Author Topic: Do You Like Beans?  (Read 28451 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Do You Like Beans?
« on: March 26, 2008, 10:55:04 pm »
Do you love beans or hate them?  If you're a bean lover do you have a favorite type or a favorite recipe?

Also, here's a cool website with zillions of types of interesting beans.  Many more than are listed in this poll.

http://www.purcellmountainfarms.com/Heirloom%20Beans.htm

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline forsythia12

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Do You Like Beans?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 12:02:41 am »
omg you didn't add REFRIED BEANS!!!!! shame!  it's a mexican must!  lol
i picked kidney, and other.  the 'other' is for refried, and classic 'pork and beans' , whatever category that falls under.
i absolutely hate lima beans.  blah
cool poll amanda! surprised no one's thought of this one yet. ;D

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 08:58:10 am »
omg you didn't add REFRIED BEANS!!!!! shame!  it's a mexican must!  lol
i picked kidney, and other.  the 'other' is for refried, and classic 'pork and beans' , whatever category that falls under.
i absolutely hate lima beans.  blah
cool poll amanda! surprised no one's thought of this one yet. ;D

Hi forsythia!

Thanks for the suggestion!  I added refried beans to the list.  I also made it so that folks can edit their votes if they'd like based on this change.

:)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 09:14:34 am »
B&M Baked Beans with onion. Green limas with lots of butter and salt.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 05:56:47 pm »
My favourite, and the only canned baked beans I like are the ones in ham sauce.....baked beans on toast is a popular breakfast here in Australia. My hubby adds a couple of fried eggs as well.

And fresh green beans cut in slivers and slightly boiled with a pinch of carb soda to tenderize them, is my favourite also.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 06:18:21 pm »
I like all of the beans you mentioned! So I had to randomly pick three.

I not only like the taste, but I like their nutrition and economic profiles, too. Beans are perhaps the cheapest source of good protein. And they contain more fiber than most protein foods.

Here's an interesting bean fact that I heard this morning on the Today Show. Apparently they're now selling fresh green garbanzo beans! They're in little pods, kind of like endamame, only rounder. They sounded yummy!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 12:34:53 am »
great northern beans, pressure cooked with garlic, some ground turkey, comino, salt, sugar, and onion.

Offline nova20194

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 05:49:35 am »

BEANS ARE AWESOME!!!!!  LOVE 'EM ALL.  Well, most of them.

(and don't forget.....beans, beans are good for your heart!.........)   ;D

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 07:44:48 am »

I never much cared for baked beans pre-BBM, but now I always keep a couple of the teeny-weeny little cans in the pantry. They're just the right size to have on toast for breakfast or for a baked bean sandwich for lunch (delicious hot or cold on oven fresh crispy crust bread). 

I also like green beans, lightly steamed and served with garlic butter.

And I always put kidney beans in with my chilli.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 12:48:20 pm »
I really think Jack would have changed his mind about beans if he'd ever had a chance to try the Hickory Pit Beans from Fiorella's Jack Stack in Kansas City.  My Mom has even featured them on the table at Christmas dinner more than once.

Ennis and Jack could even order them via the Internet -- see http://www.jackstackbbq.com/category.asp?start=24&c=24&Hickory-Pit%20Beans=

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 01:47:03 pm »
After an expat friend who lives in London told me about the British predilection for baked beans on toast, I gave it a try and now have it from time to time (what's not to like about it, after all?). However, I eat baked beans on toast for dinner, usually accompanied by a nice salad, rather than for breakfast.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 01:48:49 pm »
I not only like the taste, but I like their nutrition and economic profiles, too. Beans are perhaps the cheapest source of good protein. And they contain more fiber than most protein foods.

Let's also not forget their musical value. ...  ;D  ;)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2008, 10:38:54 pm »

What exactly are the recipes for beans on toast?  I hear about this from time to time, but I've never had it... even in the times that I've traveled in the UK.

So, for a beginner, what's the best way to try this?
 ???

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2008, 12:30:06 am »
What exactly are the recipes for beans on toast?  I hear about this from time to time, but I've never had it... even in the times that I've traveled in the UK.

So, for a beginner, what's the best way to try this?
 ???

Hi Amanda. Here's what you should do to make the traditional Australian breakfast of baked beans on toast (it's probably done in a similar way in the UK):

1. Empty contents of can of baked beans into either sausepan or microwave dish and heat either on oven top or in microwave.

2. While beans are heating, place toast in toaster and toast on both sides.

3. When toast is ready, place on dinner plate and butter generously on top side.

4. Empty beans on top of toast and eat with knife and fork.

Easy-peasy!

Traditionally served with tea or coffee at breakfast time in Oz.

Heath would have been very familiar with this breakfast. He probably would have followed his baked beans with some vegemite on toast (eaten with fingers) and a big pot of freshly brewed tea. Mmmmm! Yum!

Enjoy!  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2008, 01:06:11 am »

Thanks Kerry! :)

Offline Berit

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2008, 04:56:37 am »
Oh, I Love Vegemite !!! I Once had a boyfriend whose older brother lived in Adelaide. He came to Sweden to visit his dad and he introdused me to Vegemite. My husband has lived a year in Oz, studied at Wellesley College. He doesn't like Vegemite but I LOVE IT !! I get it when people we know go to Australia....they just have to bring it home to me or....

Vegemitelover Berit
Ennis.....always Ennis.....

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2008, 09:02:57 am »

Oh, I Love Vegemite !!! I Once had a boyfriend whose older brother lived in Adelaide. He came to Sweden to visit his dad and he introdused me to Vegemite. My husband has lived a year in Oz, studied at Wellesley College. He doesn't like Vegemite but I LOVE IT !! I get it when people we know go to Australia....they just have to bring it home to me or....

Vegemitelover Berit

Haha, you sound like a true-blue, dinky-di Aussie, Berit!  :D

I too love vegemite and eat it at least once each day, usually at breakfast, but also sometimes on a sandwich at lunch. It's an excellent source of vitamin B.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

injest

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2008, 09:16:19 am »
Oh my GOD!! I can NOT believe no one has mentioned 'beans and cornbread' a staple here...heck, even concession stands carry it (and usually it is the first thing to sell out so get some quick!) well the BEST concession stands carry it. It is so popular that people mention it as a bonus..."Their concession stand serves beans and cornbread lets just eat when we get there"

and are black eyed PEAS considered beans?? cause if they are then my favorite is purple hull peas (some people call them 'trash peas' but dang they are good!)

injest

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2008, 11:59:43 am »
for you Philistines that have never had beans and cornbread:

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2007/08/beans_and_cornb/

here is a recipe for them....YUMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2008, 09:41:58 pm »
Oh my GOD!! I can NOT believe no one has mentioned 'beans and cornbread' a staple here...heck, even concession stands carry it (and usually it is the first thing to sell out so get some quick!) well the BEST concession stands carry it. It is so popular that people mention it as a bonus..."Their concession stand serves beans and cornbread lets just eat when we get there"

and are black eyed PEAS considered beans?? cause if they are then my favorite is purple hull peas (some people call them 'trash peas' but dang they are good!)

beans and peas are legumes and therefore related but not the same. both have high protein content and are very beneficial as a meat substitute in a low fat diet.

I personally like purple hull peas with snaps more than any type of bean, field peas are also very good.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2008, 10:10:05 pm »
Beans are healthy!!

Maybe that is why Ennis and Jack were so sexy ??

And pleased to be so ??

Au revoir sexys,
hugs!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2008, 10:16:16 pm »
Beans are healthy!!

Maybe that is why Ennis and Jack were so sexy ??

And pleased to be so ??

Au revoir sexys,
hugs!

I don't know maybe it was the "Wild Turkey"?

Offline Artiste

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2008, 07:07:12 pm »
Funny brokeplex!

I think that beans makes you more sexy!

Any such news? They sure are healthy!!

Hugs!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2008, 07:22:05 pm »
Hi Amanda. Here's what you should do to make the traditional Australian breakfast of baked beans on toast (it's probably done in a similar way in the UK):

1. Empty contents of can of baked beans into either sausepan or microwave dish and heat either on oven top or in microwave.

2. While beans are heating, place toast in toaster and toast on both sides.

3. When toast is ready, place on dinner plate and butter generously on top side.

4. Empty beans on top of toast and eat with knife and fork.

Easy-peasy!

Traditionally served with tea or coffee at breakfast time in Oz.

Heath would have been very familiar with this breakfast. He probably would have followed his baked beans with some vegemite on toast (eaten with fingers) and a big pot of freshly brewed tea. Mmmmm! Yum!

Heya!

So, I tried this for dinner tonight (minus the vegemite)!  I know it's supposed to be for breakfast, but I'm rarely on top of things enough in the morning to make a real breakfast.  Anyway, it was very tasty.  Is there any trick to preventing the toast from getting go soggy?  Or is that just part of the charm?  I really was good, and very filling.

8)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2008, 03:09:48 am »
I selected baked beans, green beans and kidney beans.

In Germany, when we speak of beans we only mean green beans. They are often eaten as a side dish with meat and potatoes. The other varieties are eaten much less (and I haven't heard of half the kinds of beans you listed  :laugh:).
I like kidney beans in chili and as salad.

Canned baked beans are also yummy with scrambled eggs for breakfast, European style.

I remember when I went to UK for the first time. I had heard of the English breakfast before, but was still taken aback when I was served baked beans, mushrooms, baked tomatoes, sausages and other stuff for breakfast :laugh:. If you had told me before I would like beans, mushrooms etc for breakfast, I would have denied the possibility.
But I LOVED it!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2008, 03:16:51 am »
Is there any trick to preventing the toast from getting go soggy?  Or is that just part of the charm?  I really was good, and very filling.

Don't put the beans on top of the toast. Leave them on the plate and eat with the fork. Use the toast instead of a knife to push them on the fork. This way the toast has a little sauce on it but doesn't get soggy.
This may not be the classical way, but it's the way I prefer it.

Offline souxi

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2008, 06:57:06 am »
Kerry your quite right, that is exactly how we have beans on toast in the UK. Now I,m really going to show myself up here and I know you,ll all laugh, but...what exactly IS cornbread? I,ve heard of it but I,ve no idea what it is sorry lol.
And I,m glad you liked the good old British full English breakfast Penthesilea, served with a huge mug of tea of course. Us Brits are awfuly partial to our tea, (said in my poshest English accent)  :laugh:
I like kidney beans in chilli, which I make hot, and I like baked beans on toast, with an egg on top too and smothered in HP sauce, yum yum.  ;D

Offline Berit

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2008, 04:27:25 pm »
Look at Cassandras posting, she has a lovely link there....I'm useless at copy so you have to go there.....there you have the recipe for cornbread and baked beans!! S yummie.... :laugh:

I love beans....but my husband doesn't love me eating them.....wonder why..... ;D :laugh: ??? ;D

Berit
Ennis.....always Ennis.....

Offline Artiste

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2008, 07:04:20 pm »
Just a thought!!

I am surprised that neither Ennis nor Jack ever made home made beans !! ??

Or did one or both ??

Au revoir,

hugs!

injest

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2008, 07:45:28 pm »
Kerry your quite right, that is exactly how we have beans on toast in the UK. Now I,m really going to show myself up here and I know you,ll all laugh, but...what exactly IS cornbread? I,ve heard of it but I,ve no idea what it is sorry lol.
And I,m glad you liked the good old British full English breakfast Penthesilea, served with a huge mug of tea of course. Us Brits are awfuly partial to our tea, (said in my poshest English accent)  :laugh:
I like kidney beans in chilli, which I make hot, and I like baked beans on toast, with an egg on top too and smothered in HP sauce, yum yum.  ;D

it is a coarse bread made up of buttermilk, reg milk, corn meal, eggs...yum it is delish!!

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2008, 10:56:41 pm »
Heya!

So, I tried this for dinner tonight (minus the vegemite)!  I know it's supposed to be for breakfast, but I'm rarely on top of things enough in the morning to make a real breakfast.  Anyway, it was very tasty.  Is there any trick to preventing the toast from getting go soggy?  Or is that just part of the charm?  I really was good, and very filling.

8)

I'm also not fond of the soggy toast, Vivien. So to keep your toast nice and crispy, instead of placing the beans on top of the toast, place the beans straight onto the middle of the plate and then cut your toast in triangular shaped halves, placing the toast pointy bits outwards, around the edge of the plate. Imagine a sunflower with the beans at the centre and the toast being the petals around the outside. This way you avoid the soggy toast syndrome. It's the way I personally prefer it.

P.S., Though it's traditionally a breakfast meal in Oz, I too, Vivien, sometimes enjoy baked beans on toast (guess that should be "baked beans and toast") as a light meal at night sometimes, when I'm not feeling overly hungry and just feel like a snack, instead of a large, full meal.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2008, 10:58:43 pm »
it is a coarse bread made up of buttermilk, reg milk, corn meal, eggs...yum it is delish!!

Helloooooooooooooooo!  :D  Is that you, Jess?   ???  Um, le sheriff?    :-\
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

injest

« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2008, 11:19:00 pm »
Helloooooooooooooooo!  :D  Is that you, Jess?   ???  Um, le sheriff?    :-\

LOL!

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

Yes it is me! Jess!!

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2008, 12:00:34 am »

LOL!

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

Yes it is me! Jess!!

Psssst! Why are you incognito, Jess?!
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2008, 12:06:04 am »

don't forget the jalepenos!

injest

« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2008, 12:09:11 am »

Psssst! Why are you incognito, Jess?!

LOL!!

It was a April Fools joke!! A bunch of people changed their names today....but it is hard for me to hide with that 24000 posts!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2008, 12:51:59 am »

LOL!!

It was a April Fools joke!! A bunch of people changed their names today....but it is hard for me to hide with that 24000 posts!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Oh, I didn't twig that it'd be an April Fools Day thing 'cause it's already halfway through April 2 where I am!  8)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2008, 01:22:36 am »
Oh, I didn't twig that it'd be an April Fools Day thing 'cause it's already halfway through April 2 where I am!  8)

LOL!  Yep, Kerry last year a bunch of folks changed their usernames on April Fool's Day... which, seems to have started a little tradition (I guess a bi-annual) tradition around here.  I think it's pretty funny and it's amazing how confusing it really can be sometimes. I didn't change my name last year, but I remember being utterly amazed when I logged on last April 1st and saw all these unfamiliar screen names.  So, I was determined to give it a try this year.

So, I've switched back to my normal username now, but I'm keeping the cat avatar for a while, because I kind of like it.  (By the way, Vivien is my cat's name... and she's a little black cat... so that was my inspiration this year :) ).

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2008, 02:32:31 am »
LOL!  Yep, Kerry last year a bunch of folks changed their usernames on April Fool's Day... which, seems to have started a little tradition (I guess a bi-annual) tradition around here.  I think it's pretty funny and it's amazing how confusing it really can be sometimes. I didn't change my name last year, but I remember being utterly amazed when I logged on last April 1st and saw all these unfamiliar screen names.  So, I was determined to give it a try this year.

So, I've switched back to my normal username now, but I'm keeping the cat avatar for a while, because I kind of like it.  (By the way, Vivien is my cat's name... and she's a little black cat... so that was my inspiration this year :) ).

You well and thoroughly April Fooled me, Amanda.  :o  I didn't twig that Vivien was you at all.  :-\  Though, now that I do know, an alarm bell should have gone off when Vivien greeted me with a hearty "Heya!"   ;)   :laugh:

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

injest

« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2008, 08:40:18 am »
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww3wYL_0QHI&feature=related[/youtube]

baked beans on toast??

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2008, 09:20:35 am »

You well and thoroughly April Fooled me, Amanda.  :o  I didn't twig that Vivien was you at all.  :-\  Though, now that I do know, an alarm bell should have gone off when Vivien greeted me with a hearty "Heya!"   ;)   :laugh:

:laugh:  Well, I hope you had a fun time yesterday trying to figure out who everyone was!  It looks like a bunch of folks still have not switiched back to their normal identities quite yet. 

Offline ZK

« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2008, 11:53:08 pm »
Hey

I did not realise its a UK, Ozzie and kiwi thing to eat beans! Personally I like to eat them as follows:
fry two eggs
2 rashers of bacon,
(put toast in toaster)
then fry the beans in left over fat from the bacon

PS Marmite is infinitely better than Vegemite, and bovril on with fresh bread tops the lot

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2008, 10:03:12 am »
Hey

I did not realise its a UK, Ozzie and kiwi thing to eat beans! Personally I like to eat them as follows:
fry two eggs
2 rashers of bacon,
(put toast in toaster)
then fry the beans in left over fat from the bacon

PS Marmite is infinitely better than Vegemite, and bovril on with fresh bread tops the lot

Thum thar's fightin' words, Matt! Ain't nothin' better'n Vegemite haha lol!  ;)   ;)   :laugh:
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline ZK

« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2008, 07:24:16 pm »
Thum thar's fightin' words, Matt! Ain't nothin' better'n Vegemite haha lol!  ;)   ;)   :laugh:
On no, not a trans tasman rivalry match.....umm so lets not mention underarm bowling  :o, Phar Lap   ;D but we'll let you have Russel Crowe OK ;) LOL

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2008, 10:44:13 pm »

Looking at the results of this poll... I'm surprised that more folks haven't voted for pinto beans.  I totally love pinto beans... I think I even prefer them slightly to kidney beans.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2008, 05:54:14 pm »
Yes, all beans I think !!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2008, 05:54:49 pm »
Did anyone taste the beans in the BM movie yet ??

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2008, 06:51:39 pm »
Green Beans, Lima Beans and Black Eyed Peas! I could probably even eat them all mixed together in a bowl!

I LOVE mixed vegetables with the peas, lima beans, carrots, corn and green beans mixed together. Yummy. Sometimes I won't even bother heating them up. Just open up a can and stick a spoon in it! :D

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2008, 11:00:54 am »
No BM beans ?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2008, 12:35:24 am »
No BM beans ?

You know, that's weird you asked that because I seem to remember a brand of beans called Bettermost when I was a kid. I'm probably confused and remembering something else, but it sure seems like I remember seeing those. If I saw them for sale at the grocery now, I'd DEFINATELY buy them! :)

Offline Artiste

« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2008, 12:06:00 pm »
Merci David !

Find out if they still exist, OK ?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2008, 12:23:39 pm »
You know, that's weird you asked that because I seem to remember a brand of beans called Bettermost when I was a kid. I'm probably confused and remembering something else, but it sure seems like I remember seeing those. If I saw them for sale at the grocery now, I'd DEFINATELY buy them! :)

This is really interesting David!  I had been under the impression that BetterMost was a fictitious brand.  It would be interesting to see examples of the original, real packaging of BetterMost beans.  It might be an interesting research project.  And, then we as Brokies and BetterMostians can go out and collect vintage BetterMost cans if they exist.
 ;D

Maybe BetterMost really is like the situation with "Old Rose".  It seems that Old Rose is a discontinued whiskey brand... or a famous old distillery that went out of business.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2008, 02:54:31 am »
This is really interesting David!  I had been under the impression that BetterMost was a fictitious brand.  It would be interesting to see examples of the original, real packaging of BetterMost beans.  It might be an interesting research project.  And, then we as Brokies and BetterMostians can go out and collect vintage BetterMost cans if they exist.
 ;D

Maybe BetterMost really is like the situation with "Old Rose".  It seems that Old Rose is a discontinued whiskey brand... or a famous old distillery that went out of business.

Well, like I said Amanda, I SEEM to remember them. The first time I noticed them in the movie the name rang a vague bell. But it could purely be my imagination.... or my bad memory. :D

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2008, 09:05:57 pm »

I remember some ancient discussions here and maybe back at imdb too about Old Rose.  And, I do recall once finding a teeny, tiny bit of information about an old, old distillery that was based in Chicago (I seem to recall that part), but that went out of business a really long time ago.  I also have a vague memory of folks finding an image online of an old, vintage shot glass with the (real life) Old Rose logo on it.  But, for some reason I'm having trouble finding info on it at the moment.  I just ran some google and yahoo searches and didn't come up with any hits this time. 

As for BetterMost, I always really thought it was made up.  But, I'd love to be proven wrong!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2008, 09:10:59 pm »
I remember some ancient discussions here and maybe back at imdb too about Old Rose.  And, I do recall once finding a teeny, tiny bit of information about an old, old distillery that was based in Chicago (I seem to recall that part), but that went out of business a really long time ago.  I also have a vague memory of folks finding an image online of an old, vintage shot glass with the (real life) Old Rose logo on it.  But, for some reason I'm having trouble finding info on it at the moment.  I just ran some google and yahoo searches and didn't come up with any hits this time. 

As for BetterMost, I always really thought it was made up.  But, I'd love to be proven wrong!

Old Rose isn't real? Because I seem to remember drinking that brand years ago! lol

Oh lord, now I'm REALLY confused! :-\

Yes, let's do a google search and research and see what we come up with! It could be interesting. :D

Offline Artiste

« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2008, 08:38:31 pm »
Why Old Rose came up ?

Is that the booze Ennis and Jack was drinking ?

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2008, 10:04:27 pm »
Why Old Rose came up ?

Is that the booze Ennis and Jack was drinking ?

Yes, when Ennis and Jack are on their last camping trip on the evening when Jack says he misses Ennis so much "he can hardly stand it"... they're shown passing a bottle of whiskey back and for that has an "Old Rose" label on it.

Old Rose isn't real? Because I seem to remember drinking that brand years ago! lol

Oh lord, now I'm REALLY confused! :-\

Yes, let's do a google search and research and see what we come up with! It could be interesting. :D

Well, there are real brands out there with the world "Old" involved.  There's Old Crow, Old Whiskey River, Old Overholt, Old Rip VanWinkle, Anchor Old Potrero and Old Granddad. The only one of this list I've tried is Old Granddad (which is incredibly strong, 100 proof!). But, truly, as far as I can tell there's no current version of Old Rose out there on the market (unless I'm just totally not hitting on it doing google searches).

More research on this would be great! 8)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2008, 10:12:40 pm »
Here are a few interesting whiskey websites that discuss different brands.  None of them seem entirely comprehensive.

http://www.whiskymag.com/whisky/

http://cocktails.about.com/od/spirits/p/whiskey_brands.htm

http://www.dcs.ed.ac.uk/home/jhb/whisky/brands.html

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2008, 10:15:12 pm »
I can't find anything about BetterMost beans.  However, there is a B&M brand baked beans:  http://www.bgfoods.com/bm/bm_products.asp

Yummmm. :P

8)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2008, 11:36:22 am »
Amanda, you sure do have some interesting polls and threads!!! I am glad I am finding new parts of Bettermost. Sometimes I get stuck on the same places when there is so much to discover here. Anyway, I voted for Green Beans and that is for Green Bean Casserole - I love that!!! I also voted Black Eyed Peas and Navy Beans. I do also like Baked Beans. And Kidney Beans are great in chili as well as in 3 bean salad. Here is something interesting I did one year in my garden. I planted the usual things like Green Beans, Pole Beans, and Yellow Wax Beans. I had corn growing that year and in case people don't know corn can provide a great thing for beans to climb on. Anyway, I had some dried beans from the grocery store - there were Navy Beans, Pinto Beans, Lima Beans, Black Eyed Peas and some others. I planted some of these to see what would happen. And guess what? They came up and produced big plants with lots of beans.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2008, 01:13:03 pm »
More beans please !

Did I say that ?

I love beans !

Did you see my mother's recipe ?

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #61 on: May 23, 2008, 01:20:40 pm »
Amanda, you sure do have some interesting polls and threads!!! I am glad I am finding new parts of Bettermost. Sometimes I get stuck on the same places when there is so much to discover here. Anyway, I voted for Green Beans and that is for Green Bean Casserole - I love that!!! I also voted Black Eyed Peas and Navy Beans. I do also like Baked Beans. And Kidney Beans are great in chili as well as in 3 bean salad. Here is something interesting I did one year in my garden. I planted the usual things like Green Beans, Pole Beans, and Yellow Wax Beans. I had corn growing that year and in case people don't know corn can provide a great thing for beans to climb on. Anyway, I had some dried beans from the grocery store - there were Navy Beans, Pinto Beans, Lima Beans, Black Eyed Peas and some others. I planted some of these to see what would happen. And guess what? They came up and produced big plants with lots of beans.

I like that!  If you plant it, it will grow!  ;) :-*
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #62 on: May 23, 2008, 01:26:56 pm »
I like that!  If you plant it, it will grow!  ;) :-*

Yes I was quite surprised that they came up!!! I even tried it again another year and it worked. So dried beans apparently are not processed in any way. They are just bean seeds. I would have thought they would have gone through some type of processing since everything else does  ;)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #63 on: May 23, 2008, 01:29:24 pm »
Yes I was quite surprised that they came up!!! I even tried it again another year and it worked. So dried beans apparently are not processed in any way. They are just bean seeds. I would have thought they would have gone through some type of processing since everything else does  ;)

That's very cool to know Bud! 

I remember when I was little we had a little vegetable garden in the backyard.  And, we grew green beans (among other things).  I never thought to plant regular dried beans before.

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #64 on: May 23, 2008, 01:33:00 pm »
That's very cool to know Bud! 

I remember when I was little we had a little vegetable garden in the backyard.  And, we grew green beans (among other things).  I never thought to plant regular dried beans before.

Try them. They will work or at least they did for me. Don't you live in a city though? Hey I noticed you aren't going to Wyoming. And Lynne I noticed you aren't going either.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #65 on: May 23, 2008, 02:35:57 pm »
Try them. They will work or at least they did for me. Don't you live in a city though? Hey I noticed you aren't going to Wyoming. And Lynne I noticed you aren't going either.

I know...Very sad about that too, Jack.  A close friend is getting married on June 7 and I couldn't figure out a good (translate inexpensive) way to get back from the Roundup early.  I hope you have a fabulous time!  Take lots of pictures to share when you get back!
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Artiste

« Reply #66 on: May 23, 2008, 10:24:09 pm »
I enjoy growing beans in the backyard last year !

One could cultivate too on a city balcony too !

Any pics ?

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #67 on: May 27, 2008, 10:14:17 am »
Yes, when Ennis and Jack are on their last camping trip on the evening when Jack says he misses Ennis so much "he can hardly stand it"... they're shown passing a bottle of whiskey back and for that has an "Old Rose" label on it.

Well, there are real brands out there with the world "Old" involved.  There's Old Crow, Old Whiskey River, Old Overholt, Old Rip VanWinkle, Anchor Old Potrero and Old Granddad. The only one of this list I've tried is Old Granddad (which is incredibly strong, 100 proof!). But, truly, as far as I can tell there's no current version of Old Rose out there on the market (unless I'm just totally not hitting on it doing google searches).

More research on this would be great! 8)

I could swear I once found a photo on Google images of a whiskey bottle labeled Old Rose. But in subsequent searches, I've never been able to find it.

I just did a Google search of "Old Rose" and "whiskey," and the first thing that came up was this page!  :laugh:

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #68 on: May 27, 2008, 10:36:19 am »
I could swear I once found a photo on Google images of a whiskey bottle labeled Old Rose. But in subsequent searches, I've never been able to find it.

I know!  This is the same thing that's happening to me lately.  I remember those old discussions about Old Rose and I even seem to remember an image of an antique shot glass with the Old Rose name on it (found through googling).  And, I also feel like I remember that the Old Rose distillery was in Chicago and shut down decades and decades ago.  But, now (with the re-emergence of this subject here) I can't find any of this again through googling.  Weird.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #69 on: May 27, 2008, 11:22:01 am »
Have to go with Jack on this one - no more beans! :D