Author Topic: Role Reversals  (Read 2327 times)

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Role Reversals
« on: March 23, 2008, 01:23:18 pm »
I was thinking last night that there were several role reversals in the film, when Jack assumed Ennis's typical identity (at least the viewer's perception of it), and vice versa.  Two that came to mind:

1.  Aguirre makes no bones in the trailer about assigning Ennis as camp tender, and Jack as herder.  He looks straight at, and I believe points, directly at each one of them, singly, as he's giving the duties.  Yet when he comes up the mountain to tell Jack about his uncle having pneumonia, he sees that Jack is now the camp tender, and through binoculars, that Ennis has assumed the role of herder.  Yet he doesn't say a word about that.  He seems to me like a boss who insists on having his orders followed, period, end of sentence.  Why do you all think he doesn't say anything, or express any ire at all about that?

2.  When Ennis comes back from what turns out to be his snowy last night in the pup tent on the Q.T., and finds Jack taking down the tent, telling him that Aguirre says it's time to bring the sheep down cause another big storm's blowing in from the Pacific, it is Ennis that he is visibly shook up, throwing things, raising his voice, pitching a fit, going up to sit on the mountain and stew about it, and throwing punches, while Jack is the one just matter-of-factly saying that's the way it is, and calmly going about the business of picking up the camp and loading the animals.  Up till that point, it was Ennis that appeared to be calm and matter-of-fact and hesitant about showing emotions, and Jack that wore his heart on his sleeve and showed everything he was feeling the minute he was feeling it, with no restraint.  Why do you all think they switched emotional roles, just like that?

I don't have any theories on either situation, so would appreciate it any of you would like to comment on either/both situations.  And perhaps you can come up with other examples of this kind of thing occurring later on, also?

Thanks, Happy Easter everyone!
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Role Reversals
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 01:52:38 pm »
Interesting questions, Mandy! Regarding the job reversals, there is a thread about this called What's the Point of the Job Switch? But I don't know if anyone's addressed the emotional switching of the men's roles in their relationship. You point out the first noticeable time this happens, on their last day on the mountain. Maybe one of the reasons Ennis is so bent out of shape is because he feels like these are his last days of freedom before he becomes a married, settled-down man. You can tell he's not really looking forward to the prospect. Earlier he had said "Alma and me are going to get married as soon as I come down from this mountain." Not much of an excited anticipatory tone in his voice. Wrestling with his feelings, Ennis turned to actual wrestling as he and Jack started tumbling down the mountain together, and then he blindly lashed out at Jack, laying him low with a bruised jaw.

Another role reversal example was the reunion, when Jack and Ennis came together again after four years apart. Undemonstrative Ennis shocked and delighted Jack with a lusty kiss, oblivioius to the danger of people seeing them in the stairwell of the laundromat building. I suspect that most of these instances of role reversal occurred when stoic Ennis couldn't "stand it no more" and the wellspring of his feelings burst over the dam he had built to keep them back.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Mandy21

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 04:22:09 pm »
Good observations, Lee, that puts a little more light on it for me.  Love the wrestling analogy you came up with.  And how in the world could have I forgotten the reunion kiss scene as another example???  Duh, that's my fave scene.  Will have to watch it again, just to see if I can find any more.  Thanks for the link about the other post regarding the jobs changing; I'll check it out now.
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline optom3

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 10:00:48 pm »
Good observations, Lee, that puts a little more light on it for me.  Love the wrestling analogy you came up with.  And how in the world could have I forgotten the reunion kiss scene as another example???  Duh, that's my fave scene.  Will have to watch it again, just to see if I can find any more.  Thanks for the link about the other post regarding the jobs changing; I'll check it out now.
I also think one reason Ennis becomes so distracted the day they come down from the mountain,is he feels in his heart that he will never see Jack again.He also knows although can't bear it that he loves Jack,in a way he does not Alma. Jack,ever the optimist possibly thinks he will see Ennis again.As per the converstion they have by the truck,before finally parting.Also the fact that he goes back,ever hopeful,the following year.
In many ways I feel that Ennis love for Jack ,although deeply tortured is maybe more heart felt.After all, we are left to assume that Jack is his 1st sexual encounter and we tend to fall very deeply for that person who we willingly give ourselves to for the first time.They hold a very special place in our hearts.I do not doubt that Jack loves Ennis,but a love where the struggle is as great as Ennis's tends to cut deep.