Author Topic: Separating Reality From Fantasy  (Read 4495 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Separating Reality From Fantasy
« on: March 19, 2008, 02:18:09 pm »

I have posted an editorial essay about Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath's death and the role played by fan fiction in the current lashback against Jake.  Registered LJ users are welcome to comment on my LJ.

http://louisev.livejournal.com/262111.html
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Artiste

Re: Separating Reality From Fantasy
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 02:56:39 pm »
Thanks louise!

No intimate between Heath and Jake?

May I think otherwise ?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline blacktears

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • Hudson Heartbreak
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 11:38:13 pm »
I completely agree that they were never friends. They ran in totally different circles and I just don't think they had a great deal in common outside of BBM. After awards season, I don't think (just my opinion of course) that they even spoke to one another. I think perhaps people are upset about Jake's silence because of the closeness Jake said they shared so I suppose they are confused by his lack of saying anything. But each to their own is my opinion.

I guess what confuses me more than anything (I love both Jake and Heath myself) is how the opinion of a few people that dislike Jake cause such an uproar  themselves. Why let them control you or make you mad enough to write this? I don't know, to me it feels like re-opening old wounds that perhaps should be best left to heal on their own.

Proud Supporter, Writer, and Reader of RPS

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 11:13:03 am »
I completely agree that they were never friends. They ran in totally different circles and I just don't think they had a great deal in common outside of BBM. After awards season, I don't think (just my opinion of course) that they even spoke to one another. I think perhaps people are upset about Jake's silence because of the closeness Jake said they shared so I suppose they are confused by his lack of saying anything. But each to their own is my opinion.

I've wondered if theirs might have been a 'workplace friendship.'  Everyone who's had even one job has had those -- you can get very close, but after more than 40 years in the workplace, I can count only a few that lasted after we weren't working together anymore. That doesn't take anything away from the amazing performances of both in the movie and it certainly doesn't necessarily mean they were unfriendly -- but people who are down on Jake because of his lack of reaction might be a bit naive.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 11:54:34 am »

I have posted an editorial essay about Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath's death and the role played by fan fiction in the current lashback against Jake.  Registered LJ users are welcome to comment on my LJ.

http://louisev.livejournal.com/262111.html

Hey Louise, I am a registered user there but it won't let me post because I am not your friend there.  ;D 

Anyway this is my thoughts as they apply to Jake:

I have not followed the controversy at all, have been aware of it and have even done a bit of watching for a comment from Jake. My take on why none has been forthcoming is because it is simply, to paraphrase his character Jack Twist: "Nobody's business by his."

These actors made Brokeback with the expectation they were pushing boundries and perhaps not aware of the power the story contained. Heath and Michelle became lovers, had a child, their whole lives were put on a different course and I imagine quite a few of them are now examining just what happened.

Jake has said they were best friends, and believing that to be the case I can see why he would not choose to speak about it, now or ever. If he does I feel like it will be at the end of a long period of reflection.

For myself I will be listening, but it is not necessary for me to hear what he thinks about Heath or his death.

As for matters relating to fanficdom, I will leave that to the experts.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Artiste

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 12:13:29 pm »
Thanks Shakestheground!

Like you say:
Nobody's business by his."

May I add that Jake G. is too much sad still... likely to talk yet!!

Later... maybe he will, as we hope so!!

There are still things that I can NOT say to anyone nor to myself since my lover died, and I think that his doctor, hospital and some relatives, murdered him... unfortunately in more ways than one!! If I can say that, as maybe as an example!!

Best thing is to care for Jake G.!!

Am sure that you do and others do too!!

News, maybe we will have from him later... hopefully!! For now, he surely needs rest!! And support!! And hugs!!

Hugs!

Offline rnmina

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 10:58:08 pm »
On top of how totally sad this kind of loss  is, it often precipitates physical injuries and accidents in the bereaved...i.e. see Jake's  lower extremity  injury and use of his Game ready--TY UV-- on his Cabo trip.
 I know in my heart that he and Heath were good  friends and that is how it was between them.  Jake is Matilda Rose's Godfather. I know what that responsibility entails; I am Godmother to two, now young adult people, and I carefully chose my child's Godparents.
This honor is never  given lightly by any parent who cares deeply for their child and we all know how much Heath loved his daughter.
  I can't imagine, nor do I presume to know the nature of their friendship or what Jake is feeling. I didn't know Heath and I was broken hearted over his death...I still cant believe he is gone.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 12:03:19 am »

Nobody's business by his.

There are still things that I can NOT say to anyone nor to myself since my lover died

Agreed, let Jake deal with the tragedy of Heath's death in his own private way.

Like Artiste, I too have much that I still can not say following the death of the love of my life 10 years ago, and that anniversary is fast approaching. The memories are still fresh, and sometimes I still can't talk about it candidly. Even with DL it is hard for me to open up, and this is the man whose presence in my life causes me to give thanks to God each and every morning that I wake up.

Let's be patient with Jake, he deserves it.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 12:28:53 am »
Hey Louise, I am a registered user there but it won't let me post because I am not your friend there.  ;D 

Anyway this is my thoughts as they apply to Jake:

I have not followed the controversy at all, have been aware of it and have even done a bit of watching for a comment from Jake. My take on why none has been forthcoming is because it is simply, to paraphrase his character Jack Twist: "Nobody's business by his."

These actors made Brokeback with the expectation they were pushing boundries and perhaps not aware of the power the story contained. Heath and Michelle became lovers, had a child, their whole lives were put on a different course and I imagine quite a few of them are now examining just what happened.

Jake has said they were best friends, and believing that to be the case I can see why he would not choose to speak about it, now or ever. If he does I feel like it will be at the end of a long period of reflection.

For myself I will be listening, but it is not necessary for me to hear what he thinks about Heath or his death.

As for matters relating to fanficdom, I will leave that to the experts.

The only restriction on my LJ is that you have to be a logged-in Livejournal user.  I have had some problems with anonymous posters and so anyone who comments on my journal has to be logged in, and that is probably why you could not comment on my LJ.  At any rate, here is just as fine!    Thanks for understanding... I think that there are a small number of people who are upset by Jake's lack of a statement.  I too was hoping that he could say something in the first couple of weeks of pure turmoil after Heath's death, until it became clear to me that there was no reason to expect a statement, and I reflected upon my own unwillingness to share with strangers, or even friends, my own feelings about those near me who have passed on.  I have lost several family members over time, including a sister and my father, and did not make any gesture to my family regarding them, my gestures were private to me.  And I believe strongly that, as several others have mentioned here, no one has a right to expect Jake to make any gesture for our benefit.  When and if the time comes for him to do something for Heath's and Michelle's daughter as her godfather, he will be there.  Thanks for posting your POV, and also Artiste, rnmina,Brokeplex, blacktears and Marge_Innavera...  It has been a tough few weeks with people hating on Jake, and I just don't see the sense in it.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

mvansand76

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2008, 07:47:23 am »
I have a friends lock on my lj and so I have quite an extensive friends list and I sometimes scroll through my friends page. It amazes me how vicious people can be in this matter. The posts I have seen on there that reflect so much hatred towards Jake just continue to baffle me. Didn't he give us as much a gift by giving us Jack as Heath gave us giving us Ennis?

Personally, I feel disappointed that Jake hasn't said anything, but I don't think he's worth less than before this all happened. For a lot of people it's hard to contemplate that the two of them probably weren't best friends or friends at all. I also believe that they weren't that close anymore, as they moved in different circles.