Author Topic: How well will the BBM DVD sell?  (Read 5388 times)

Offline Fla_Tim

• Jr. Ranch Hand
How well will the BBM DVD sell?
« on: March 17, 2006, 08:32:10 am »
I was reading another reaction to the Oscars on gaycitynews.com where the author said that he thought that the movie hit a wall early, and that people were now waiting for the DVD realease.

It seems to me that there might be -- A LOT -- of people who are curious about the film but feel sheepish going to the counter and buying a ticket -- not that the film has reaped so much critical acclaim.

How do you think it will do on the rental and DVD sale market?

Offline donnaread

• Jr. Ranch Hand
Re: How well will the BBM DVD sell?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 04:21:33 pm »
I was reading another reaction to the Oscars on gaycitynews.com where the author said that he thought that the movie hit a wall early, and that people were now waiting for the DVD realease.

It seems to me that there might be -- A LOT -- of people who are curious about the film but feel sheepish going to the counter and buying a ticket -- not that the film has reaped so much critical acclaim.

How do you think it will do on the rental and DVD sale market?
Personally I think the sales and rentals will be even better than the box office, because as you said some people are embarrassed to see it in the theaters.  Also, there are a lot of people who don't go out to movies, but rent them instead, and if they like them, they'll buy a copy.  As for myself, I will be at WalMart at 11:30 pm on Apr 3.   ;D  Not giving it a chance to get sold out before I get there! :D

Offline juneaux

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 05:55:25 pm »
I'm with DonnaReed!  First thing I'm doing on the 4th is going to the store.  (Most likely I'll buy multiple copies so I don't give the only one I have away.)
Truth never damages a cause that is just.
~Mohandas Gandhi

Offline BBMGrandma

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Jack....I swear.....
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 06:56:35 am »
.  As for myself, I will be at WalMart at 11:30 pm on Apr 3.   ;D  Not giving it a chance to get sold out before I get there! :D

I'll meet ya there Donna!!  You buyin the coffee?   ;) 

(Most likely I'll buy multiple copies so I don't give the only one I have away.)

You and me BOTH...."J".  Just gave away my ONLY copy of BBM yesterday  <short version...thank goodness> but....like YOU....I keep my Wyoming Stories right on my bedside table!! 

I think the DVD is going to go 'over the top' as far as sales!!  Jeeeeeez...I hope Ennis and Jack don't get all 'uppity' on us with all the bucks they're gonna make. 

Love to all.....Nancy
"If we never dream....we'll never have a dream come true"   (me...myself...and I)

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 08:20:09 am »
It's going to be a little while yet before it's released in Australia, at least after June!  :-\  I'll have to have a think about whether I'll order one from the states, I'll be able to get it sooner, but our PAL video format is superior to NTSC!  ;)
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline BBMGrandma

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Jack....I swear.....
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2006, 08:31:58 am »
It's going to be a little while yet before it's released in Australia, at least after June!  :-\  I'll have to have a think about whether I'll order one from the states, I'll be able to get it sooner, but our PAL video format is superior to NTSC!  ;)

Translation please Chris!!  What the heck is a PAL and NTSC format?  And since my frantic search for our Variety...<dang> went kaput....I'll SEND you a DVD....post haste...as soon as it arrives...if you'd like!!   

Hugs and LOVE....Nancy   :-*
"If we never dream....we'll never have a dream come true"   (me...myself...and I)

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2006, 09:12:36 am »
Translation please Chris!!  What the heck is a PAL and NTSC format?  And since my frantic search for our Variety...<dang> went kaput....I'll SEND you a DVD....post haste...as soon as it arrives...if you'd like!!   

PAL is the technology that is used to format video signals on Australian/NZ/UK televisions and VCRs, NTSC is yours Canada's and Japan's.  It's the reason why you cannot play videos purchaced in other countries unless you have a multizone video/dvd/television.  Surprisingly, PAL was invented before NTSC and has a higher resolution and a better method for handling colours, but not to be outdone (from what I've heard), a new format was invented for for the U.S.  There is a particular video problem that affects NTSC called a 3:2 pulldown artifact where horizontal pans can look very jerky.  A more technical explanation and how this particularly affects DVD video appears here (http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Articles/PALvsNTSC/PALvsNTSC.asp).

Don't worry about sending me a copy, we actually have stores here that sell U.S. release DVD's, so I'll check them out in April, and I can always have one sent across via Amazon.

Thanks and hugs to you too, Chris.  :)
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline juneaux

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2006, 05:03:38 pm »

Send me your address Chris and I'll put my extra one in the mail to you.   :)
Truth never damages a cause that is just.
~Mohandas Gandhi

horo04

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2006, 10:56:53 pm »
Heres some local news I saw about the dvd release.

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2006, 11:47:48 am »
PAL is the technology that is used to format video signals on Australian/NZ/UK televisions and VCRs, NTSC is yours Canada's and Japan's.

NTSC=Never The Same Color (Twice).  It's another example of Americans assuming they can do a better job by creating their own standard for doing things instead of just going along with the team effort and making one standard better.  NTSC uses 525 lines (if you get really close to an analog TV set, you can see the horizontal lines that make up the image).  The more lines, the sharper the image can be.  NTSC has been adopted by United States, Canada, Greenland, Mexico, Cuba, Panama, Japan, South Korea, the Philippines, Puerto Rico and most of South America.  Basically anywhere America had dominant influence, NTSC got adopted.

The other two standards are PAL which is used by virtually everyone else and SECAM which was developed by the silly French as a matter of national pride.  Both PAL and SECAM use 625 lines, so you get a sharper image already, and they come closer at 25 frames per second to the film standard of 24 frames per second, which makes converting film for DVDs and broadcasts far easier.  The NTSC system requires 30 frames per second, and when they convert film to broadcast or DVD, they have to jump through hopes.  Since the capitalist western half of Europe used PAL, eastern Europe and the Soviet Union went for SECAM just to make broadcasts between east and west incompatible (in color at least).  Post Cold War, a lot of eastern European countries are switching to PAL.

The only downside to PAL/SECAM is their reliance on the 50hz/50 fields per second timing standard (locked to the 50hz power rate).  Americans who are used to NTSC can usually see the flaw straight away when they see a PAL/SECAM transmission because it flickers more than the NTSC system.  Since we are used to NTSC, when we see the other standards, we are more sensitive to the flashing phenomenon.

Anyway, it's all rapidly becoming irrelevant as we approach HDTV conversion which throws away the analog color standard issue.  Digital broadcasts work much differently.  But don't worry - we're about to repeat the same mistakes all over again with digital radio.  While every country around, including Canada, has chosen the Eureka digital radio standard, once again we decided we could do better and we came up with IBOC - In Band On Channel.  Eureka is a fully digital radio standard, grouping stations together and transmitting them on a much higher frequency.  IBOC transmits an analog and digital signal at the same time on the same frequency.  It's terrible, causing interference for analog and digital users, especially on the AM dial.  Eventually this means Canadian radio will be totally incompatible with American radio unless car manufacturers build support for the two totally different systems.  More bungling....

BTW, many of the cheapest DVD players out there made in China happily handle NTSC and PAL DVDs quite fine and convert them for display on either set.  I can rent and watch British DVDs using the PAL format and see them in color.  Of course I don't get the better resolution, but they are quite watchable.

You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming