.  Someone else has to be my savior.

They squish too much for me to kill them.  Then not only do I have to get rid of the carcass, I have to clean up their guts as well.  ICK  :P

My entomology prof said that was because big water bugs like that had a lot of insect fat in them, which is why they squished so much.

Now, like MsMercury, I cannot sleep if one is on the loose in the house.  My brave bug-eating cats  ;D  usually take care of anything that moves in the house, but if the bug outsmarts them, I take a broom, beat the thing senseless, then toss it outside away from my apartment.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2008, 08:00:05 pm »
When I first came out, my brother asked if this meant i was going to marry a man.  I said yes.  He asked if that meant one of us would wear a wedding gown.

::)

I told him 'no', but that if I asked him to be in the party, he'd have to wear pink taffeta.  He said 'whut?'    he had no idea what that was.

wasted a great joke on him.  :D

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2008, 08:10:08 pm »
Quote from: SunShadow
I am a native Floridian and can't stand palm trees.  They are not native to Florida, attract palmetto bugs (of which I am phobic) and are all trunk and little foliage.

Funny — that reminds me of the insult: "all hat and no cattle".   As in, "he's all trunk and no foliage."

Hmm...  Then again maybe that would be a compliment?  Hee.    :P   ;)

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2008, 08:13:51 pm »

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2008, 08:18:59 pm »
When I first came out, my brother asked if this meant i was going to marry a man.  I said yes.  He asked if that meant one of us would wear a wedding gown.
 ::)
I told him 'no', but that if I asked him to be in the party, he'd have to wear pink taffeta.  He said 'whut?'    he had no idea what that was.
wasted a great joke on him.  :D

That wasn't wasted on us though!  Good one!!    ;D

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2008, 08:22:06 pm »
Ok, how about this for a misconception...

the pic I posted says "Palmeto bug attacks"

attacks? ?   :o

what...do they swarm upon people and then eat them?

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2008, 01:08:58 am »
I cannot sleep if one is on the loose in the house. 

Oh, that's for sure. When I lived in Louisiana, I could live with regular cockroaches (unpleasant as they are, and I later learned they had much to do with our neighbors' nonexistent cleaning habits).

But a huge, flying cockroach? Forget it.

One time, one of those palmetto bugs was crawling across the floor. I put a stoneware planter on top of it, expecting that would kill it off. Then I finished watching L.A. Law. An hour later, when I went over to take the stoneware planter off (assuming I'd be doing a bug disposal/burial) the bug just continued crawling across the floor.

Yuck.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2008, 07:53:58 pm »
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Npi7zlTZyv0[/youtube]

ewwwwwwww

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2008, 08:19:42 pm »
They have 'em in Atlanta! I seen them on the wall of this resturant and people were laughing about it.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2008, 08:20:29 pm »
Oh shit!  That's not something I'd be laughing about.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2008, 08:22:05 pm »
Well they got to drinkin' and talkin' and all...... :laugh:

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2008, 08:27:19 pm »
still...........ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwh