Author Topic: Poll: Your opinion on Jake's silence  (Read 119158 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: Poll: Your opinion on Jake's silence
« Reply #130 on: January 18, 2009, 11:55:46 pm »
Well, we don't know that either. 

And, I'd assume that they'd both want to forever be associated with all the films they worked on... not to mention their best film.

When you think about Jake and Heath as "special" co-stars... it actually brings Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet to mind and the special status they share together as co-stars of an important film, and longstanding friends (in the case of Kate and Leo).  Their (Leo and Kate's) status as "special co-stars" was actually made very clear in the way they were treated during the Golden Globes coverage this year.  Despite the fact that both Leo and Kate have had many important roles with lots of famous actors... there's an acknowledgement that they will forever be linked in a special way both in the public eye and in cinematic history. Leo and Kate are the icons associated with a love story that impacted so many people (not me actually, I never enjoyed Titanic) and I think that Heath and Jake have that kind of status, especially in the gay community.

It's interesting to think about since it seems that the BBM poster was designed with the Titanic poster.  To me, it seems that Jake and Heath have the potential to be that kind of duo as time goes along in terms of permanent association.  This is especially the case for Heath due to his tragic passing and career that's been cut short.  Even with Heath's important role in TDK, I don't think that those co-stars rise to the same level of association as Jake does for Heath.  And, I think this is particularly the case where serious cinematic history is concerned.

Perhaps, but Leo and Kate are both straight actors.  An off-screen close friendship between a man and woman who starred in the most money-making love story of all time is something that plays well to Hollywood, the media  and to the fans.  It does nothing to hurt their careers and can even enhance it  Both Jake and Heath are straight actors (so far as we know).  Maintaining a close friendship off screen is something both men might have had, but it doesn't play very well to Hollywood because they played two gay men.  This can lead to rumors, to type-casting and can be damaging to both their careers.  Hollywood is not totally on board yet with the idea that outwardly gay men can be leading men.  They may be proud of their work with good cause, and be friends of a sort off camera, but they might not have wanted to be associated primarily with a movie about two gay men sorry to say. 

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #131 on: January 19, 2009, 12:08:33 am »
Perhaps, but Leo and Kate are both straight actors.  An off-screen close friendship between a man and woman who starred in the most money-making love story of all time is something that plays well to Hollywood, the media  and to the fans.  It does nothing to hurt their careers and can even enhance it  Both Jake and Heath are straight actors (so far as we know).  Maintaining a close friendship off screen is something both men might have had, but it doesn't play very well to Hollywood because they played two gay men.  This can lead to rumors, to type-casting and can be damaging to both their careers.  Hollywood is not totally on board yet with the idea that outwardly gay men can be leading men.  They may be proud of their work with good cause, and be friends of a sort off camera, but they might not have wanted to be associated primarily with a movie about two gay men sorry to say. 

Well, I certainly hope this isn't the case.  And, when thinking about Jake in particular, I recall him being interviewed on a red carpet during the BBM days (it may even have been the Oscars red carpet back then) and he said he would never be ashamed or embarassed about anything having to do with the content of BBM.  He seemed affronted by the questioner who asked about his comfort level in being such a promiment figure in a now-iconic gay movie.  I think Jake is sensitive and genuinely understanding enough about gay issues (I'd assume, especially since he played Jack Twist... and probably has an understanding of that character beyond what many of us imagine) that he wouldn't let any element of homophobic reaction to BBM impact his decision about whether or not to offer a eulogy to Heath.  If so, some kind of tremendous step backwards has taken place... in terms of bowing to homophobic attitudes.  And, I really don't believe that of Jake.   I think and would hope he would rise above that kind of concern. 

I still believe his silence probably has to do with strong personal emotions... but all of this is clearly speculative.  And, these questions will continue to nag at us.  I still think a lot of the Brokie community is waiting for some kind of closure or resolution about the Jake question.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Dobie1018

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #132 on: January 19, 2009, 11:36:16 am »
I don't Jake owes us, the fans, anything.  I think he made his peace personally with Heath in his own way.  He was very silent, and unseen, if you remember, right after it happened.  To me, looking at all the photos and watching the videos and interviews done with them around the time when the movie came out, it showed that Heath & Jake were pretty good friends.  I think you have to be a very special friend of someone if you are asked to be their child's godfather.  Everyone grieves in their own way.  I think Jake chose to keep it personal.  Someday he may mention something about Heath, or BBM.  It's almost inevitable, isn't it, that the topic would come up at some point in the future?

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #133 on: January 19, 2009, 02:37:57 pm »
I don't Jake owes us, the fans, anything. 

I agree that I don't think this question is about appeasing his fan base, to me it's about doing something to honor Heath. 

I'm sure it will come up at some point for Jake. He still seems to be deliberately trying to avoid a lot interviews and especially spontaneous interviews like red carpet comments.  But, I also do think it's inevitable that questions will be put to him in some forum at some point on the subject of Heath.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #134 on: January 19, 2009, 02:47:21 pm »
Della and all, don't "straightjacket" Jake or Heath, or Leo or Kate for that matter!! Their sexual orientation is their own business and certainly not something for us to judge or comment on.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #135 on: February 07, 2009, 12:00:52 am »
I think it would have been nice for Jake to have said something, if not for Heath's sake, then certainly out of respect for Matilda, his goddaughter.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline horo04

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #136 on: February 07, 2009, 05:20:01 pm »
I really haven't been in the brokie loop much of lately but if Jake didn't say anything about Heath's passing I guess that is sort of odd.  Perhaps he was very distraught about it.  I know when someone close to me has died in the past...well I just didn't know what to say.  Maybe it was the same for him...who knows?
"The mountains are calling and I must go"

Offline souxi

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #137 on: February 08, 2009, 04:32:35 am »
I don,t really care any more wether he says anything or not. I guess it,s no ones business but his.

Offline MilAn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #138 on: February 08, 2009, 03:18:52 pm »
Same with his costars in Candy etc.

Abby Cornish paid tribute.  :)

Anyway, I'm one of those who thought it would have been great if Jake paid some sort of tribute to balance out the rag rubbish written about Heath. That's why i'm grateful for all the paid tributes from family, friends, co-stars etc. Jake decided to stay silent, he has his reasons. I don't expect him to say anything anymore, to be honest i don't even want him to talk about Heath when promoting one of his upcoming movies. I think that'd be tacky and that's why i think he'll continue to stay silent. I'm ok with it, it doesn't bother me anymore.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #139 on: February 09, 2009, 12:21:23 pm »
I've never really been bothered by it.  He had his reasons, and ours is not to wonder why.  I've always kind of thought that Heath would be bothered and bewildered by all the statements others have made - he hated drawing any kind of attention to himself.  At least, that's what his closest friends seem to say about him.

I've actually always felt really bad for Jake.  He obviously (to me) was quite distraught over it all.  His silence speaks volumes to that effect.  Had he come right out and made some kind of statement right away, I'd have figured at least he was OK.  My heart ached for him that he didn't.

People very close to me sometimes ask me about my Dad.  I still can't talk about him (because if I start, it rips me apart inside).  I think you've gotta respect that everyone deals with huge losses like this in their own way, and one way isn't better than another.  You've just gotta do what you've gotta do.
No more beans!