Author Topic: Ketchup or Mustard?  (Read 8394 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Ketchup or Mustard?
« on: March 22, 2008, 09:42:11 pm »
Heya,

Which of these classic condiments do you prefer?

For me, mustard is probably my all-time favorite condiment, while I don't much like ketchup.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Re: Ketchup or Mustard?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 09:57:43 pm »
I've learned to like the fancy dark mustards, but I usually get mayo, though it sorta depends...if I'm having a hot dog, it either needs mayo and sweet relish OR mustard and ketchup.  I've also learned to dip my fries in mayo, Euro-style, so I'm not having much in the way of ketchup these days.

Speaking of condiments, though, I love them, especially exotic hot sauces or spices you get served with Thai or Indian...
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 10:35:30 pm »
My refrigerator has little food, but lots of condiments.

I have mustard, dark mustard, dijon mustard, coarse ground mustard, mayonnaise, wasabi mayonnaise, dijonnaise, chipotle mayonnaise, cocktail sauce, ketchup, soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, horseradish sauce, A-1 steak sauce, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, BBQ sauce, remoulade sauce, cranberry horseradish sauce, ranch dressing, caesar dressing, jalapeno ranch dressing, balsamic vinegar, red wine vinegar and aioli.

So I picked 'other'.   ;D

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 10:36:49 pm »
Mustard,no contest,cannot stand Ketchup,not even when I was a kid.But I love mayo.and could not live without salt.I eat far too much of that.Also miss my HP sauce from U.K.  bacon sandwiches are just not the same without it. I refuse to pay Florida prices for it.

Offline Berit

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 08:08:23 am »
Ketchup is the thing for me........mustard in Swedish peasoup but not otherwise........mayo is just disgusting, yak :o

I got a friend who's son was so allergic when he was a kid......he drank soyamilk and had ketchup on the oatmeal....... :P

Berit
Ennis.....always Ennis.....

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 01:14:06 pm »
Ketchup is the thing for me........mustard in Swedish peasoup but not otherwise........mayo is just disgusting, yak :o

Berit

I'm curious about Swedish pea soup with mustard.  I've never had that before, but it sounds good.  Do you have a recipe?

I think mustard is good on just about everything... but one of the best things, in my opinion, is grainy mustard on soft pretzels (German-style).  So good!  :P :)

Offline Berit

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 01:50:01 pm »
I'll get back to you with the peasoup recipe when I get home on Wednesday!! I'm visiting my daughter now. I agree with you, grainy mustard id better than the sort that looks like baby-poo..... ::)

I'm longing for a filet-o-fish from Mac-Do, unfortunately we don't have any MD where I live anymore.... :(....never tried it with ketchup though......I'll try  :P

Berit
Ennis.....always Ennis.....

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 08:21:07 pm »
ketchup, it goes with everything including mashed potatoes.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2008, 08:28:00 pm »
ketchup, it goes with everything including mashed potatoes.

LOL!  That's exactly how I feel about mustard!  ;D

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2008, 08:49:48 pm »
I'll try some mustard in my mashed potatoes later, I just never thought about that.

But until I met DL, I had never thought about adding salt and black pepper directly into a glob of ketchup and then dipping my french fries into them. Instead of sprinkling the spices and later the ketchup over the french fries directly.

I have lead a sheltered life.  :laugh:

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2008, 08:54:46 pm »
Now that I think about this further... there are definitely situations where I like ketchup.  I love ketchup on french fries particularly.  And, usually the combination of ketchup and mustard is the best on burgers.  I still prefer mustard in most situations.  Anyway, here in Pittsburgh it's almost a requirement that we like ketchup!
 ;D

Heinz makes mustard too, so in that regard I'm somewhat safe.  But, ketchup is of course the gold standard around here.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2008, 08:58:22 pm »
I can only think of a very few places in the US that I have visited or lived where ketchup is not the "gold standard".

In far south TX picante, and pico de gallo substitute for ketchup. maybe in Chinatown SF "soya" sauce is predominate?

elsewhere it seems ketchup is the american sauce of choice.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2008, 09:07:45 pm »
I can only think of a very few places in the US that I have visited or lived where ketchup is not the "gold standard".

In far south TX picante, and pico de gallo substitute for ketchup. maybe in Chinatown SF "soya" sauce is predominate?

elsewhere it seems ketchup is the american sauce of choice.

Well, what I mean by gold standard here in Pittsburgh in particular is that Heinz is based here. 

The big industries in Pittsburgh have historically been steel, glass and ketchup... or I should say a la Brokeback.... "uh, ketchup".  ;D

Offline forsythia12

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2008, 09:08:32 pm »
i picked ketchup.  i like mustard, but i need ketchup with hamburgers, hotdogs, fries, hashbrowns, eggs, pork chops, and well, lot's of other stuff.

i only like mayonaise if it's miracle whip.  i hate real mayonaise, and i guess miracle whip is more like a salad dressing, so it's tangier.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2008, 09:12:04 pm »
i picked ketchup.  i like mustard, but i need ketchup with hamburgers, hotdogs, fries, hashbrowns, eggs, pork chops, and well, lot's of other stuff.

i only like mayonaise if it's miracle whip.  i hate real mayonaise, and i guess miracle whip is more like a salad dressing, so it's tangier.

correct, I make something similar to it when I make the mix for my potato salad.

Offline forsythia12

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2008, 09:12:19 pm »
My refrigerator has little food, but lots of condiments.

I have mustard, dark mustard, dijon mustard, coarse ground mustard, mayonnaise, wasabi mayonnaise, dijonnaise, chipotle mayonnaise, cocktail sauce, ketchup, soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, horseradish sauce, A-1 steak sauce, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, BBQ sauce, remoulade sauce, cranberry horseradish sauce, ranch dressing, caesar dressing, jalapeno ranch dressing, balsamic vinegar, red wine vinegar and aioli.

So I picked 'other'.   ;D

wow dellaluvia, your condiment collection is like your shoe collection! ;D

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2008, 09:41:24 pm »
Certain foods require lots of ketchup, and it has to be Heinz.  I love ketchup on French fries and baked potatoes (one can then pretend they are French fries), and on chicken and fish.  It is also a must on fast food chicken or fish sandwiches.

My favorite mustard is Dijonnaise (tastes like a mixture of Dijon mustard and mayo, but with not too many calories).  Mustard is best on deli turkey, chicken or turkey hot dogs (I don't eat beef), and baked beans.  I also like it on cheese sometimes.  Golden or deli mustard is also okay, but I don't care for yellow mustard.

Mayo is also good on sandwiches and French fries, but it has to be Hellmann's, and it is best when there is ketchup or mustard on the sandwich as well.

try hummos on sandwiches, and I can't believe that you told me that you put mayonaise on your french fries! omigod!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2008, 10:00:11 pm »
try hummos on sandwiches, and I can't believe that you told me that you put mayonaise on your french fries! omigod!

Yeah!  Mayo on french fries is really yummy!  That's quite a tradition in Belgium in particular, as far as I understand.

Also, I love malt vinegar on french fries.   :P  Geez, now I really have a craving for french fries!  ;D :laugh:

Offline forsythia12

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2008, 10:06:11 pm »
Yeah!  Mayo on french fries is really yummy!  That's quite a tradition in Belgium in particular, as far as I understand.

Also, I love malt vinegar on french fries.   :P  Geez, now I really have a craving for french fries!  ;D :laugh:

yep.  my husband spent some time in holland and  people use mayo with fries.  my husband loves it now.  it's not bad, but i still like ketchup.