Author Topic: Scientology, Hollywood & South Park  (Read 17405 times)

Offline Fla_Tim

• Jr. Ranch Hand
Scientology, Hollywood & South Park
« on: March 17, 2006, 12:03:20 pm »
I found this funny online article today after I read Annie Proulx's comments about Oscar night and the big Scientology sign.  >:(

http://www.variety.com/VR1117939918.html

Offline BBMGrandma

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Jack....I swear.....
Re: Scientology, Hollywood & South Park
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 08:50:27 pm »
OMG....TIM....that's too funny.  I'm an avid South Park Fan!!  I've heard all this flack and am astounded by it.  South Park makes fun of EVERYONE....and admits as much in it's intro.  We can certainly eliminate Tom Cruise <Mr. Sofa jumper> from any kind of rational behavior...anyway.  He's just plain NUTS!!  But I'm soooooo sad losing Isaac Hayes!!  His chocolate salty balls...are the BEST!!   ;)  Amazing what a flurry of self righteous indignation Ms. Proulx's writings have caused...huh?  I, for one, LOVE IT!! 

HUgssssssss....Nancy   :-*
"If we never dream....we'll never have a dream come true"   (me...myself...and I)

Offline Fla_Tim

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 11:40:47 am »
Yeah that is too bad about losing the voice of Chef Chef, though I have to admit I forgot it was Isaac Hayes, but how hard can it be to find another deep booming voice to do the character if they want to continue him.

I go through spells of watching it and then not. It usually comes to my aid when I'm taking things in the world way to seriously, then I start watching it and the Daily Show again. I've never seen the episode the Scientologist crowd is up in arms about, hopefully it will make it to the DVD release.

Offline juneaux

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 06:00:00 pm »
I agreed when the SP creators said that ~ I'm paraphrasing ~"tolerance should start with what is personal. Not end there." 
Just hope they don't kill off Chef~ in case Isaac changes his mind.  (Which I hope he does!)
Truth never damages a cause that is just.
~Mohandas Gandhi

Offline BBMGrandma

• Jack....I swear.....
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 06:40:29 am »
Here's the latest on the South Park Wars.  Matt and Trey will most definitely capitalize on THIS...I'm sure!!  Hooray for them....!!  Saw the two of them on TV the other night...an interview.  Those two will NAIL Tom Cruise again....!!  And BOY...does he need nailing.  I think he's gone totally off his rocker!!!  This will give them the material they need for a load of new shows!!  Whooopeee!!!

http://articles.news.aol.com/tv/article.adp?id=20060317173709990002&ncid=NWS00010000000001
"If we never dream....we'll never have a dream come true"   (me...myself...and I)

Offline BBMGrandma

• Jack....I swear.....
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2006, 06:45:37 am »

I've never seen the episode the Scientologist crowd is up in arms about, hopefully it will make it to the DVD release.

HEY TIM....HI!!  Supposedly the 'episode' will show again this Wednesday evening.  Whether that's true or not...I'm not sure.  It's a VERY funny episode...had me ROARING!!  I'm like you....when things get serious I take a trip to South Park...for some good fun!!  See you there....!! 

Hugsssssssss.....Nancy

Offline BBMGrandma

• Jack....I swear.....
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2006, 06:47:54 am »
I agreed when the SP creators said that ~ I'm paraphrasing ~"tolerance should start with what is personal. Not end there." 
Just hope they don't kill off Chef~ in case Isaac changes his mind.  (Which I hope he does!)

I hear ya "J"....and if they kill off Chef....who will make his 'Salty Balls' for the carnival?   ;)

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2006, 08:12:52 am »
I've never seen the episode the Scientologist crowd is up in arms about, hopefully it will make it to the DVD release.

If you go to http://www.xenu.net/ there is a link to download the episode.  It's very funny, as always.  There must have been a lot of people downloading because your encouraged to use bittorrent.
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline Fla_Tim

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2006, 12:17:37 pm »

[/quote]

HEY TIM....HI!!  Supposedly the 'episode' will show again this Wednesday evening.  Whether that's true or not...I'm not sure.  It's a VERY funny episode...had me ROARING!!  I'm like you....when things get serious I take a trip to South Park...for some good fun!!  See you there....!! 

Hugsssssssss.....Nancy
[/quote]

Thanks Nancy! I'll have to watch and see if it is the one. Comedy Central and Tivo are being vague about what new episode they will air.

Offline Fla_Tim

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2006, 02:57:23 pm »

If you go to http://www.xenu.net/ there is a link to download the episode.  It's very funny, as always.  There must have been a lot of people downloading because your encouraged to use bittorrent.

I went there but the non torrent links are dead. I've never used bit torrent, is it difficult to set up?

Thanks!

Tim

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2006, 05:50:05 pm »
I went there but the non torrent links are dead. I've never used bit torrent, is it difficult to set up?

Yes it's very easy to use bittorrent.  You need a BT client and there are lots of them around.  I like Azureus (http://azureus.sourceforge.net/) because it easy to use and has resonable default settings when you tell it your internet connection speed. Once you've downloaded and installed the client, start it and have it running in the background, then go back to the clambake site and click on the URL that has the ".torrent" extension.  Azueus should activate and give you a file save dialog.  Once you've specified the location it should download automatically, connecting to anyone that has all (seeders) or part (peers) of the file already.  Note that once you've downloaded the file you should right-click the entry in Azureus' bottom window pane and select "Remove -> and delete torrent file" and shut down Azureus otherwise you will continue to act as a peer for others to download it from you utilising your bandwidth.  Bittorrent is designed to transfer very large files very quickly, so while it is running you may experience slow surfing performance.

This is off topic for the forum and the discussion, so if you have any further questions feel free to send me a private e-mail by personal message.

Best regards, Chris.

Offline BBMGrandma

• Jack....I swear.....
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2006, 05:31:20 am »
The Scientology bit on South Park is on Wednesday....as far as their web site tells!!

http://www.southparkstudios.com/downloads/images.php?season=1

Catch it if you can....!!

Offline Fla_Tim

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2006, 07:41:47 am »
Hey Chris, thanks!!!!!

I got it to work and DL the episode. I'm still laughing about it, "Mr. Cruise, Come out of the closet".

My partner said it was hysterical, he ususally shakes his head in disdain when I watch South Park.

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2006, 08:21:18 am »
I got it to work and DL the episode. I'm still laughing about it, "Mr. Cruise, Come out of the closet".

No problems Tim, happy that I could help.

Offline Fla_Tim

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2006, 10:23:24 am »

I hear ya "J"....and if they kill off Chef....who will make his 'Salty Balls' for the carnival?   ;)

Don't write Chef Chef off just yet -- According to the local paper Tonight at 10 "The Return of Chef", a hastily put together episode of South Park titled  "The Return of Chef", which reacts to the news that Isaac Hayes, who has voiced over the character Chef, has quit the show.

I can't wait myself.

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2006, 03:47:58 am »
"anozinizing"? I don't know what this word means. I'm getting conturbulated about it. Please clear me.

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2006, 04:28:46 pm »
Loathe Scientology, love South Park.  And Hollywood (explitive deleted!).
« Last Edit: April 01, 2006, 10:41:26 pm by julie01 »
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2006, 08:45:48 pm »
Loathe Scientology, love South Park, and Hollywood (explitive deleted!)
Actually, I find Scientology such a bad religion that it's funny, and a good bad example, so that when people try to push their religion on you (as they have been doing at IMDb BBM rather a lot), you can say "Well, if yours, why not Scientology?" Is there a "divinely inspired" book LRH has written?
Although that said, I know it's wrecked many lives (perhaps Tom Cruise's most of all), sucked many people dry financially, and screwed up a lot of people's heads.

Offline BBMGrandma

• Jack....I swear.....
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2006, 05:13:50 am »
"anozinizing"? I don't know what this word means. I'm getting conturbulated about it. Please clear me.

HI Shuggy....nice to meet you!!  And I don't have a CLUE what it means either.  And....LOL...where the HECK did you find that word?  I'm getting even MORE conturbulated about it!!  Could that be called hyperconturbulation?   ::)

And I hear ya....about Scientology.  It's totally bizarre too.  I ADORE John Travolta...but I can't believe that he could be suckered in by it...also.  The episode on South Park was one of the funniest I'd EVER seen.  A classic!!  And their retort to the snub....on their new season premiere....was SO 'tongue in cheek'. 

And JULIE....nice to meet YOU too!!  And ^5  GIRL!!  [/b] [/color]

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2006, 01:39:26 pm »
One of my favorite sites is www.malcovision.com .  The guys (Matt & Robbie) are awesome and have great high-quality clips of just exactly the stuff I love.  You can find both the original South Park episode with Tom Cruis in the closed, and the next one about Chef. 

The 'Chef is a Pedophile' epidose: http://malcontent.biz/video/southpark-chef-hi.wmv

Original 'Tom in the Closet' episode: http://malcontent.biz/video/closet-hi.wmv

There's also the clip of Rufus Wainright singing the "Maker Makes' from Logo TV, and so many other wonderful clips, so scroll through everything.  It's very much a gay-themed site, but it's all great, and lots of Daily Show and Colbert Report clips too, and they're happy to have stright and gay and everything-in-between visitors.

Enjoy!!!!
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2006, 06:25:12 pm »
One of my favorite sites is www.malcovision.com .

Great site yaadpyar, I'll lose many hours here for sure!

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2006, 08:33:19 pm »

Great site yaadpyar, I'll lose many hours here for sure!

So glad you like it, but do be careful.  It is highly addictive, and it's almost impossible to view in small doses!   ;D
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2006, 07:03:12 pm »
And....LOL...where the HECK did you find that word?  I'm getting even MORE conturbulated about it!!  Could that be called hyperconturbulation?   ::)
 [/b] [/color]
I found "anonzoning" at http://www.variety.com/VR1117939918.html:
"So, Scientology, you may have won THIS battle, but the million-year war for earth has just begun! Temporarily anozinizing our episode will NOT stop us from keeping Thetans forever trapped in your pitiful man-bodies. Curses and drat! You have obstructed us for now, but your feeble bid to save humanity will fail! Hail Xenu!!!"

The duo signed the statement "Trey Parker and Matt Stone, servants of the dark lord Xenu."
I assume "anozoning" is a genuine Scientology word, ie LRH made it up, like he did "conturbulate".

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2006, 07:13:12 pm »
I assume "anozoning" is a genuine Scientology word, ie LRH made it up, like he did "conturbulate".

WTF?  Are these actual words (in scientology or otherwise), and do we have definitions?

Or is this just "cromulent" words used to "imbiggen" an idiot?

Offline juneaux

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Truth never damages a cause that is just.
~Mohandas Gandhi

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2006, 03:15:48 am »
Sorry, I misspelled: it should be "anozinizing". And "imbiggen" should be "embiggen". Embiggen is cromulent - Miss Krabopple said so - but the first 40 entries for "anozinizing" in Google are that same quotation.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 03:24:04 am by Shuggy »

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2006, 04:23:15 am »
Sorry, I misspelled: it should be "anozinizing". And "imbiggen" should be "embiggen". Embiggen is cromulent - Miss Krabopple said so - but the first 40 entries for "anozinizing" in Google are that same quotation.

Shesh!  Thanks for correcting my spelling shuggy, lucky I got cromulent right eh?

Strange that my spell checker wasn't much help on these?

I'll watch what I'm doing next time. ;)

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2006, 10:18:07 am »
I was going to try to clarify some of this terminology by researching Scientology on the web, but my search clarifies nothing.  I was going to post some of the more complicated aspects fo the philosphy, but couldn't find even one that I understood well enough to bring over here.

Check out Wikipedia for more...

"In Scientology doctrine, space opera was the term used by Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard to describe extraterrestrial civilizations and alien interventions in "past lives". Descriptions of "space opera" incidents play an important part in the beliefs of Scientology [1] and has led to Scientology being characterized by some critics and commentators as a "UFO religion" (Partridge, UFO Religions). Hubbard claimed that the modern-day science fiction genre of space opera is merely an unconscious recollection of real events from millions of years ago.

Scientology's doctrines famously include the story of Xenu, the ruler of the Galactic Confederacy who brought billions of frozen people to Earth 75 million years ago, stacked them around volcanoes and blew them up with hydrogen bombs. Xenu is only one element of Scientology beliefs in alien civilizations. Such doctrines have existed in Scientology virtually since its beginning, with Hubbard writing and lecturing about civilizations such as Helatrobus, the Espinol Confederacy and Arslycus in the 1950s and Xenu's Galactic Confederacy in the 1960s. He described repeated instances of them using brainwashing implants on hapless beings. He also spoke of alien invasions of Earth, such as that carried out around 6235 BC by the Fifth Invader Force, who were "very strange insect-like creature with unthinkably horrible hands."

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2006, 09:49:42 am »
I was going to try to clarify some of this terminology by researching Scientology on the web, but my search clarifies nothing.  I was going to post some of the more complicated aspects fo the philosphy, but couldn't find even one that I understood well enough to bring over here.

Thanks Celeste...  Inquiring minds want to know...  So we know what we're pointing and laughing at...

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2006, 10:16:19 pm »
THIS is tooooooo funny!  (www.toothpastefordinner.com)

Offline littledarlin

• darlin=andrew, guitar=mandy
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2006, 11:47:09 pm »
it's fun to laugh at scientologists, but objectively speaking, is scientology really any more ridiculous than any other organized religion that has ever existed?
We can hug on November, caress and nice oak.

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2006, 01:09:59 am »
it's fun to laugh at scientologists, but objectively speaking, is scientology really any more ridiculous than any other organized religion that has ever existed?

Err, well yes it is, and that's not because the other religions are more plausible.  But I don't think it's the basic belief system (faith) that's in question here.  Scientologists are just plain creepy, misogynistic, a*holes intent on financial world domination and the spreading of their lies, loosely veiled as teaching and doctrine, to control the masses and make themselves feel important... Oh hang on, you're right, there IS no difference.  So scientology IS a real religion after all!

But they do have Tom Cruise, that's definitely worth a laugh! :laugh:

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2006, 10:00:20 pm »
I tried really hard to read L. Ron Hubbard's Dianetics in college - cannot for the life of me remember why - but I do know that I could not get past 10-15 pages.  It was non-sensical, rambling, drivel as best I could tell.  And I am a voracious reader who will read pretty much anything at all with an open mind.  Just my 2 cents...
-Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline opinionista

Re: TRAPPED IN THE CLOSET EPISODE
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2006, 05:10:20 am »
You can watch the Trapped in the Closet episode at the link below. Hopefully it's still available for free viewing.

http://www.chefgate.info/
« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 08:07:05 am by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2006, 07:59:24 am »
I'm totally sticking with the Church of Fryintology (see above cartoon).  I love being able to get fries with my enlightenment. 

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2006, 08:36:36 am »
I tried really hard to read L. Ron Hubbard's Dianetics in college - cannot for the life of me remember why - but I do know that I could not get past 10-15 pages.  It was non-sensical, rambling, drivel as best I could tell.  And I am a voracious reader who will read pretty much anything at all with an open mind.  Just my 2 cents...

Same here, Lynne!  On all counts.

I was mad as hell at Tom Cruise during that whole anti- anti-depressants phase until I realized that by being such a numbskull asshole about it all, he was actually bettering one of my causes.  Having suffered through post-partum depression myself and having my life very possibly saved by Zoloft, you can only imagine my ire when I heard about that idiot shooting off his mouth about something he has no remote possibility of understanding.  But then he kept at it, so Brooke got involved, and then he kept at it some more, so Matt Lauer showed him for the imbecile he is.  So thank you Brooke, Matt, but mostly the "man" himself for bringing to light the FACT that severe clinical depression *is* a chemical imbalance that can only be treated with anti-depressants.  Oh, and I used to say I would never wish what I experienced on anyone.  I was wrong.  I would wish it on Tom.  Let's see you fix that with vitamins and exercise, Retardo Montalban.  Let us know how that all works out for ya.  (And God help poor Katie if she goes through it - I hope with all my might that she doesn't.)
No more beans!

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2006, 06:53:15 pm »

Err, well yes it is, and that's not because the other religions are more plausible.  But I don't think it's the basic belief system (faith) that's in question here.  Scientologists are just plain creepy, misogynistic, a*holes intent on financial world domination and the spreading of their lies, loosely veiled as teaching and doctrine, to control the masses and make themselves feel important... Oh hang on, you're right, there IS no difference.  So scientology IS a real religion after all!

:D :D